Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Harwich Harbour  (Read 3642 times)

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
Harwich Harbour
« on: September 27, 2020, 12:38:21 pm »

We've just spent a couple of days staying in a hotel overlooking Harwich harbour.

You see things like this chuntering past and you can't help but think 'could I make a model of that'. Probably not, but it does no harm to dream.
Maybe I should try the lightship, no bother with motors, shafts, batteries etc with that one. I did make a Revell plastic kit of a UK lightship, many, many moons ago.

Incidentally it's the Stena Forerunner, Ro-Ro freight, it does the Harwich, Parkeston - Rotterdam return trip everyday.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Harwich Harbour
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 12:31:00 pm »

Found these two PIcs i took from a similiar position back in about 1989, great place for a run ashore, umpteen pubs and guaranteed a lock in each night.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:46:39 pm »

A lot less pubs now. Still just about enough though.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 02:13:46 pm »

Thats a shame, my lads when they went ashore spent a fortune on beer, i think the local landlords then thought their Xmas's and birthdays had arrived at once. From what I could see the local trade was very slow, but the RMAS crew thought Harwich was their best run ever, friendly pubs good beer and plenty of lock ins. I always used to get alongside the Trinity pier when ever I could if I was in the area, the Trinity shore staff were very friendly and always obliging.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 03:36:30 pm »

My last visit to Harwich, that was about2003. The place was still then a great place for good pubs, though I think the fun has gone out of seagoing now that the DTI has made all ships dry boats, the only way at times to survive bad weather and boredom was a drink in moderation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.