Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plastic Weld vs Acetone  (Read 1865 times)

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
Plastic Weld vs Acetone
« on: September 21, 2020, 09:32:22 am »

I've always used Plastic Weld for gluing styrene joints, but as i had a bottle of Acetone i thought i would try this. It seems to work pretty well. So is Plastic Weld actually just Acetone? Or is there any downside to using Acetone?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Plastic Weld vs Acetone
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 11:55:44 am »

Plastic Weld contains Dichloromethane (Methylene chloride) a harmful solvent which is why you should use it with good ventilation. Acetone is another solvent although less harmful but still should be used with good ventilation. Acetone will evaporate more quickly and is probably more flammable due to this, the vapour will spread out quickly so you mustn't have any source of ignition nearby. The faster evaporation may lead to the join being weaker as the plastic in the join will not dissolve so much and give a poorer weld.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 02:01:42 pm »

Thanks Jim, good to know

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 02:55:42 pm »

I use MEK to make joints in styrene.  First learned of it in the instructions for the Model Slipways Loyal tender. 

Put a small quantity in a glass jar with a tight lid, like a baby food jar.  cut up some styrene scraps very small and add it to the jar.  It dissolves in 24 hours or less, and acts as a filler in joints you make.  Use a small artist brush to apply it to joints.

Same safety precautions as mentioned in the other entries above.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 04:01:31 pm »

Well, you learn something new every day! I did not know you could use Acetone on styrene. I knew of it being used in the forties/fifties for sticking together cellulose based kits as described by an old modeller friend, but not that it had a similar effect on styrene plastics.

I learnt that during 'Ketosis' where the body breaks down fats, the body makes acetone and it can cause kidney failure.
Pond weed is your enemy

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 06:07:18 pm »

So i just had a quick look on eBay, and a 50ml bottle of Slaters MEK Adhesive is £10.85. Or you can buy a 1 Litre bottle of 99.9% Pure MEK for £10.95! I can't believe I have only just found this out; i could have potentially saved a small fortune over the years!

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:44:37 am »

I use MEK to make joints in styrene.  First learned of it in the instructions for the Model Slipways Loyal tender. 

Put a small quantity in a glass jar with a tight lid, like a baby food jar.  cut up some styrene scraps very small and add it to the jar.  It dissolves in 24 hours or less, and acts as a filler in joints you make.  Use a small artist brush to apply it to joints.

Same safety precautions as mentioned in the other entries above.

Do you clean the brush with MEK?

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 04:32:12 pm »

Do you clean the brush with MEK?

I let the brush go hard, then when I want to use it again, all I do is put it in the MEK for a short time and its ready to go again.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 04:36:24 pm »

Another Tip, from a Plumber ( = me Retired ) go to a Plumbers Merchants and ask for Plastic Pipe Cleaner NOT the Glue, that is used to join Bath and Basin Waste Pipes, I have used it for years to weld Styrene.

Len.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 07:35:30 pm »

I just wipe my small brush dedicated to MEK very dry after use.  It does not get too hard and as soon as it goes into the jar again it is soft and ready to go.

BTW a quart of MEK at local home stores is about $9.00.  That's pretty much lifetime supply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.