Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: conforming 1 mm plywood to front deck  (Read 1700 times)

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
conforming 1 mm plywood to front deck
« on: September 12, 2020, 07:34:37 pm »

Hello Everyone

I am looking at building a scale model vintage outboard racer . Wanted to do a 1 mm plywood mahogany deck
front, however it looks like the skeleton frame for the front is warped in two different directions in this design .
Seeing plywood is hard to bend I was told would need to be cut in order to fit properly to the contours of the front deck
I have never done anything like this how hard would it be to do, and what direction would you orient the wood. Would want to keep it lite as possible if done right would the end results be a nicely looking solid wood front deck .
Any help would be appreciated

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
Re: conforming 1 mm plywood to front deck
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 07:59:52 pm »

depends on the size of your boat if you can warp 1mm ply to conform. If 1mm is too stiff consider double skinning in 0.4 mm ply
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 12:15:07 am »

Hello Balbrick

Thanks for responding to my post appreciated have you ever double skinned a tight radius deck with 0.4 mm ply
which is warped in two different directions the boat is small measurements  length 500 mm beam 232 mm
Thanks

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 05:59:13 am »

If you don't want suggestions- Don't ask
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

RST

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 06:12:59 am »

If its supposed to fast thinner/lighter ultimately better surely, especially if it is small. Have you tried anything yourself yet?

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 09:05:43 am »

Yes, I've done something very similar. I cut very thin ply, ( 1/32" in those days) into planks, about 8 mm wide, then double diagonally planked it. Sand back between layers, ensure your glue is applied properly. The result is light and strong. You'll need to assess the best plank width for your model.
   Much the same method is often used to plank difficult hull shapes like the bow areas of some RAF launches with double inward curves. There are some tutorials in the master class area on double diagonal planking. This used to be a very common way to make model and full sized structures.
Chas

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 10:10:04 am »

I have just completed the pre-production (parts check) model for the new Perkasa kit. This has a section of bottom skin about 280mm long x 190mm wide which varies in section from flat at the rear to an internal radius of about 80mm at the front. I've double-diagonal planked it with 1mm x 10mm obechi strips. 2 x 0.4mm ply would be easier to bend - maybe in strips 8mm wide? You can obtain mahogany veneer in that thickness quite easily from Internet supliers, and it's probably quite easy to fit the first layer of strips across the deck and the top layer along its length i.e. they don't have to be at 45° to the keel.I used Slo-Zap to fix the planks to the stringers, with some SLEC Speedbond white glue along the edges where the planks abutt each other. Do check first because some hardwood veneers don't like cyano glues. The result was very pleasing and not at all difficult. As regards trying to bend a single sheet of 1mm ply around a compound curve, my suggestion is to go and learn how to knit with fog first... the skills you learn will stand you in good stead. Been there; done it; ripped the lot off before the glue had time to set!
The other solution would be to use good old-fashioned 'front-to-back' single layer planking in 1mm-thick strips, tapering the planks as you cut and fit them as would have been done on the full-size boat. Just ensure that you wipe off any surplus glue before it dries.
Dave M

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 04:44:59 pm »

If you don't want suggestions- Don't ask
Hi I do a appreciated the insight was just merely asking a question to the way in which you mentioned going about laying up a wood deck  Thanks

dillinger 04

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 05:18:05 pm »

Hi Dave M, and Chas, thanks you for posting here greatly appreciated I do recall seeing a planked deck
on an old mahogany speed boat, looked beautiful like the pic I saw of a double diagonally planked hull side same kind of pattern in design . The model I was looking at doing was originally designed for laying cloth material over the front or Oratex plastic film ? I wanted to take it a step further and do a nice mahogany front deck . I saw a bit of this technique performed in this fashion planking the hull sides in the master section. However I looking and do not see anything on planking a deck? is there any good step by step instructions on how best to go about doing this planking a deck double diagonally or front to back single layer, and what the end results of what people have achieved. I will try to post another picture of the boat a side shot you can see it kind of flattens out in the front a bit towards the bow.  Any more help would be greatly appreciated .

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 05:58:04 pm »

I only just managed on the cabin roof of my model, the side to side curve was about 3/8" over 8" and the curve on the length was less than 1/4" and it barely made those curves, your structure is much curvier so i am not expecting you would succeed in one sheet, and that was 1/64 ply
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.