Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building IJN Yamato version Operation Ten-Ichi-Go  (Read 1523 times)

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Building IJN Yamato version Operation Ten-Ichi-Go
« on: September 02, 2020, 09:31:43 am »

Hello everyone,
I started building 1/96th scale IJN Yamato from Miyukikai's plan in Yokohama some time ago http://www2.odn.ne.jp/miyukikai/sub1.htmThe plans are beautifully detailed but are 1/200, so I had to convert the size of the frames through scanning and printing to scale with my computer. I also acquired everything that's ever been written on Yamato.

I had to build a jig so that everything is nice and straight.

I also glued spacers near the top of the frames for rigidity. It's a rather large beast! :D

Then, on with the planking using hard wood (can't remember what it is now).

And, once finished, I use the same technique that I used on Richelieu: 80gr/M2 glass cloth and SR5550 epoxy.

to finish the hull, I then apply SR5550 mixed with a filler until I get a fairly thick consistency applied with a brush.
Once sanded down, it gives a rather nice surface.

I always hate putting the bilge keels because it's so difficult to measure properly.

also, they have to be beveled through sanding; not easy either.

Then comes the running gear which comes from fleetscale UK. What I did, though, was use the stems in Raboesch maintenance free tubes, so no worrying about grease. The 2 rudders comes from Fleetscale as well. The propellers are magnificent.

For the stem seats, I actually soldered M4 bolts to each one and they go through the hull with a nut on the other side.

That's it for now! ;D
Cheers
Serge

Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building IJN Yamato version Operation Ten-Ichi-Go
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »

HI Serge I have enclosed the link to my 1/200 model Yamato

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58529.new#new

Stan

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 05:03:13 pm »

Hello everyone,
today, I completed Yamato's radio setup and I managed to stick it into my fish pond to check if the beast is waterproof and to test the engines.
Engine setup:

The test is also used to check where to center the battery packs (total weight 12Kg).

I did promised it and I did do it! I used my son Alexandre to add a bit of weight and get the ship a bit more into it's waterline  :-)) [size=78%](I feed him enough so it might as well be used for something!)[/size][/size].[size=78%] %)

The motors work very well, but I find the propellers starting to cavitate from 50% throttle. From memory, Richelieu's propellers could spin faster before that happened.
[youtube]c8Bd3YXDzo4[/youtube]
Please Note: No fish was hurt during the process of testing.  %)
The result of the test is that there was a slight amount of water in the aft engine compartment as well as in the compartment right behind it. I'll need to ascertain where the water is coming from by removing turret C plate and performing the test again next Weekend or whether it's just Alexandre climbing on it letting some water in.

Cheers

Serge
Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, E terra magnum alterius spectare laborem(Lucrece: De Natura Rerum)

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 06:02:28 am »

Thats one big model!
How much ballast do you think it will need?  :-)) :-))

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 06:05:28 am »

Thats one big model!
How much ballast do you think it will need?  :-)) :-))

Hello,
about 55 Kg.

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 06:33:44 am »

Impressive build, good luck  :-))
Regards,

Rich

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:42:12 am »

Looking good, a question on the motors, looking at them I assume they are brusheless, the size of them appeals for next project, may I ask which make they are?

Bob
I will finish this model

Richelieu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 01:42:11 pm »

Looking good, a question on the motors, looking at them I assume they are brusheless, the size of them appeals for next project, may I ask which make they are?
Bob
Hello Bob,ouch, touchy subject, as they are hard to come by.find them here: https://www.amazon.com/GARTT-GarttML3508-Brushless-Multirotor-Multicopter/dp/B00LM3HC28they are extremelly efficient.
or here:https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32854872341.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=248-630-5778&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Gploogle_7_shopping&aff_atform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&gclsrc=aw.ds&&albagn=888888&&ds_e_adid=438856512850&ds_e_matchtype=&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=u&ds_e_product_group_id=539263010115&ds_e_product_id=fr32854872341&ds_e_product_merchant_id=105365589&ds_e_product_country=FR&ds_e_product_language=fr&ds_e_product_channel=online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&ds_dest_url=https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32854872341.html?&albcp=10191220526&albag=107473525328&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAduJtMYdaBOxNJWN3xMkCVoHHFQOYB_a65u1o61B-kY__CEt75U1LEgaAgKrEALw_wcB

the important thing is to get low KV ones.then you also have to find the controllers that fit them.The motors come from quadricopters, the controllers from 1/8 RC cars (need reverse).it's a good match!  8) This weekend, I stuck the ship into the pond again with my foot on it, and no leaks. I throttled full up and emptied quite alot of water from the pond. Plenty of power!Cheers
Serge
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.