Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixes to add throttle to rudder inputs - twin motors, Futaba T7C  (Read 4581 times)

Big E

• Full Mayhemer
  • If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Re: Mixes to add throttle to rudder inputs - twin motors, Futaba T7C
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2020, 05:00:22 pm »

Not sure what's going on here but I've replied to a couple of these comments in the past and although I "Post"ed them they didn't appear in the subject file.  So, apologies Jonathan, I did respond to your comment regarding OpenTX with reference to my initial comments on getting a new transmitter to give me more flexibility with a three-motor boat yesterday, but to no avail, so here we go again.
Firstly I took DJW's advice (thanks) and built a test rig to represent the three ESCs with three servos, plus a single servo for the rudder.  Then I took the plunge and bought a Radiomaster TX16S on OpenTX and started to play around with it.  It's a steep learning curve even with the help of "Painless360" Youtube videos and OpenTX Companion, but it is definitely worth the effort, the flexibility is truly amazing.  I have almost unlimited channels, unlimited mixes and unlimited models to go at and the Companion download even gives you a simulator to try out your programmes as you write them.  Please don't get the idea that I am experienced with computers, but with a little time and patience anyone can soon learn how to write the programmes for virtually any model.  You can programme the radio itself or do all your programming on a pc, play with the simulator, transfer files to the radio and then go out and sail.  Like Peter Kay's garlic bread, "it's the future"!
I now have a 4 channel, three motor boat which can spin on the spot via the rudder stick (left stick horizontal) and also go forward and reverse with biased steering from the two outer motors controlled on the aileron stick (right stick horizontal); no onboard mixing device, just three ESCs and a rudder servo.
I urge anyone to download the OpenTX Companion and have a go (it's free) to see what you are missing.  As a bonus, an OpenTX transmitter is cheaper than a decent 'ordinary' tx and you save on the price of mixing units.
Anyone want to buy a couple of excellent Action Electronics mixers and a brand new Spektrum DX6 with receiver?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2020, 06:29:44 pm »

Very interesting stuff, I've had a poke about online and this would seem to make most of our traditional tried and tested gear obsolete really.

Colin

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2020, 06:38:39 pm »

Big E, I am very happy that you have had success. Open TX is really an entirely new frontier. Interestingly, over here it's use is only seen in airborne models. When I have tried to discuss it with a local group, their eyes glaze over and everyone asks"why bother".Oh well. It is fantastic for model animation.
Cheers.

Big E

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2020, 07:13:51 pm »

Jonathan, the same seems to be the case here. Planes obviously give greater scope for complex radio systems and benefit from being able to choose different flight modes during a flight, mixing differentials etc, whereas boats tend to manage with just two channels in the main, so OpenTX might not be so attractive for boaters, but I think that the benefits should be carefully considered by us all. It's certainly opened up a whole new avenue of interest for me and my next models.
Colin, I agree, OpenTX could have a massive impact on conventional boat radio gear, but I don't think it will ever replace it. Not everybody wants to get involved in the electronics side of our hobby and they will stick to what they know.
My only regret so far is that the OpenTX hardware totally ignores the possibility that it might be used in boats. They seem convinced that all models have ailerons, slats and flaps. Still, we can cope!
Chris.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 07:48:33 pm »

Colin, I agree, OpenTX could have a massive impact on conventional boat radio gear, but I don't think it will ever replace it. Not everybody wants to get involved in the electronics side of our hobby and they will stick to what they know.

I quite agree too up to a point. If you have a single screw traditional rudder setup and no bells and whistles then all you need is two channels with an ESC and a rudder servo.

Things move up a gear with twin screws as differential control of the props both in conjunction with and independent of the rudder position do improve manouverability considerably although I managed most of that just using Bob's Boards and microswitches back in the early 1980s. The Mk 1 Cranium had it's advantages!

Adding a bow thruster puts something else into the mix although thrusters only really work well if the model is stationary.

Then of course there are the various working features that people like. Control of fire monitors to soak onlookers is everlastingly popular. Sound effects too, such as sirens although  engine noise is usually automatically linked to ESC speed output. To be honest I've never been much interested in engine sounds as if you are on the water in a small boat such as my old yacht, you were never really aware of any engine sound from passing ships even close up and at full speed on a Severn Class lifeboat the main on board audio is from the waves and slipstream (see pic). People also like to be able to switch lights on and off. I have boats with lights but feel no need to control them while the model is afloat, I just switch them on before launching if required.

However, as a former programmer myself, I do like the idea of Open TX as it enables those who want to tinker and experiment to do so to their heart's content. But this equally offers the opportunity to create a menu of options for non programmers to select from according to their requirements without having to delve into the technicalities so in that respect Open TX offers the opportunity for the best of both worlds. What's not to like?

Colin

Big E

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 08:18:18 pm »

Colin, a great response, thanks. Love the lifeboat photo too.  Were you on the crew?
If you haven't already done so, look at OpenTX Companion, I think you'll love it with your past experience.

Chris.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 08:39:45 pm »

No, not crew, I managed to blag a last minute spot aboard when the Newhaven Lifeboat met up with the last voyage of Seaplane Tender 206 in 2010. Fantastic experience. The lifeboat carried a number of RAF ASRL veterans. I was privileged to accompany them. Not something I will forget. I did an article for Model Boats Magazine at the time.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2020, 11:03:32 pm »

Learning to program my FrSky Trananis X9E. I belive that has open source TX. On my next build will need about 14 channels
john
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.