Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Jonny Tug build  (Read 1724 times)

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Aeronaut Jonny Tug build
« on: September 19, 2020, 03:39:38 pm »

Whether my building skills are up to a build blog is about to be tested.  I was looking for a project for the autumn/winter.  I had seen the Jonny advertised but overlooked it at first as to be quite frank it looked and sounded like a toy in the on line catalogues. It was only when Taranis posted the instructions on another thread that I looked closely at it and decided that was far from a toy and held the prospect of a satisfying build without a lot of the sanding and correcting of parts that most UK made models involve.  It also held the prospect of a lot of individualisation with the adding of as much detail as I want.
I duly ordered one and it arrived last week. Before purchasing I had done some research and decided that I wanted a bow thruster and a Hiab type crane as well as a reasonably detailed bridge and spent the time awaiting its arrival in sourcing various parts. Some I have still to  find but I have got most of the extras I want. As the build progresses I may decide to buy more.
On opening the box I was as usual surprised by the size of the hull. Model boats always tend to look smaller in the advert than on the workbench. The first thing that struck me was not what was in the box  but what was not. No pile of bags with hundred of white metal castings of varying quality most of it poor.  All of the wood and plastic parts for building were laser cut. No hacking around printed sheets trying to follow lines with a pair of scissors or craft knife.   

The hull itself is fibreglass but not as I know it. It is much finer than the models I am used to and indeed I at first thought it was plastic.  There will be no need for clagging on and sanding down the Isopon. There is a very noticeable mould line running from stem to stern that will require sanding. But I will leave that for the time being as it will act as a very good datum line for when I come to fitting the rudders and other bits and pieces.  The scuppers and other cut outs are indented  and clearly visible. Because the hull is relatively thin there is a full length frame that needs building and fitting.

I have yet to start the build proper as I am waiting for the bow thruster to arrive. That has to go in very early on and I have other things to occupy my time at the moment including the small matter of a collapsing garden fence. But I have made the stand. If  this is anything to go by it augurs well for the rest of the build. Notice the pegs holding the stand together are actually in the shape of anchors! Twee maybe but still a nice detail touch.

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Jonny build.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:42:45 pm »

I will try and add more pictures later. This was more in the way of a trial as I was not sure if they would upload satisfactorily

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:28:07 pm »

They look ok to me!  :-))

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 05:37:32 pm »

I'm very glad you chose this kit and you are sharing the build.  :-))
If it goes Pete Tong you can blame me  {-)

Lovely looking hull  O0
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 03:19:21 pm »

Looks interesting - I will follow progress. I have not seen a fiber glass (model) hull - but then again, what have I seen - being a beginner in this trade.

I, too, am in need for a (1/33) Hiab deck crane. Totally failing in my search. There are nice ones, but of the wrong size. Presently, I’m looking into 3D model libraries. I even thought of buying a truck and stripping its crane off it! but it would be expensive and I haven’t found right type - right size... So, ever more interested in your build am I!

cheers, Hande

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 04:07:38 pm »

Bauer-Modelle a German firm do a 1/24 scale crane similar to the Hiab. It is in fact a repackaged Italeri crane from their Truck Accessory pack. I have used this crane in the past on a model boat. Only then I bought the whole accessory pack most of which was eventually binned.  I was buying other things from Bauer when I bought mine last week so the high postage costs they charge were not so much of an issue. The truck accessory pack though is readily available on Ebay for around £25 to £29. It will take a bit of kit bashing and scratch building to use on my model but that is no great problem as I enjoy doing that with plastic models anyway.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 08:05:52 am »

thank you for the hint, ahammond!
I have listed dozens of shops already and this is yet another one that I hadn’t heard of. They don’t come up in web searches about cranes either.

This seems almost too good to be true. Effer crane is similar to Hiab and would do for me nicely.

Have I understood correctly that one specifies the scale between 1:20 and 1:75 and receives the product in exactly the correct size?

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 08:17:42 am »

I think that it is one of those kits that can fit in with a few different scales without looking out of place. Italeri list it as 1/24 which is the scale of their truck models.  I did look at their 1/24 figures as well but I think that they may be a bit too big for the Jonny.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 08:48:58 am »

Uwe Bauer is a good sport for model builders - It seems he “leads” Billing boats, too, among other things. Does it mean that he owns them now?

But yes - he should offer snail mail in addition to the expensive DHL  >>:-(

ahammond

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Jonny Tug build
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:29:28 am »

One modification that I am considering on the crane and which I have seen very effectively done on the Bandai showmans engine is to replace the hydraulic rods with polished metal nails. Looks much better than painted plastic. Just a case of getting hold of the right diameter nails.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.