Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FrSky Taranis Q X7S ACCESS  (Read 269 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
FrSky Taranis Q X7S ACCESS
« on: September 11, 2020, 05:53:49 pm »

Hi All

I'm considering a new radio and looking at the FrSky Taranis Q X7S ACCESS TX paired with a Archer R8 PRO ACCESS RX.  Basically to allow more channels, more sophisticated mixing, and maybe be a little more future proof. Just wondered if anyone has this hardware and has any comments..?  At the price these units seem so far ahead of the 'conventional' radios.

I'm currently running a Futaba 6EX and have a twin motor / twin rudder Amati Aquarama in build with lights, sound and vapour so would be good to not be constrained with channels.

Best regards to all.
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: FrSky Taranis Q X7S ACCESS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:29:09 am »

Morning All

Just wanted to give an update on this, I did proceed with the FrSky system and wanted to add some feedback to anyone else considering something similar.

The short version of this is that the jump in capability over a 'conventional' RC is mind bending, I moved from a Futaba 6EX.  It does require a significant commitment to learn how to configure right from the word go. Out of the box it does pretty much nothing at all and is an expensive doorstop.  I've spent quite a lot of time watching YouTube videos and seeking out details on various forums to get it up and running as I want it. I opted to install OpenTX as the operating system so this involved flashing the TX, the RX and the 'RF Module' with new firmware, then its down to getting the channels configured.  The R8 Pro RX gives 8 conventional channels, and the SBus extension 8 more so its a 16 channel system, at the moment I'm using 8.

The main notion seems to be Input > Mix > Output.  So you can select an Input, a stick or a switch. Then you can mix, with other channels or curves or whatever. Then you select where the Output goes, to a servo, an aux switch, an ESC, or combinations of...  So you can use a stick or switch to control whatever you want.

OpenTX allows use of OpenTX companion, an application which I use on my PC to program the TX, this has a simulator so you can think through settings and test them before sending them to the TX.

Another feature of the FrSky hardware is the telemetry. I've added a pair of FrSky Neuron 40S ESCs to my setup, I see LiPo voltages, ESC temps, motor RPM, signal strength on the TX. Just looking now to add a 'state of charge' indicator for the LiPos:

Very pleased with the system so far and looking forward to getting it all installed in my Aquarama.

Best regards
David.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:24:32 pm »

Hi David
I to Have the Taranis but the X9E version.
Did not know they made ESC. Just looked up thoes FrSky Neuron 40S ESCs . Intresting they can work out the RPM. Do you have to tell it what size motor you have ?
[/size]
[/size]John

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 07:30:48 pm »

Hi John

I'm liking the Neuron ESCs, like other FrSky hardware you set them up via a PC app, in this case BL_Heli32.  The S series Neurons ship with a USB adapter, this allows customising the ESC.

RPM is base on 'commutations', basically the number of 'pole pairs' in the motor, my motors are 14 pole, so 7 pairs.  As the App is helicopter / drone biased the setting for some reason called 'blades', so I enter 7 and then I'm at shaft RPM:

I'm running two ESCs, so two instances.

Best regards
David.

Pages: [1]   Go Up