Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running out of model memories - new Futaba transmitter?  (Read 1978 times)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Running out of model memories - new Futaba transmitter?
« on: September 05, 2020, 04:14:28 pm »

I'm currently using a Futaba T7C 2.4GHz transmitter, which uses Futaba's FASST protocol.
It's a 7-channel radio, and does programmable mixes, dual rates, etc.

This transmitter was fine for flying 10 years ago, and does the job since I started playing with RC boats.
I've gone a bit mad with collecting and building boats though, and will run out of model memories with my next build - Tx only has 10 memories.

I've never had a problem with Futaba gear, and I've invested quite heavily with Futaba FASST receivers, so I want to stick with the brand and the protocol.
It looks like Futaba have introduced at least one new transmission protocol since FASST was the thing to have.

So, I'm looking for a "new" Futaba transmitter that works with FASST receivers (multi-protocol might be useful for the future), has a lot more model memories (plug-in module or SD card if necessary), and some more mixing options (conditional or nested mixing might be handy for the future). A bigger display would be useful, to save putting on my reading glasses to tweak it.
Happy to buy secondhand.

Any suggestions?

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
Re: Running out of model memories - new Futaba transmitter?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 05:58:01 pm »

I use Futaba's 14SG on most of my models, i wouldnt get another transmitter just because you have run out of model memory.

Im sure you have plenty of models that run the same 2-3-4 channel as the models that you want to sail in the future, if it was me i would just bind the Tx to whatever Rx you have in the newer boats on a setup which your familiar with saved to the Tx.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:17:34 pm »

Yes, that is one way around the problem. There's the potential to make a mistake though, and it probably means fiddling with the rudder trim, or reversing a channel.
Might be an issue with reaching the bind button too, as some of the models have the receivers tucked away.

Although not absolutely essential, I do quite fancy splashing out on a new transmitter.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 06:29:45 pm »

I'm currently using a Futaba T7C 2.4GHz transmitter, which uses Futaba's FASST protocol.
It's a 7-channel radio, and does programmable mixes, dual rates, etc.

This transmitter was fine for flying 10 years ago, and does the job since I started playing with RC boats.
I've gone a bit mad with collecting and building boats though, and will run out of model memories with my next build - Tx only has 10 memories.

I've never had a problem with Futaba gear, and I've invested quite heavily with Futaba FASST receivers, so I want to stick with the brand and the protocol.
It looks like Futaba have introduced at least one new transmission protocol since FASST was the thing to have.

So, I'm looking for a "new" Futaba transmitter that works with FASST receivers (multi-protocol might be useful for the future), has a lot more model memories (plug-in module or SD card if necessary), and some more mixing options (conditional or nested mixing might be handy for the future). A bigger display would be useful, to save putting on my reading glasses to tweak it.
Happy to buy secondhand.

Any suggestions?
See if you can pick up a JR XG8 2.4ghz radio. Loads of people dumped them when JR went bump. Spare Rxs were a little short in supply for 18 months to 2 years but DFA bought all the rights to JR Propo and are selling the gear again.
Imho, JR's DMSS is the best 2.4ghx protocol (others will disagree) and I use this gear for flying electric helis. The model memory in the TX is 30 models and you can store more on an internal memory card.
Loads of flyers are dumping very good radios to jump into the latest fad jeti radios (also very good but very expensive) so you may be able to find a bargain.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 07:26:07 pm »

T14SG looks ideal - unlimited memories with an SD card, it'll work with my existing FASST receivers (I've got 9 of them), telemetry when used with the right receiver, option to use other Futaba protocols, more mixing options, bigger screen, etc.

I've just "won" a secondhand one on eBay, less than half the new price.

Not sure if it comes with the parts to allow a centre-sprung throttle, so I might have to spend a few quid on the required spring and lever kit.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:03:17 pm »

Only thing i would do with the 14sg is dont bother with the nimh battery and use a 2cell lipo lasts a lot longer.

Cant go wrong with the 14sg though, once i get brave enough to approach it with the wife i will upgrade to the 16sz for the touch screen mainly.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Buster22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 10:07:03 pm »

get the graupner mx 16 it has sd card and lcd screen and i think 24 model memory

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 11:47:31 am »

Only thing i would do with the 14sg is dont bother with the nimh battery and use a 2cell lipo lasts a lot longer.

Cant go wrong with the 14sg though, once i get brave enough to approach it with the wife i will upgrade to the 16sz for the touch screen mainly.

Jay

Do you have a link for a suitable LiPo pack please? I can find plenty of places selling LiPos that are supposed to fit, but there are quite a few different shapes and sizes.

Is it possible to charge a LiPo in the Tx, or does it have to be removed and charged with a LiPo charger?

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 12:29:05 pm »

Do you have a link for a suitable LiPo pack please? I can find plenty of places selling LiPos that are supposed to fit, but there are quite a few different shapes and sizes.

Is it possible to charge a LiPo in the Tx, or does it have to be removed and charged with a LiPo charger?
Normally, Tx's replacement battery packs are LiFe although Lipos can be used. If the set came with a nimh pack, the original charger will not be capable of charging a Lipo pack. In any event, Id recommend charging any Lipo outside of the Tx. If it is an LiFe pack and has a compatible charger, you can leave the battery in the Tx while charging.

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 01:38:26 pm »

Good advice from above, i have always charged the nimh and lipo battery out of the Tx because it can cause heat transfer to the lcd display (plenty of info on reviews of the T14SG about this issue)

this is the battery i use with an expensive multi charger that does all my batteries.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2100mah-2s1p-20c-lifepo4-transmitter-pack-futaba-t14sg-4pk.html?countrycode=GB&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg5uaq8nZ6wIVwp13Ch2gIQ0LEAQYASABEgKEk_D_BwE&___store=en_us

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 05:16:06 pm »

Thanks for the link, and the info about charging.

My charger (iMax B6AC) has "LiFe" printed on the front as one of the types that it can charge, but I can't find a specific LiFe charge mode in the menu options. Time to read the instructions.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 12:51:12 pm »

My Futaba T14 arrived in the post today. I've removed the black plastic cover from the left stick assembly, so I now have a sprung self-centring throttle.

Problem is, I now get a warning each time I switch the transmitter on, telling me that the throttle stick is not at zero.
I guess this makes sense if I was flying a plane using the ratchet throttle.

Any ideas how I can stop this warning message coming up each time I switch on with the throttle stick sprung to the middle position?

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 12:54:17 pm »

I have tried many ways but still not figured it out either, scroll my thumb anti clockwise and click yes everytime i switch the handset on, turned off the annoying beeping too

Jay

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 01:07:31 pm »

Found it!

in the "sys" menu there's a "warning" menu.

In the list of warnings, there's the option to enable/disable the throttle position warning.

Confusingly, there are 2 things that you can change for this. The left hand option is for warning on/off, the right hand option is for the type of warning, and one of the options is "off".

I thought that the right hand option showing "off would disable the warning, but it doesn't. You have to change the left hand option to show "off" to actually switch the warning off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.