Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: R/C / FROM 12V BATT to ESC to 6V R/X  (Read 4691 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: R/C / FROM 12V BATT to ESC to 6V R/X
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 02:43:53 pm »

OK Tug Fanatic  there are your asnwers in three pics ok see what ive said about instructions
chris

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 03:04:36 pm »

I am reading that to mean that they expect you to use a BEC equipped ESC and that if you do then you shouldn't also connect a separate receiver battery.
No guarantees, just my opinion, so see what others think.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 03:18:33 pm »

I am reading that to mean that they expect you to use a BEC equipped ESC and that if you do then you shouldn't also connect a separate receiver battery.
No guarantees, just my opinion, so see what others think.

OK Tug -Fanatic  so you dont really know ok on that i'll wait till i can find someone who does know cheers for your time
chris

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 03:36:55 pm »

AN THE INSTRUCKIONS ON THE R/X IF YOU READ  AT  THE TOP  LEFT an the bottom RIGHT YOU SHOULD SEE WHAT I MEAN  again sorry about caps
https://ibb.co/9cT8K8w

The radio's instructions are somewhat confusing! The German to English translation says
The receiver does not have a separate power supply and is supplied with power via the drive battery, which drives the motor. The BEC system of the electronic speed controller reduces the voltage of the drive battery for the receiver to a tolerable value. NiMH battery packs from 4.8 V to 6 V can be used. Batteries with higher voltage can damage the receiver and the servos.

However, the English version and diagram shows an esc connected to the Rx. Oddly, the English instructions say the BEC is in the Rx circuitry! Either this is a mistranslation in the instructions or it is a very unusual arrangement and one I havent come across before.

But, the same principle applies imho. If you have an OPTO esc such as the AQ280, you need to use a 4.8v to 6v Rx battery supply and can do that with this radio. What you should not do is use a BEC esc AND fit a separate Rx battery. It is one or the other.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »

justboatonic[size=0.85em]Full Mayhemer
[/size]
[/size][/font]
  • [size=0.85em]*****[/size][/font]
  • [size=0.85em] Online[/size][/font]
  • [size=0.85em]Posts: 1,512[/size][/font]
  • [size=0.85em][/size][/font]
  • [size=0.85em]Location: Thornton Cleveleys[/size][/font]

• [size=0px]HI YES this is very confuseing an im not sure what to do so i think 'll leave it for now untill i find out for certain many thanks for your help an time [/size]

[/size][size=0px]all best [/size]
    [/size][size=0px]chris [/size]

[/font]

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 05:30:29 pm »

IF the current handling numbers in the links are to be believed (and I don't, if it has the same size wire as the Electronize, it won't handle much more) the FS AQP128 should handle your motors OK.  The built in BEC will not be happy with a 7 servo load.  Either a discrete BEC rated for 3 or 5 Amps or a separate RX battery will be needed.  It doesn't matter at all which receiver slot the receiver gets its power from.  If all of the slots are in use, use a servo Y lead - one leg for the battery or separate BECto plug in, the other for whatever is being controlled by that channel, and disconnect the red (center) wire in the ESC lead.
But if the existing ESC is still a good one, why change?  It will plug in fine* and respond to the control stick the same as with your previous radio.

*plastic of the plug might need trimming a bit, then just make sure its plugged in the right way round.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 05:46:36 pm »

I can not believe I have read this thread...
The advice that has been given is in my opinion is fully agreeable...

Reading the German instructions, yes it presumes you have a Built in power supply through the speed controller...
There is no BEC in the receiver..!
The translation into the English version does upset me some what...

There is a separate receiver battery input socket on the receiver.. this implying that a separate battery can be conected if no BEC..  as per any modern radio gear..

The choice is completely yours... take it or leave it...
Either use a speed controler with BEC  or use a without BEC and use a separate receiver battery

Des

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 11:07:01 pm »

Hi Chris

I have just read through this entire post, but as far as I can see, no-one has proposed a solution to your problem in plain language.  But in short, yes - what you want to do is certainly do-able.  I use this method in all of my boats.

You wire the 12V as you would normally, through your fuse(s), isolator switch, and ESC to your motors.

Now, for your radio and servos, regardless of whether or not there is a BEC circuit on your ESC, I use a device known as a UBEC.  This takes the 12V from your battery and converts it to 5V (or 6V selectable), and either 3A or 5A depending on which unit you buy.  Even if your ESC does have a BEC circuit, use of the UBEC totally eliminates any possible issues due to incorrect connection, or possible internal failure within the ESC.  There is no direct connection anywhere between your 12V and 5V systems.  (A BEC circuit within an ESC usually has one common connection between the 12V and 5V circuits, making it very easy for an internal failure to occur, which would see 12V applied to you radio and receivers, with spectacular results.)

The 5V from your UBEC is connected directly into either the BATT socket of your receiver (if it has one), or into any spare socket (if it does not have a BATT input socket).  Then plug in the RX cables to the ESCs and other servos, and away you go.  This method also eliminates the issue of whether or not you need to disconnect one wire from the servo cable to the radio - so you never even need to think about that.  It also eliminates any issues arising from language translation.  It also eliminates any need for a separate battery for your receiver.

If my ESC or power board does have a BEC circuit, I do not use it for my radios - but I might use it for other functions such as to drive LED lighting.

Des.

RST

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2020, 01:16:14 am »

I think someone needs to speak to Chris -this is potentially a very easy situation in reality for most of us.  It's just rediculus looking back through some of the the messages in this thread!

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2020, 08:08:03 am »

I think someone needs to speak to Chris -this is potentially a very easy situation in reality for most of us.  It's just rediculus looking back through some of the the messages in this thread!

I second that....  If I had lived closer I would have been round..

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 11:24:41 am »

Incredible. someone posts on a forum they need assistance and 2 others gave time and effort to do that. Then I see comments like 'it's just ridiculous looking back at some of the messages' and 'no one has used plain language'!
Perhaps the OP wanted a quick response, had no one local or wouldnt have wanted anyone 'popping around.'

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2020, 11:47:19 am »

Incredible. someone posts on a forum they need assistance and 2 others gave time and effort to do that. Then I see comments like 'it's just ridiculous looking back at some of the messages' and 'no one has used plain language'!
Perhaps the OP wanted a quick response, had no one local or wouldnt have wanted anyone 'popping around.'

Its the usual story. 2 of us tried to help and then those that did absolutely nothing feel free to criticise us without offering anything of extra value. That's life.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2020, 03:22:03 pm »

Its the usual story. 2 of us tried to help and then those that did absolutely nothing feel free to criticise us without offering anything of extra value. That's life.

HI GUYS please dont fall out over this as you all have been immenselly helpfull  proberly be 50/50 on this lol :embarrassed: the wirein dio will be in the nxt linkpic as i just want to show that im gonna use this power distrubuion board to feed the R/X AS IT HAS A UBEC FITTED an please exscuse my spellin as ive had my ma in law clackin in my ear all morn OOOOHHHHH
https://ibb.co/86KFXfQ

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2020, 03:24:19 pm »

AN THE rough diogram that i drew out this morn over my mother in laws is this right ?
https://ibb.co/jzXyzBc

Des

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2020, 10:48:14 pm »

Yes - that circuit will work.

What is that power board that you are using?

Des

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2020, 05:55:36 am »

Chris...

Personally, I would conect everything to the power distribution board, (including the esc) hence the name..  O0

Between the main battery supply and the power distribution board I would insert a switch..

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 06:51:25 am »

Yes - that circuit will work.

What is that power board that you are using?

Des

HI Des its a power distribution board, an its made exspressly for model
warships

https://ibb.co/BZ5K3QQ
Chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 07:04:57 am »

Chris...

Personally, I would conect everything to the power distribution board, (including the esc) hence the name..  O0

Between the main battery supply and the power distribution board I would insert a switch..

HI Colin-d yes i wil do that then when i start every thing through the [size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%]power distribution board[/size][/size][size=78%]  ok an thank you for info an yes i always fit a switch between the batt an the ESC so it can be turned off anyway i think im getting there an there is no hurry  i will try all this after i have fitted in the portholes in the hulls as the hulls are already laid out to do this [/size]
[/size][size=78%]many thanks to you [/size]
[/size][size=78%]chris [/size]

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2020, 07:24:20 am »

Chris...

..................Between the main battery supply and the power distribution board I would insert a switch..

...................and a fuse between the esc and each motor that is more than the running current but less than the rating of the esc  and less than the stall current of the motor. If one blows you still have drive and are not damaging anything. Very useful if weed etc gets wrapped around a prop.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2020, 07:42:44 am »

...................and a fuse between the esc and each motor that is more than the running current but less than the rating of the esc  and less than the stall current of the motor. If one blows you still have drive and are not damaging anything. Very useful if weed etc gets wrapped around a prop.

HI Tug Fanatic so its 4 fuses fitted in line from the ESC  on each motor  say 15 amp fuses ? thank you for your help cheers an ive just got to hope im still online to look at all these answers to my questions as its now comin up to renew my contract with my I.S.P.
all best to you
chris

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2020, 08:41:01 am »

HI Tug Fanatic so its 4 fuses fitted in line from the ESC  on each motor  say 15 amp fuses ? thank you for your help cheers an ive just got to hope im still online to look at all these answers to my questions as its now comin up to renew my contract with my I.S.P.
all best to you
chris

Yes a separate fuse for each motor.

I cannot give you a figure for the fuse but I always put a wattmeter on a motor & see exactly what it is doing. Failing that then yes start with a 15A fuse on one motor & see if you blow it. If you don't then it is big enough but I would suggest stalling the motor to make sure that it blows as with 4 motors connected in parallel you could have one stalled & not know!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2020, 09:06:01 am »

Yes a separate fuse for each motor.

I cannot give you a figure for the fuse but I always put a wattmeter on a motor & see exactly what it is doing. Failing that then yes start with a 15A fuse on one motor & see if you blow it. If you don't then it is big enough but I would suggest stalling the motor to make sure that it blows as with 4 motors connected in parallel you could have one stalled & not know!

HI again  Tug Fanatic many thanks for your time an info  an yes this is what i hope to do but its a little way in the future yet as im still strugglein to finish off these hulls then all the wirein can go into the hulls. But i feel as though im getting some where now compared to a week ago ive thanks to you guys have found out a lot more but i will be very nervous wirein up this ESC to the R/C   
as its given me a headacke an stress but a little bit of modeling like fittin in the portholes in the hulls will help me calm down  an then i think i will be ready to tackle it
anyway again many thanks for your help
chris
chris
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.