Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slec Fairy Huntsman Build  (Read 5802 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Slec Fairy Huntsman Build
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 12:42:18 pm »

They do have a tendency to sit a little bow down at rest due to the sleek shape of the bow providing less support. The full sized boat has the advantage of two big diesels and fuel tanks etc. to keep the bow up!

Colin - won't hollowing out the balsa make it more buoyant?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 12:53:21 pm »

Evening session at the lake last night, so I took the Huntsman. So much quieter with the replacement prop shaft.

I think I might have to add a tiny bit of ballast at the back, or try moving the battery tray backwards. The boat sits a little low at the front at rest, but almost leaves the water at full throttle. I noticed a couple of times as I crossed the wake of other boats that it momentarily lost drive, as if the prop was coming out of the water.
I suppose this could be perfectly normal for a relatively fast and lightweight boat that's sharing lake space with big lifeboats though?

I am also using modeboatbits M5 prop shafts and find they work well enough without the extra cost of ball raced shafts - although I will be trying a ball raced type in a future build to see if I can notice any difference.

Heaver boats and bigger boats generally handle the wake produced by other craft on the club lake better than smaller boats or lighter weight boats - but skipping across the wake with a nice performing model shuch as the Huntsman can be a lot of fun!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2020, 01:02:36 pm »

Colin - won't hollowing out the balsa make it more buoyant?

I meant externally by carving off a bit too much and introducing excessive flare.

Colin

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2020, 01:41:23 pm »

Thanks for the link to the Bruder figures - I've ordered a couple.

Also good to know that I'm not the only one who finds the "stance" to be a little nose down at rest - it means I didn't build it wrong!

I agree that running through other boats' wakes can be fun - as long as you aren't doing a fast turn at the time. This is the fastest boat that I've built so far, and it tends to skip a lot more than my slower boats.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2020, 01:54:44 pm »

I agree that running through other boats' wakes can be fun - as long as you aren't doing a fast turn at the time. This is the fastest boat that I've built so far, and it tends to skip a lot more than my slower boats.

As long it is safe to do so (with enough space and with no other boats in harms way) I often look forward to seeing another large boat producing a sizeable wake on our club lake so I can seek it out and jump across it!  :-))

Lots of fun with a good handling boat such as the Huntsman etc..........

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2020, 03:28:28 pm »

Like this?  :-)

Colin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2020, 04:59:36 pm »

Like this?  :-)

Colin

That almost looks like diving Colin - not at all like jumping over the wake that I enjoy doing so much.

I had an ED Krak-A-Long a long time ago, and it had an unusual "anhedral" deck shape that turned downwards towards the bows.  This unusual shape caused the boat to dive into a wave and used the trapped air inside the boat to keep it boyant and continue to make forward progress whilst under water.

The boat would eventually burst out of the other side of the wave without loosing too much forward progress.

When competing against them when racing off-shore in heavy seas with my Swordsman they gained a lot of time as my boat climbed every wave and got pushed back time after time.

The Krack-A-Longs progress was much better than the Swordsman under these severe conditions, but I wouldn't  fancy the chances of that steamer peforming as well!

Stay safe!

Bob.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 05:39:53 pm »

Does anybody make a range of couplings that allow for a tiny bit of motor misalignment while running without vibration and noise at higher RPM with a relatively powerful brushless setup?  I built a tug that had room for a pair of red joints joined with a back to back coupler, and that seems to work well. Not sure how it would work at 12,000 RPM though.
Silicon tubing is quiet, but I think it would struggle with the power.

Few people seem to use a coupling like this.  I have used it on a fairly powerful runabout and it is quiet, tolerant of a small angular misalignment and longitudinal accuracy, and can deliver a fair whack of power without exploding.  Not sure why they aren't more popular.

Raboesch Needle Coupling    Raboesch Needle Coupling

Greg

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 06:30:12 pm »

Few people seem to use a coupling like this.  I have used it on a fairly powerful runabout and it is quiet, tolerant of a small angular misalignment and longitudinal accuracy, and can deliver a fair whack of power without exploding.  Not sure why they aren't more popular.

Raboesch Needle Coupling    Raboesch Needle Coupling

Greg

Those look ideal, I'll try one on my current build - SLEC Huntress.

Do you know if they fit the standard adaptors that are used with the red couplings (I've got a box full of those), or will they only fit the Raboesch adaptors?

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 10:33:22 pm »

Do you know if they fit the standard adaptors that are used with the red couplings (I've got a box full of those), or will they only fit the Raboesch adaptors?

Sorry, don't know off hand, although if I had to guess I would say the brass inserts are a universal fit.  If you have a box full, why not just order the joint and see if your stock fit.  If not, order the Raboesch ones.

Greg

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2020, 12:26:05 pm »

I could do that, but a second postage charge will be nearly as much as just buying the fittings with the joint parts.
I'll order one complete set, and check if the fittings are interchangeable for when I need another coupling.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2020, 12:20:21 pm »

Enjoying all your comments..

Meanwhile have added the chine rails, prop shaft, and final filler primer coat.

Also added Coaming strips to hold the cabin.

And Voila un Cabin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2020, 01:50:57 pm »

Don't forget to strap/pin/tape the superstructure down flat onto the deck while you plank and sand the roof panels. It will still flex a bit once lifted off for trimming the plank edges but if you replace the strapping (two big laggy bands) while you fit the cockpit sides, bulkheads and floor panels then it will stay straight and true.

Whatever you might have heard, planking is quite therapeutic! Take a couple of extra minutes on each one to bevel the edges where they meet the adjoining one. Filler is your enemy!! I used Slo-Zap as a 'liquid pin' where each plank touches the frames and Speedbond along the edges. Works for me every time.
Dave M

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2020, 12:37:03 pm »

Thanks Dave.

Planking now completed (aint dont this amount since I built my 12foot B17 and had to plank the cowls.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2020, 01:13:23 pm »

Very neat, Graham.

Dave M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2020, 01:45:23 pm »

Yes, better than mine!

Colin

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2020, 09:39:35 am »

Just to close off my earlier query about couplings:

I ordered a set of the Raboesch ball and socket couplings, and the fittings are pretty much identical to those for the red UJs - same number of splines, and the diameter is within 0.03mm.
The fittings need to be pressed in with a small vice, but I had to do the same to get the Raboesch fitting into the joint - tighter fit than the red joints.

Just as well they are interchangeable, as CMB sent me the wrong size - ordered one 4mm and one 5mm, they sent one 3mm and one 5mm.
This is the second time that I've received the wrong size joints from them.

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »

I love my huntsman just wish it was bigger.
To that end I've got hold of a veron 42" plan, and ordered the vic smeed version 47". Both plans will need some re engineering to bring them uptodate, question is which ?

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2020, 09:27:33 pm »

Hi Graham

I think that you will find that both are 42" and they are for the earlier Huntsman 28.

If you want a bigger Huntsman 31, Precedent kits for the 34" and 47" versions come up from time to time on Ebay or SLEC do the 47" kit.

Also Sarik Hobbies have the drawing for a 31" (1:12) - search for MM 1061.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2020, 09:52:56 pm »

I recently bought the 1/12 scale Huntsman 31 plans from SARIK and they look good.

I am looking forward to making a start on this model as a same scale companion for my Swordsman - but I have one or two others that need finishing first ......... %%

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2020, 01:11:50 pm »

Thanks, will wait till the vic smeed plans arrive and compare.
Could end up with the 47" from Slec  %%

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2020, 02:52:10 pm »

Been playing with a printer/vinyl cutter i brought a year ago. Very pleased with my first attempt/effort (meggles is my eldest grand daughters nick name I use for her)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.