Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: R/C / FROM 12V BATT to ESC to 6V R/X  (Read 4811 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
R/C / FROM 12V BATT to ESC to 6V R/X
« on: September 12, 2020, 10:28:27 am »

HI ALL   NOW  THE SET UP  IM NOW ASKIN ABOUT IS  SOMETHING IVE NEVER USED BEFORE  as ive alway used 40meg  SO PLEASE   EXCSUSE ME  OVER THIS well i think i have a problem on  the R/C as im USEING A NEW 2.4 gig R/C an im now tryin to wire it all up

NOW my problem is the ESC must supply the power to the R/X an the R/X must not receive no more power than 6v  but as i want to power my motors as i have four motors in my ship i want to use a 12v battery to power the ESC. So will the ESC automaticaly cut down the the power to the R/X to 6V an no more ? as it say in the R/C instruckions that any more power over 6v will damage the R/X SORRY TO HAVE TO ASK THIS STUPID QUESTION BUT I DONT WANT TO CAUSE DAMAGE TO A EXSPENSIVE UNIT
HOPEING SOMEONE CAN HELP ME
chris

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R/C / FROM 12V BATT to ESC to 6V R/X
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:14 am »

If you Esc has a BEC output, and you use it, you will be safe.

Perhaps you had better tell us what Esc you will be using (preferably with a link).

PS The radio frequency makes no difference to this as 2.4ghz receivers basically require the same voltage as did 27, 35 and 40 Meg receivers.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 11:08:54 am »

If you Esc has a BEC output, and you use it, you will be safe.

Perhaps you had better tell us what Esc you will be using (preferably with a link).

PS The radio frequency makes no difference to this as 2.4ghz receivers basically require the same voltage as did 27, 35 and 40 Meg receivers.

HI Tug Fanatic  here in the linkpic is a shot of my NEW ESC front of box an in the next linkpic i''ll post a linkpic of its SPECIFCATIONS
chris
https://ibb.co/6bnPCv5

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 11:09:26 am »

There are 2 types of esc, one with a Battery Elimination Circuit, BEC and, one that doesnt have a BEC and is called an Opto esc. These may also be known by other names.
An esc with a BEC will normally step down your motor power battery to around 4.8v. More expensive ones give you the option of selecting around 4.8v upto around 8v.
If your esc is an Opto, you must power the Rx by a separate battery supply. Again, this is normally around 4.8v although more modern and expensive Rx's can run off upto 8v. This separate battery power must not be plugged into the BEC esc.
Your radio frequency has no impact on esc, only the voltage the Rx can handle is something that may need to be considered.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 11:11:55 am »

HI Tug Fanatic  here in the linkpic is a shot of my NEW ESC front of box an in the next linkpic i''ll post a linkpic of its SPECIFCATIONS
chris
This is an opto esc like I mentioned. You need a separate battery to run your Rx. This pack must not be connected to the esc.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 11:15:09 am »

chris

an the specifacations
https://ibb.co/mc4jQ86

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:26:05 am »

an the specifacations

There are two different ESC listed here.

The FS-AQP128 has a BEC 5v 1A  (there will be separate connectors for the motor and BEC output circuits)

The FS-AQP280 does not have a BEC so you cannot power receivers and servos from the ESC. (the only output connectors will be for the motor)

Which ESC do you have?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 11:32:44 am »

an the specifacations
A 280 amp esc is certainly powerful. Are you racing fast electric boats?

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 11:38:06 am »

A 280 amp esc is certainly powerful. Are you racing fast electric boats?

NO im not raceing fast eletric but a ship with 4 motors in a warship an its a fair size
HI [size=78%]justboatonic[/size][size=78%]  IF you look at the specifatcations i think it says it has a BEC fitted in an not an opto ? an if thats the case i must not use a seperate batt as thats what its says in the R/C INSTRUCTIONS  DUE I WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE R/X [/size] AN IHAVE POSTED WHICH ESC I HAVE GUYS
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 11:45:51 am »

HI I HAVE AQP280 vershion I  hope this helps
chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 11:46:39 am »

NO im not raceing fast eletric but a ship with 4 motors in a warship an its a fair size
HI [size=78%]justboatonic[/size][size=78%]  IF you look at the specifatcations i think it says it has a BEC fitted in an not an opto ? an if thats the case i must not use a seperate batt as thats what its says in the R/C INSTRUCTIONS  DUE I WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE R/X [/size] AN IHAVE POSTED WHICH ESC I HAVE GUYS
chris

Hi. If you have the Fusion Aquapower 280 as per the photo, the product description on the net states this is an Opto esc and you need a separate battery supply.
https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/fusion-aquapower-water-cooled-280a-brushed-marine-esc-electric-speed-controller-boat/

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 12:02:42 pm »

Hi. If you have the Fusion Aquapower 280 as per the photo, the product description on the net states this is an Opto esc and you need a separate battery supply.
https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/fusion-aquapower-water-cooled-280a-brushed-marine-esc-electric-speed-controller-boat/

or a 12v to 5v converter something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Regulator-12V-Stepdown-to-5V-3A-15W-Car-Power-Supply-Module-UK/142407861263?hash=item21282b840f:g:JXQAAOSw5cNYcSC7

Note that I am not recommending this example as I have never used one but it shows the sort of thing that you need. You connect it direct to the battery supply (via a 3A fuse) and the 5v output to the receiver.

PS the spec on the box tells you that there is no BEC for your Esc.

Justboatonic
I rather suspect that frogman3, along with most others forum members, doesn't know the difference between an Opto Esc and any other.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 12:29:29 pm »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Regulator-12V-Stepdown-to-5V-3A-15W-Car-Power-Supply-Module-UK/142407861263?hash=item21282b840f:g:JXQAAOSw5cNYcSC7

Note that I am not recommending this example as I have never used one but it shows the sort of thing that you need. You connect it direct to the battery supply (via a 3A fuse) and the 5v output to the receiver.

Justboatonic
I rather suspect that frogman3, along with most others forum members, doesn't know the difference between an Opto Esc and any other.

HI Tug fantic  you are right i dont know the difference between them as ive always used eletronize ESC MICRORPESSER on  40 meg   but now that chap has retired ive got to look for a DIFFERENT ESC that will be powerfull enough to power 4 motors in my new ship an it must have a BEC an i will not use this FUSION ESC that i have got so any idea's of a new powerfull ESC with a BEC fitted an  guys an thank you both for your help on this matter 
Chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 12:34:38 pm »

Justboatonic

Yes, it is a good point and the beauty of this forum where we can share knowledge. That's why I thought best to give a brief explanation of the difference in my earlier post. Sometimes you also have to look at all the specs to find out if an esc is an Opto. The ad I linked only states the 280 is an opto esc at the very bottom so could easily be missed.

@Frogman, why not use this esc, it appears to have the power you need? All you have to do is plug a separate battery into your Rx which will probably only cost a tenner while a new comparable BEC esc would cost a lot more.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 12:39:53 pm »

HI Tug fantic  you are right i dont know the difference between them as ive always used eletronize ESC MICRORPESSER on  40 meg   but now that chap has retired ive got to look for a DIFFERENT ESC that will be powerfull enough to power 4 motors in my new ship an it must have a BEC an i will not use this FUSION ESC that i have got so any idea's of a new powerfull ESC with a BEC fitted an  guys an thank you both for your help on this matter 
Chris

Chris
Again we need more information.

Please tell us a little about the model that you are powering and the motors / propellers that you intend to use. Type eg battleship or high speed Motor Torpedo Boat etc, then size of model, then motors then propellers (make, model, no of blades, size) . You have previously stated 12v.

The fact that you are using 4 motors is largely irrelevant as what we need to do is estimate how much power in total they will use.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 01:00:09 pm »

Chris
Again we need more information.

Please tell us a little about the model that you are powering and the motors / propellers that you intend to use. Type eg battleship or high speed Motor Torpedo Boat etc, then size of model, then motors then propellers (make, model, no of blades, size) . You have previously stated 12v.

The fact that you are using 4 motors is largely irrelevant as what we need to do is estimate how much power in total they will use.

OK Tug Fanatic give me a little while to look at the motors an props an the ship im building is on here in the battleship thread BOATMANS HMS TIGER BUILD IN 1/72 SCALE
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 01:06:44 pm »

OK Tug Fanatic give me a little while to look at the motors an props an the ship im building is on here in the battleship thread BOATMANS HMS TIGER BUILD IN 1/72 SCALE
chris

AN sorry if this is confuseing as i put it on under BOATMAN but as ive been on here before several yrs ago i treid that name again but the site wont let me go on here as BOATMAN so i had to think up another name to put in an thats FROGMAN 3
chris

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 01:26:10 pm »

If that is the 1913 HMS Tiger battlecruiser your model must be around 3m long and, if your underwater shape is scale, will probably weigh 50kg+ loaded WOW!!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 01:35:30 pm »

If that is the 1913 HMS Tiger battlecruiser your model must be around 3m long and, if your underwater shape is scale, will probably weigh 50kg+ loaded WOW!!

HI NO its not the 1913 tiger but the tiger that was converted into a helicopter carrier in the 1960's she is also a  half battle cruiser an half helecopter carrier in 1/72 scale so yes she is big nr 8ft long
an here is the requested info on the motor's all 4 the same an the 5 bladed brass props in the link below
https://ibb.co/wsVN5Wj
chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 01:47:50 pm »

HI NO its not the 1913 tiger but the tiger that was converted into a helicopter carrier in the 1960's she is also a  half battle cruiser an half helecopter carrier in 1/72 scale so yes she is big nr 8ft long
an here is the requested info on the motor's all 4 the same an the 5 bladed brass props in the link below
https://ibb.co/wsVN5Wj
chris
I honestly think your best solution is to still use this esc and buy a separate Rx battery pack. You will have plenty of space in that model for the additional battery which will be a couple of inches long and an inch tall tops.
Even if you bought the AQ128 with a BEC, you'll be spending another 30 possibly plus P&P.
The only thing that concerns me is these esc's appear cheap compared to their amps ratings!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 01:53:39 pm »

I honestly think your best solution is to still use this esc and buy a separate Rx battery pack. You will have plenty of space in that model for the additional battery which will be a couple of inches long and an inch tall tops.
Even if you bought the AQ128 with a BEC, you'll be spending another 30 possibly plus P&P.
The only thing that concerns me is these esc's appear cheap compared to their amps ratings!
[/
quote]

HI [size=78%]justboatonic WELL in my R/C INSTRUCTIONS IT SAYS I MUST NOT USE A SEPERATE  BATT AS IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE R/X  SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS MY PC IS PLAYIN UP [/size]
[/size][size=78%]chris[/size]

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 02:05:10 pm »

I don't know how to decode Johnson motor numbers but working on the basis of the propeller your existing esc is likely to be able to handle vastly more power than you will be using. That is a good place to be.

Justboatonic is making what I think to be a very good point. Why not try your existing esc before you give up on it. It should be perfectly OK.

As long as you don't both have a BEC AND a separate battery (which you won't as you don't have a BEC) connected to the receiver I cannot see how there can possibly be a problem.

I wait to see if anyone else can see a problem.

What is the radio?

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 02:35:38 pm »

I don't know how to decode Johnson motor numbers but working on the basis of the propeller your existing esc is likely to be able to handle vastly more power than you will be using. That is a good place to be.

Justboatonic is making what I think to be a very good point. Why not try your existing esc before you give up on it. It should be perfectly OK.

As long as you don't both have a BEC AND a separate battery (which you won't as you don't have a BEC) connected to the receiver I cannot see how there can possibly be a problem.

I wait to see if anyone else can see a problem.

What is the radio?
[/quote

HI HERE is the R/C an its one made for boats an not aircraft  an there are three pics to upload so before you answer let me do it as if not there will be a collishion goin onto the forum ok
1st pic the box

https://ibb.co/YRnbmyx

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2020, 02:36:23 pm »

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 02:40:24 pm »

AN THE INSTRUCKIONS ON THE R/X IF YOU READ  AT  THE TOP  LEFT an the bottom RIGHT YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT I MEAN  again sorry about caps
https://ibb.co/9cT8K8w
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.