Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AC Boats Pro 40  (Read 1813 times)

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
AC Boats Pro 40
« on: September 16, 2020, 07:07:59 pm »

At the start of this year I acquired an AC Pro 40 hull, that had been started in so much as inserting the engine mounts, fuel tank and buoyancy foam.

This hull is designed for a 40 engine to race in the popular Sport 40 class in the US. Unfortunately I don't have a spare 40 lying about (ok I actually have two), so a new A90 will have to do. I'm not expecting it to be drivable (or barely controllable), but it'll be a lot of fun either way.

Part of the issue getting an engine double the capacity the hull is intended for is clearance, or lack thereof. The existing mounts fit the engine after a trip to the milling machine, but the engine ground out in the bottom of the hull. The mounts were redrilled to allow the bobbins to sit further up, so it's now where I want it. The next issue is props - I've mounted the strut in the place it's called for in the manual, but that is to fit a 47mm prop under the transom. Due to how much area I have on the prop sizes I'll be using, I'm limited to props with the blade behind the dog, which puts out the Octura 4 series props, which are most of what I own. I have a choice of three so far that will fit, so hopefully one of them works

As it currently stands,  all that is left is to make and fit the push rods, make a turnfin bracket, attach the pipe mount, mount the fuel tank and decide how I'm going to retain the canopy. Then it's just run in the engine and find a spare pair of undies  %)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: AC Boats Pro 40
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 09:20:47 am »

Morning Andy..!

Love it. Can't wait for the video of first run...  (Better video that first run just in case you lose it in orbit...)

David.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 01:26:04 pm »

Andyn......that Savox SV0236MG servo on 7.2v, has a massive 555oz/inch...or 30 something lb/inch.....or about 15kg/25mm  :D

Assuming for the torque effect load on the rudder?...or is it a higher voltage & superior control?

With a rudder setup like or for this application, what is the weakest link?...are there mechanical stops built in to the linkages or hull proper?

Derek 

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 04:17:36 am »

... That rudder servo looks bigger than a couple of whole boats I've built!   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 09:14:13 am »

Blimey Andy, that's one hell of a set up, you sure it shouldn't have wings  :-)) :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2020, 10:12:10 am »

Andyn......that Savox SV0236MG servo on 7.2v, has a massive 555oz/inch...or 30 something lb/inch.....or about 15kg/25mm  :D

Assuming for the torque effect load on the rudder?...or is it a higher voltage & superior control?

With a rudder setup like or for this application, what is the weakest link?...are there mechanical stops built in to the linkages or hull proper?

Derek

I went with the 236 because I had it in a drawer and no use for it  %)  the rudder has a built in weak point having an M3 brass screw below an M4 stainless screw on the mount, so if it finds something to collide with in the water it shears the brass bolt and kicks the rudder up. Everything else is solid, pushrod is 3mm steel with hefty ball joints.

It'll definitely be recorded on it's first run, though I've got to run in the engine before I can push it

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 11:48:24 am »

This one sat around for a while while other things got finished, mostly because I was trying to think of a better way of securing the hatch than AC's prescribed way of using Velcro. There's nothing about that idea that I like. In the end I went with brackets at the back with button head machine screws going into a slot in the hatch, which I reinforced with a couple of layers of heavy carbon fibre cloth. The front of it is being pulled back towards the rear of the boat with O rings in P clips, with guitar neck strap pins. I also couldn't decide how to mount the fuel tank, but ended up deciding to have it within the sponson with the tubes running through the access hatch

I ended up changing the original rudder for a much larger one - it's going to need it. Have made a carbon turn fin to try, but I doubt it'll be too good so I've also made a stainless one.
This now brings me up to six completed boats in 2021, I'm starting to run out of stock to build. I've still got the black gpl to completely build, that'll be next, then I've got a John Finch Wild Thing, the yellow GPL needs sorting, then I've got another GPL sitting at work, then a 90 rigger, then... %)

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 02:36:24 am »

Nice job 👍
I have two of the AC Sport 40’s that I still race, one has a Mac .45 from Andy Brown that I usually run on 60% nitro, and the other I’ve converted to FE with a Neu 1527 on 6s2p. The FE boat is ridiculously fast 😜.
Brian

fto mivec

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 04:36:08 pm »

looking forward to the video  :o

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 06:40:33 pm »

My test run with the AC sport 40 converted to electric. Can’t believe it’s been 7 years but it’s still running great.
http://https://youtu.be/EFKK7F8yC_w

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.