Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paddle wheel to motor  (Read 1232 times)

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
Paddle wheel to motor
« on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:17 am »

For my sins I decided to have a go at scratch building and build a Waverley.      Width across the paddle boxes is almost 12" and I bought an MFA 919d geared motor 50:1 but nothing else so wondering what's the best way to transfer all that glorious rpm to the paddle wheels.    I have yet to build the paddle wheels but intend using plastic sheet and mounting on a solid one piece shaft between the two wheels.   That is where I have the problem.

What is the best / easiest way to connect paddle wheels to motor and where to get the components necessary.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Paddle wheel to motor
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 12:14:57 pm »

Personally I would opt for a belt drive, toothed would be best but a couple of V pulleys with an O ring would do it.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 01:46:05 pm »

It usually boils down to 3 options, pulley, toothed belt and gears. I've used double pulleys but would only recommend then for small low powered drives. The toothed belt and wheels work very well and are reliable, but cost more. We'll worth it in my opinion for the reliability.
    The only proviso for belt or pulley drives is that the paddle shaft can be removed occasionally for changing the belt, that's a sensible thing to plan into the design anyway.
     Gears are sometimes used, a friend of mine uses them in a Waverley. They can considered a bit loud by some people, but I find that when the superstructure is on and the model under way, it's not a problem.
   Belt drives can be bought from MFA como drills and they have a pdf with the range to look through. Gears I'm not sure where to look, but an internet search will turn something up, or another reader will know somewhere.
Chas

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 01:57:00 pm »

Motionco do a wide range of gears, pulleys, belts, bearings and so on of a size that suits models.

Greg

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 02:36:48 pm »

It was 10 years ago that I built my paddle Tug and I used Timing Belts and Pulleys from Motionco. Excellent results.
John

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 02:46:08 pm »

Sabre,
        Might be worth reading "Pulley Power" in the "Tutorial...." section of "Technical, Techniques..." part of this Forum?
Glynn Guest

leachim

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 11:35:28 pm »

When I built my paddle tug, more years ago than I care to calculate I used a single drive shaft, split in the middle with a straight coupling so the shafts could be removed from the inside, driven by a single Decaperm motor using meccano gears and chain. It was what was available at the time and it still works well. The motor on 6V is capable of moving the model, a Director class paddle tug, at more than scale speed and I find no need for independant paddle drive as the turning circle using the rudder is more than acceptable.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.