Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: esc  (Read 1971 times)

mickkays

• Shipmate
  • up spirits
esc
« on: August 31, 2020, 03:31:34 pm »

Hi to all,
I am a yachty and my new build will include a get you home motor.
The brushed  motor draws 2 to 4 amp driving a 35mm prop. What esc am i looking to buy as i have not the slightest idea. Thank you.
Mickkays
LME Slinger

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
Re: esc
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 03:54:26 pm »

Hi, a 10 amp esc should be big enough,I usually base my esc on the stall current of the motors I am going to use.
What motor are you using? What size boat is it going in, what battery are you going to use.
It all matters.

John

mickkays

• Shipmate
  • up spirits
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 04:40:01 pm »

Hello John44
Thanks for your reply.
The yacht is 45" The battery is a 6v sla 3.4ah As for the motor there is no info on it It is brushed and came from Krick.
It is classed as a standard motor.
Do the esc have to be fused if so what size for a 10 amp? Do i have to specify brushed, what do they mean by brake and do they have reverse?
Thank you
LME Slinger

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:04:46 pm »

Hi Mickkays.  Which yacht have you got?  What are you building?  Seems a very big battery for a yacht.  My experience of getting you home for yachts is that you only need minimal power.  Yachts are so easy to push through the water that even at 45 inches long, 6 volts at 1 amp is enough.
Regards
Roy

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 07:20:41 pm »

Hi again, if you measure the can (body)of the motor And it measures 380mm it’s a 380 motor if it measures 400mm
It’s a 400 motor,500mm is a 500 size motor. Yes I would certainly fit a fuse just in case you get tangled up in weed
Or fishing line. I fuse one of the motor wires in my boats, others fuse one of the battery, personal choose really
If it is a 400 motor it is probably high revs and would get quite hot turning a 35mm propeller

John

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 08:21:56 pm »

John - I think you might want to rethink the measurements!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 08:24:24 am »

Thats a heckuva big lump of lead to stick inside the hull of a yacht.  A 5 pack of "C" size NiMH will do the job just as well, but still leave the yacht able to perform as a yacht. Packs available pre built.
A 385 motor (same size as a 380, more poles, not as thirsty) will give the required power.  Use it with a 2 blade prop about 30mm diameter.  Less blades, less drag.  Same with less diameter.  Control it with a Mtronics Marine Viper 10.  Krick's "standard" motor might be anything, measuring the can is a start, but doesn't tell you what is inside.
Any motor with "38" starting its number will be 38mm long, as will any "400" series motor.  Some manufacturers rounded up the number to make life simpler for some.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RST

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 10:25:23 am »

Is it a krick Antares?  There's a little more info and recommendations online for that?

mickkays

• Shipmate
  • up spirits
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 04:24:57 pm »

Hello RST,
Yes it is a Krick Antares Yacht  and the motor is a 450 type according to their web. What i can't find out is what esc to buy, as this is all very strange to me.
Thanks
LME Slinger

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 09:04:11 pm »

https://www.krickshop.de/Drive-Set-Classic-Sailing-Yachts.htm?shop=krick_e&SessionId=&a=article&ProdNr=42370&rdeocl=1&rdetpl=productpage&rdebox=box1

- details the recommended motor, drive shaft, coupler and prop in one set.  At the bottom of the page it suggests the required size of battery and a suggested ESC -

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbywing-quicrun-60a-2s-3s-waterproof-brushed-esc-for-1-10.html?countrycode=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxbCYm9_I6wIVhWDmCh11KACCEAQYASABEgK1K_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&___store=en_us

The ESC is probably massive overkill, but not expensive as ESCs go.  What will control a lot will control a little equally well.  Thats the beauty of PWM type ESCs.

A 450 size motor is not common.  If its 45mm long, fair enough.  If its 54mm long, its a missplint.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RST

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 10:23:12 pm »

I never heard of a 370 motor until I saw one.  If we can hear back what the can diameter is it might help. I just checked and I have a 385 longer than a 400 motor also, with 380s in between.  If you look at the spec for the motoring kit (seems over priced for what it is but hey ho) it does give running currents so as usual, finger tests on motors etc. If in doubt of stall currents add a bit extra.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 08:34:28 am »

Hi all, just looking at the Krick photos suggests 3 sail winches of very high power.  There will be more power required here than for the prop. 

Having a similar size yacht 45 inch loa schooner I manage on just one sail winch.  The sails all go in and out together so wonder what they are proposing?
Just re-working the winch on a smaller 36 inch yacht at this moment and unless you are going racing only a medium amount of power is needed.  This model has just under 4 square feet of sail.  The sail servo I am using is a winch type but the same size as a standard servo.  Runs all afternoon on 1 off 4.8 volt AA pack 2100mAhs capacity.
If our builder is taking this on as a first time yacht build there is an awful lot to do and learn.
Best regards
Roy

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 06:22:59 pm »

John - I think you might want to rethink the measurements!

Chris

Hi Chris, you spotted the deliberate mistake  %) they should have read 40,50,& 60mm

My apologies

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 06:27:54 pm »

600mm is 60cm or around two feet....

Power of Ten.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.