Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New car  (Read 2899 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New car
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:57:18 pm »

Well since a nice kind lady decided to drive into my wife, whilst stationary in a line of traffic at a roundabout and write our car off

(May not look like too much damage but was 5 grands worth of damage)
So now we have a new car.

It's a titanium 19 plate close to 13 grand only 7100 on the clock.
Pick it up next Sunday.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: New car
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 10:06:39 pm »

"5 grands worth of damage" - ?!?!?!?!?!?  -   How do we start ""ModelBoatMayhem car body repairs & DIY Covid19 Solutions Ltd."  ????
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 11:03:12 pm »

You can't go far wrong with a Ford. I've had a few over the years and loved them all!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 11:16:51 pm »

You can't go far wrong with a Ford. I've had a few over the years and loved them all!

Other opinions are available of course...............
Regards
Kit

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 07:38:31 am »

Yes I've had Vauxhalls I've loved and a Mazda (my first love was always motorcycles and secretly still is , don't tell the wife) but we both loved the fiesta (which was only 4 years old) and when we drove the new one we loved that too.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 09:30:34 am »

Enjoy the new Ford. It looks lovely. :-))

Even small dings can be expensive. The Porsche dealers near us has several rows of Cayennes, under tarps, awaiting body parts. Because of the Cayenne's use of aluminium and magnesium parts, small dents cannot be pulled out (unlike steel). Result, long waits for expensive replacement parts imported from Germany.

It has put me right off buying a Porsche Cayenne. That, and the price, the cost of the insurance, and the fact I wouldn't want to be seen driving one.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:52:59 am »

Our Toyota Camry built in Oz is 16 years young.   OK it has a few dents and the clock stopped working years ago but it started first flick today after sitting under the car port for over 5 weeks.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 09:55:43 am »

Do you know the Camry is back again

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:32:34 am »

I've had three Fords since 1980. The first was a Cortina Mk V Estate whose exhaust manifold broke in half and the whole wiring loom between the engine and passenger compartment parted company.

The second was a Galaxy MPV whose LHF wheel, brake, suspension, drive shaft etc. had to be replaced TWELVE times!

The third was a V6 Mondeo Estate whose gear lever came right off in my hand while accelerating away from the Severn Bridge Tolls.

There wasn't a fourth one..................
Regards
Kit

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 11:07:49 am »

I have had one other, I came into driving late in life - 31, before that I had 2000+ chauffeurs (better known as a bus pass)  {-)

The first - a mark 2 Vauxhall Astra which I eventually gave to the wife, it was 3 years old when I got it and I had it for 12 years, then I needed a car for motorway travel, then the wife a further 2 years before trading in for another Mark 3 or 4. (she has had more cars than I have, mark 2 - 3/4 - two yaris's, the second to replace the first after she was rear ended).

The current car and bought for the motorway travel expected, is a mazda 626 1999, i think thats the version that was just after the shape change and emblem change could be a mark 3 as I am sure the emblem changed shortly after the body shape. It's now 21 years old and still sounds sweet, it does the job, gets me to work, carries large enough parts to not need a trailer or a hire van, largest item this year, a 900 mm x 1900 mm x 18 mm piece of plywood, or the extending ladder thats 14 foot collapsed, things stick out the back but the boot can be tied down.  :-))

Have to decide on what to replace it with that the wife would drive as well - she is well fussy.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »

The mazda I had was a 616 and that was awesome I loved it but it died the cambelt snapped and wrapped round the bottom sprocket (practically welded itself to it.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 07:00:43 pm »

Isnt the 626 a Mondeo in a pretty skirt.
Based on the Mondeo floorpan etc.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 12:24:23 am »

Do you know the Camry is back again
In Oz it never went away!
When Toyota closed down their Australian manufacturing they imported the Japanese assembled versions.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 06:03:21 pm »

Better that it's written off really. Cars are rarely as good once repaired and are worth less when you come to sell or part exchange.

I've never owned a Ford or Vauxhall in getting on for 50 years of driving!
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

RST

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 10:16:25 pm »

....Camry even?

I'm an old skool Toyota fan!

2 mk 2 MR2's, first one modified and one of the most powerful naturally aspirated ones in UK at time
3 mk 3 MR2's
1 ST205 Celica GT4 turbo
1 ST205 WRC homologation run Celica GT4 turbo
1 Aristo, similar to Lexus GS300 but the real deal with JDM 3L twin turbo

...cars are a money pit one way or 'tother. You like what you have I guess.  I can't think of I've ever bought one less than 10 years old already for a few reasons.

I can also appreciate how much a small bump does to modern cars though. 15 years ago I very lightly bumped the back of a Mazda 6 at a roundabout while I was watching a lunatic tearing round rather than the car in front. Not even a tiny scratch or paint chip on my defender, something like 3k damage on the Mazda, it just crumpled.  I felt so bad. It was apparently just out of the body shop on a shunt from last time!

I also experienced a nasty experience in my first MK3 MR2 where it got written off then found out it was already crashed damaged.  I'm well used to "lively cars" but it was a close-call. My insurers said it was a good repair and you would never normally see the repairs.  My bad, the only car I ever bought without a full history check, and I only owned it 4h or 3/4 of the way home from buying!

...the body shop world is slightly corrupt though. One shop simply  wrote my mercedes off for the sake of some rust spots. Everyone else were less than 1/4 the price to repair!

...haven't had one in my life for ages now and I miss them.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 10:36:20 am »

I always go to the same 'Back street garage' for both cars (the wife takes hers as well), general servicing, MOT, major and minor repairs and at one time a body spray. He charges reasonable rates and we have had good service from him for years, he mentioned a peugeot that needed to have virtually the whole front removed just to change the blown bulbs and a sensor in a brake system on the front of another car that when the owner was told what the cost was to repair he had the car scrapped and got a new car to replace it - go figure (don't know how true the stories were)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 07:02:08 pm »

I think it was probably true. A friend of mine bought a Peugeot cheap as he thought he knew what the problem was after spending a fortune he ended up sending it to a main dealer (it ran perfectly but would not go over 30) they plugged it into their computer apparently the reversing switch was stuck in reverse so the computer wouldn't let it go over 30 you would never in a million years think of that. My daughter in law had a clio which suddenly decided not to start took it to a main dealer they plugged it into their computer their "technician "( they are not mechanics as without the PC they are useless) the computer could not diagnose the problem so they suggested a new engine at a cost of 1500 more than the car was worth and even then couldn't guarantee it would fix the problem she sold it on we buy any car for 300 (before she mentioned any of this to us) I said I could have got a recon engine for 300 quid and fitted it for free, or  maybe even found out what the problem was

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 10:32:36 pm »

That's a lovely looking new car Ken!

I've had twelve cars in twenty six years of driving; owning a Mk1 Mondeo for five years of that and the megane for five as well.

My first car was a Yugo that had plenty of 'Poverty Chrome' covering the rusty areas, the windscreen wiper broke off and had to be replaced from the scrap yard, and the gear shift broke once as the rubber pad joining the two part linkage gave way and was repaired by drilling through the metal parts and bolting back together.

My fourth car, a Nova was bought without a boot lock, and after three failed attempts by a Vauxhall dealer to order the correct one for me, I just stuck to using a secure screwdriver, oh and the fuse box became a death trap somehow shortly before I bought my first Mondeo. After the tinny Nova saloon (that I was waiting for to be readied for action so I could take my sister and I down to help clear a relative's house out in Dorset, I bought it's tax disk on the way down!)  The Mondeo was luxury :o)

I bought a Subaru Justy, which was fab, but was a bit rough and soon bought a second Mondeo that I owned for five years. Oddly (perhaps?) all three Mondeos I owned blew their head gasket. I'm driving a Megane now which is getting a bit clunky, but still does me for short trips to work and back. I always fancied a Ford Kuga.

Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.