Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Tania-Maree" Australian mullet net boat  (Read 2017 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
"Tania-Maree" Australian mullet net boat
« on: December 25, 2022, 10:48:44 am »

Hi there Merry Christmas, this next model I have made for a friend of his mullet net boat that was built at K. F. Barlows of Ballina in 1974 , designed and built by their head shipwright Bert  Beattie, she was 24 x 8 x 2 ft after John had sold her she was re designed to a small prawn trawler working working on the Clarence River, where she now sits on the bank of the the Clarence River near MacLean, where during July I was able to take photo's and measurements of her to draw plans of her. I normally build in 1:16 scale , but being so small built her to 1:12 scale, I started her prior to finishing the last model the "Crystal-Voyager".Photo- 1  How she was as a mullet net boat working on the Richmond River ( Northern N.S.W).Photo- 2  How the poor old girl looks now.Photo's- 3 & 4  fitting the walnut stringers, the planking is Obechi.Photo- 5  I found using lighter timber ( stringers) , I probably should have installed more frames so as not to obtain flats between frames when ribbing her ,so had to brace the inside of the stringers between the frames, not the easiest to get to on small models.Photo's- 6 & 7  Boiling the Beech ribs & setting them in jigs.Photo's- 8 & 9  Ribbing her......Cheers  :-)) .

Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Tania-Maree" Australian mullet net boat
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 05:43:05 pm »

A very merry Christmas Brian from my family in the UK.

A fabulous start on this little boat and looking forward to the updates.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 08:41:57 pm »

Will you be building it "as built" or as it is now? Looks like 2 different boats. Strange extensions to the gunwales, or is it just a piece of loose railing hanging off?

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 09:15:08 am »

Hi Mark, thank you and the same from us down here to all your Family  :-) .....Hi Steve, built her as in the first photo, as who ever bought her from John ,put that extra raise deck area on and would have had a low set bulwarks or railing around her also trawl winch gantries and a sorting table ,but she looks a bit sad there and full of fresh water from all the rain we had over here .  When she was planked up gave her a couple of coats of Wood preserver inside and out , the motor beds are spotted gum planking taken out of the "Little-River"  (prawn trawler) , the Bollard post is of spotted gum as well but from a a section of planking taken out of our trawler "Debrene-Adele" back in the midd 1980's when we installed a sonar dome in her , also the front deck beams and the syeering tiller arm is of Colonial Teak decking off cuts when The "Debrene-Adele" was decked in 1977, the motor is a MFA 950D 385  2:5:1 Red I originall put this motor in the "Rambler" model but it wasn't powerful enough for her ( it gets a facelift),,Cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 02:34:15 am »

Hi There wishing every one the start of a Happy New Year today O0 ......I was able to cur another section of Camphor from the same block as I cut the base out of for the "Memphis-Belle" model, so the base consist of Camphor , Red cedar  & Beech. She had a low set deck house or open cockpit set up, section of back deck area that lifts out with the seat she had at the entrence to the deck house. Her steering was by a tillar, made this from Brass , Copper & Colonial Teak.I know why I steer clear of making small models ,especially when trying to install running gear, I used a small Micro servo for her steering ,I have used one of these once before in the "Northern-Light" model as she had no room to install a conventional servo , and i haven't had any trouble with the Micro servo in her  (touch wood  %% )... After finally working out how to attach the servo arm to the tillar , found that at full lock the tillar arm was shy by 1/8 inch so had to do some splicing of enough to do the job.
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 02:46:42 am »

One photo I meant to attach,  :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 04:09:24 pm »

What a gorgeous little boat she is - I also think that you lot down under are spoilt with the amazing species of wood you can get.  I'm just jealous but I'll get over it  {-) %%

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 08:19:15 am »

Hi there, Hi Mark  would be nicer if she was half the size again, but he only wanted her that size ,easy to pick up and carry, yes we have a selection of timbers out here ,but would hate to try to track down or buy today, unless you buy some of the rubbish from Bunnings Hardware .These photo's undercoated the hull , then had to do some surgery on the lift out deck area as found the battery was just a bit to tight of a fit, had to lengthen the wires to the servo , couldn't just clip the extension cable together as no space under the flooring beams on the lift out section so staggered and soldered the wires.  I stuck to the photo of where the waterline ran, but pity I didn't paint it about 2 mm higher all the way round ( maybe she may sit higher in the salt water at the pond ??? yeah I don't think so either ) seems to have plenty of grunt with her little 30 mm prop ( twigged a bit more pitch on her  :-)) ) with the 12 V system  cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 08:32:10 pm »

Morning, these are the last selection of photo's till we test her out at the pond. The last photo is of John taken on the Thursday morning prior to Christmas when he picked the model up after finishing his last shift of driving the Ballina ferry (fully retired) .....Cheers  :-)) ......
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 08:08:38 pm »

You know what Brian looking at that hull it looks so simple but it's not and I think thats part of the beauty of the boats that you make.  There's so much skill and fine carpentry in this build it's just so subtle.  Another really nice boat and will be a lovely addition to your fleet  :-))

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 05:30:27 am »

That turned out really great. Very nice lines. I think you're getting the hang of it.  ok2

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 07:23:20 am »

Another really interesting build Brian !  and a pleasure to watch it progress - here's to your next !!

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 09:32:56 am »

Another of your masterpieces, fantastic to watch.  And I bet your friend was happy to receive the replica of his old boat. Send him best wishes on retirement from a fellow ferry captain on the other side of the globe.
Hama

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 07:19:50 pm »

Gobsmacked, beautiful work, your friend should be very proud and it is a testament to your craftsmanship  :-))
Steamed up all the time

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 09:43:57 am »

Thanks guys for all the comments
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2023, 10:00:40 am »

Hit the wrong button  :embarrassed: , start again, Thanks guys for all the comments . We tried her out on our first sailing day at Ballina last Sunday , she did sit bit low in the bow as suspected she would with the battery etc all concealed under the cockpit area, put a couple of lead sinkers in the stern , but could do with a lighter battery would solve the problem, but other wise we were happy with how she looked and performed, in the last photo showing John with his model and friends , Steve Everson and his father Keith, Steve has a small prawn trawler that he works from Palmers Island on the Clarence River ( near Yamba),,,Cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 02:27:35 pm »

What a great subject! You captured the spirit of the boat. Excellent work.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 09:14:27 am »

Hi Guy's ,have a couple additions to the "Tania-Maree" model ,,,decided to make the 2 net punts "Tania" & "Maree" she would tow behind her, they come in at 16.5 x 6  3/8 inch ,made from 3 mm & 1.7 mm ply , Colonial Teak  keel, ribs & sponson's ,bollard posts are of spotted gum and also brass net rollers. When it came to making the rowing oars (photo 7) I used one of the oars I made for the net dinghy on the "Ocean-Dynasty" model only these rowing oars are being made to the 1:12 scale on this model, I got half way through making the rollicks but they just didn't look right ? then realized they were  back the front ( so as you can see that's how much rowing I have done  :embarrassed: ),I never picked that up (nor anyone else) when I made the earlier oars,these are made from Tassy oak Colonial Teak, Brass & Copper ( more photo's to come) Cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2023, 07:18:38 am »

Hi there, these photo's are of the 2 net punts finished and ready to try out at the Model Club at Ballina tomorrow, cheers.  :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2023, 07:27:19 am »

Hi there , we had a nice morning at the Ballina Marine Modellers Club, John Gallagher bought his "Tania-Maree" down and we tested the twin net punts the "Tania" & the "Maree"behind her, John bought along 2 of his Grandson's  ,they took it in turns driving her around..Cheers. :-))
Brian  B

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2023, 08:55:44 am »

What a lovely way to spend a Sunday morning  :-)) :-))
Don't Assume Check

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2023, 01:43:11 pm »

They look very very nice  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 11:19:35 am »

Hi Mark, well that should keep John happy,his mullet boat and punts ...... :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 03:53:22 pm »

Hi Mark, well that should keep John happy,his mullet boat and punts ...... :-))

Without a doubt  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.