Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LesRo Streaker.  (Read 1789 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
LesRo Streaker.
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:16:16 am »

I have just seen an eBay advert for a new and un-started boxed kit of a LesRo Streaker.

This interested me quit a bit as it looked (at least to my tired old eyes) exactly like a LesRo Javelin.

Both models share the same Rapier hull, but from what I can see the superstructure of both the Javelin and Streaker look so similar I can't imagine why LesRo would bother to make another "new" design that looked so much like one they already had.....perhaps there was a problem with the Javelin name that caused a "re-brand" or maybe it was an "improved" later mark of Javelin?

Having recently bought a used Javelin" on eBay (the seller never identified the boat - I just thought that it was a Javelin), I am now not so sure that the boat I recently bought actually is a Javelin - maybe it is a Streaker?

I can find very little information or find any pictures that show the Streaker so that I can more closely compare it with (what I think) is my Javelin....so does anyone know how to tell a Javelin from a Streaker?

Maybe they are the same boat (?) but for some reason LesRo chose to rename it.  This also seems a little strange as the Javelin was a well known and top selling model (lots more Javelins sold than Rapiers) so why would they want to risk loosing any sales by re-naming it?

I have also seen that in typical LesRo method of the time (think Rapier and Stiletto), they also made a smaller version called the Mini Streaker!

To conclude this mystery - does anyone know when the Streaker was first offered for sale and presumably replaced the (identical ?) Javelin.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LesRo Streaker.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:47 pm »

Hello
I can't help with your specific questions but it wouldn't surprise me if the same Lesro models had different names over the years, I have got a Lesro Ramrod from at least 40 years ago which is now named Sprite but it is exactly the same model
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 08:30:03 pm »

Hi Leaky,

That is very interesting- if LesRo have changed the name of one of their models, then there is every possibility that they could have re-named the Javelin too.

Perhaps they thought that a new name could attract new customers, but there must be the possibility that the names that they had been using had been registered by another user and they were asked to change it?

Let’s hope somebody who owns a Streaker, or perhaps a dealer that used to sell them (or somebody from LesRo) will be able to help us find out if the Javelin and the Streaker are the same boat that had no changes other than the name.

If we could find out when this change was made (if it was only a name change) that would also be interesting.

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 11:43:37 am »

I don't know how you keep finding these boats Bob!

I had a look on Ebay and couldn't find it.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 01:18:50 pm »

I don't know how you keep finding these boats Bob!

I had a look on Ebay and couldn't find it.

Chris

Must have been a stroke of luck - I don’t spend much time on the internet - I prefer to be out walking or riding my bike........apart from when I am playing with my model boats  {-)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 05:03:13 pm »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lesro-Models-034-Streaker-034-vintage-wooden-boat-kit-with-plans-/154076617683?nma=true&si=J3r9zXGCqGlsxLBINOUc3cpzCGk%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It seems to be a “tradition” that all unmade LesRo model boat kits from the 60’s and 70’s have to have been kept in a loft with a slight leak to make sure it has a water stained lid and/or box label.

Another option is for the wooden parts inside to be warped so you know it’s genuine  :-)) :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 08:21:13 pm »

Thanks Martin, I think it must have already finished before I had a look.

You could almost build it from those photographs!  {-)

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 08:49:16 pm »

I think in the absence of any information to the contrary we can reasonably guess that the LesRo Streaker is exactly the same boat as the LesRo Javelin in all but name!

Why is was renamed and when it was renamed will have to remain a mystery.......until or unless somebody who knows the answer to these questions happens to come along to help us with the answers.

Anyone who has built a Javelin (or a Streaker) from kit may be able to advise us if any updates or changes were made to improve the later model in any way  - and that would be interesting to know if the only changes were to the name on the box label, plans and building instructions  ;)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 11:30:43 am »

Perhaps it was just that streaker became synonymous with various folks who felt the need to run naked through various sporting events!

Don't know when the change of name happened but Erika Roe in 1982 is probably a bit late?

Chris 

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 12:07:21 pm »

Possibly named after Erica Rowe eh?

Now that could be a good name for a Streaker, and some interesting art work too.

Maybe if anyone reading this blog actually bought a new Streaker kit and they could let us know the year of the purchase we could begin to narrow down the likely year of the name change?

At home I have the Model Boats kit review for the Javelin so I will record the date of the magazine and we can begin to narrow-down the time period of the name change - but we still won’t know if the kit was changed or updated in any way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.