Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mylar sails  (Read 3293 times)

Cadser

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Mylar sails
« on: September 10, 2020, 07:51:46 pm »

What can i use as tape for 50g mylar sails, strengthening patches, jib front pocket down the front etc?

I would like to make my own, or try!

Cadser

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mylar sails
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 08:43:58 pm »

When I make mine for either RG65's or Wee nips,  I use deck patch material ( courtesy of Sailsetc) cut to shape for the fingers or re-inforcement patches on sails.

For the luff pocket on the jib, I use luff tape from Sailsetc  (TP-20)  folded in half and attached with double sided tape each side of the luff.

They also sell transparent self adhesive luff tape which I use on the front edge of the mainsail as re-inforcement.

Most of the items you need can be found here   [size=78%]https://www.sailsetc2.com/index.php/products-by-category/sails/sail-making-materials.html[/size]

Cadser

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 07:14:11 am »

Thank you for the advice and link to the web site.

Brian

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 09:37:01 am »

You are welcome.  Getting the right stuff to do the job makes sail making easier and much more enjoyable . I used to hate it, now I find it quite relaxing and enjoyable.  I even  make panelled sails using a Claudio device, (see the video made by 2 clubmates of mine. Despite appearances, they do know what they are doing!)

[size=78%]http://apmyc.weebly.com/shaping-sails-with-the-claudio-gadget.html[/size].

Cadser

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 07:44:17 am »

I was not aware that you could shape the sails. I thought they were all flat panels, in cloth making its called tentering however this only stretches or shrinks the material using heat. Your system actually bends it. 
When I was first told about twist in a sail at the lake side I thought the chaps were taking the p/-.s out of me with being a newbie.

I am busy working at the moment. When I get time off I will have a bash at the sail and post some photos. 

Regards

Bri

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 09:31:50 am »

Hi Bri,    It is amazing using the Claudio device , when you join 2 flat panels and get a nice curve shape to the result.   I think what the guys at the lake are talking about with twist is inducing a shape into a flat sail by the tensions in the rigging, particularly the amount of lift of the mainsail boom.  Still a bit of a black art to me . 

Hope you have fun making your own sails. Start with flat panel ones to get used to the "how best to do it" bits, then progress. I bought myself a large cutting mat to cut the Mylar on and use that to fix the sails down with masking tape on when applying tape etc.   Look forward to knowing how you get on.

Leaky Bottom

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 05:01:32 pm »

You are welcome.  Getting the right stuff to do the job makes sail making easier and much more enjoyable . I used to hate it, now I find it quite relaxing and enjoyable.  I even  make panelled sails using a Claudio device, (see the video made by 2 clubmates of mine. Despite appearances, they do know what they are doing!)

[size=78%]http://apmyc.weebly.com/shaping-sails-with-the-claudio-gadget.html[/size].

Thanks for posting that link for making curved paneled sails, I am now enlightened as to how it's done :-))
"Leave me alone I know what I'm doing"

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 05:21:12 pm »

Very interesting, so do Mylar sails just rely on the double sided tape to keep their shape.

Len.

Cadser

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 06:17:09 pm »

Yes it would seem so.
The Mylar will take glue like the stuff on tape well with it being so good a finish.
Bri

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 09:08:59 am »

Very interesting, so do Mylar sails just rely on the double sided tape to keep their shape.

Len.
The multi panelled ones rely on the double sided tape to hold the seams together, which it does very well. It is how the panels are fixed relative to each other that imparts the shape.  This can be done either using a shaped sail board or the Claudio device, which I find very easy to use.
#

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 10:33:18 am »

to make mylar sails with a shape the mylar panels are cut first then laid over a curved board or block like an aero foil wing you then stick the 2 together with the mylar sticky tape. A sail needs a belly in it to produce lift which will give you speed just like an airplane wing.
Twist is totally different twist is put in the sail by the either a ram at the bottom of the mast or adjusting the kicker on the boom.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2020, 11:42:58 am »

Hi I have been following this thread as I make my own very ordinary sails and I went to the web site for using the Claudio device very interesting. 

I do have a question, I can vouch for the double sided tape being an incredibly strong adhesive, but is there a way of breaking the join neatly?  What has happenened is that I joined the top and bottom of a sail (mylar) with double sided tape and over the years the tensions in the material have produced a lift in the joint in the middle.

I do not want to discard them as they are on a 1 : 35 scale model yacht and the lower part is quite complex where it is attached to the boom.
Idealy I would like to know of a solvent to remove the glue of the DS tape and do the job again. 

Any help would be most appreciated.
Regards
Roy

Cadser

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2020, 03:20:17 pm »

HI Roy,

I use de natured isopropanol to clean glue off the sails.

Hope that helps

Brian

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2020, 05:12:20 pm »

Hi roycv,

You should not have any tension in the sails in either direction I race model yachts in conditions you can hardly stand up in and never had a sail blow out ie: separate at the seams when not sailing you should remove any tensions of lines.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 06:39:35 pm »

Hello, perhaps I did not explain myself very well.  I presumed that there were differences in the two pieces of mylar when they were attached to each other.
The sails sit in the luff groove of the mast and are stored in a specially made box, where there are no tensions.   

It took several years to appear.
I am hoping to part the joint and then carefully reconnect with new double sided tape.
Is the de natured isopropanol also known as Metholated spirits?  I checked on the Internet and to be honest am no wiser.
regards
Roy

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 07:48:21 pm »

Methylated spirits is denatured ethanol, mainly by adding a percentage of methanol (highly toxic), Some other additives are added especially to make it taste bad.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2020, 10:21:40 am »

No it's not (meth's) you can buy the correct product here https://hexchemonline.co.uk/products/ipa or on Ebay.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.