Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry C does some turning & milling and builds a new steam plant.  (Read 92808 times)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry C does some turning & milling and builds a new steam plant.
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:34 pm »

I  assembled one engine top end and kept bottom end separate. Ran them through a dish washer cycle then etch primed then sprayed with white radiator paint. Married top to bottom, set valve timing and finally replaced cylinder and valve chest covers. All "o" rings in and joints sealed with hylomar paste. Gave everything a good oiling and set the engine up on the lathe for running in.
Last picture one more to do.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #326 on: February 20, 2015, 05:33:51 pm »

While setting the piston timing the piston rod turned but the piston didn't. I think my loctite has seen better days. Removed both pistons and rods. Reapplied loctite to threads, centre popped the rod into the brass piston to add a bit more security. Drilled two holes into the piston tops and modified an old screwdriver to make adjustment easier in future.
The engine is still tight and notchy. The crossheads run hot when running in on the lathe so I eased the guide rod holes a tad and let them find an easier position. I'm running in useing a mixture of silver polish and 20/50 oil. Will have to get a new reducing valve for my compressor as it laid down and died when blowing the wife's bike tyres up the other day.
Jerry.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #327 on: February 20, 2015, 10:40:09 pm »

Nearly there Jerry  :-))

Only got a boat to build now!  I'm looking forward to that.  O0 (Oh, and a boiler, gas tank, oil trap, water pump......  %% )

Greg

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #328 on: April 25, 2015, 05:44:31 pm »

Hi Jerry
Just looking through your blog and what a fantastic blog it is and what a wonderful job you have made of the engine.
well done and thank you for sharing it with us.
I was particularly interested in the Draper vernier attached to you lathe.
Is it it possible for you to tell me where you purchased it? it would certainly take the guess work out of my backlash!

If you wish to make a boat I wish you well, you can follow my exploits on "building the alaska" if it helps.

best wishes
Alan Kerr

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #329 on: April 25, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »

Hi Alan, thanks for the comments. All at a standstill at the moment. Too many other things going on. Vernier is off fleabay. It's a tyre tread depth indicator. About £3.50 if I remember. Also got the magnets off fleabay for pennies. Really works a treat. Get two one for cross slide tother for carriage travel.
Jerry.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #330 on: April 25, 2015, 07:12:13 pm »

Thank you Jerry, I thought you having a joke by saying Fleabay instead of eBay but I've just found out there is a fleabay!
cheers
Alan

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #331 on: April 25, 2015, 07:56:17 pm »

I was joking. I didn't know there was a fleabay either. The wife's just googled it. If you can't find them on there go to eBay.
Jerry.

Kerrsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2015, 10:04:04 am »

Amazing, thanks again
Alan

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #333 on: November 18, 2016, 11:44:18 pm »

So, what happens now? Well, we are both retired now and so things have changed a lot.
We have bought a 57' narrowboat called Angelica. She was 2 years old when we got her and I have spent the last two years getting used to her and seeing that she is equipped for continuous cruising. We've kept her in a marina in Cheshire. We've worked hard getting our house ready for letting and downsizing to live on the boat. We now have a tenant and are living with our daughter in Canberra in sunny Oz until May 2017 when we return to the UK and the boat and start our cruise on the Leeds Liverpool canal system.
Steam Launch Wear is safely stowed aboard together with her support system and I hope to sail here in many places on the cut in our summer cruise.
I've brought my boiler, burner, engine and feed pump to Oz with a view to building a boat around the plant down here. I've made an introductory visit to the Tuggeranong Men's Shed here and after a few more visits hope to join the society.
If any Mayhemers are interested we run a blog on Facebook called "The Carts Down Under" and another called "Angelicas Adventures".
I'm copying this to "Jerry's Steam Launch Wear" thread as well. And will keep following Mayhem.

Jerry, (living the dream).

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2016, 09:42:42 am »

How lovely to hear your update Jerry, sounds like you are a contented man.  Glad to hear that S/L Wear will be accompanying you into a long and enjoyable retirement.  :-)) :-))

If you start your new boat in Oz are you intending to finish her before May next year?  That would be quite a race!  Or have you transferred the essentials of your workshop to Angelica?  And will we get to see the build on Mayhem?

Enjoy the sunshine down under!

Greg (slightly envious)

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2016, 01:00:53 pm »

Hi again Greg, all tools sold, given away or returned to lenders. Exquisitely painful experience. No motor bike or car anymore in U.K.  Bought a used petrol Ford Focus over here in Oz. Got bicycle here too. Two Bikes on boat for use when its too far to walk. Boat fully equipped to do any job I can do myself, if I can squeeze overweight, arthritic body into the engine space. Fully teched  up with mobile internet, smart TV and Apple TV l, even got a wifi printer. Only plan is to get to the Albert Dock for the Mersey river Festival. We are waiting to hear from authorities if we have got a slot for entry.  No more deadlines. Model will be finished when it's finished. Looking at 4-5' long GRP hull trimmed out with exotic Australian hardwoods or what I can get from Bunnings. Will certainly write up the build on here.
The most important thing is no more winters!!! No more stress. Go when and where we like, when we like. Stop where we like for as long as we like. Only proviso is finding a marina to overwinter in that's near an international airport at end of November ready to fly to Oz. Thankfully Singapore Airlines now fly into Canberra which makes a huge difference. Only 6 1/2 hours from Singapore. 
Watch this space. Thanks for the good wishes.
Jerry.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2020, 09:30:24 am »

The building of the launch to put all the previous in continues on mayhem entitled “ Jerry’s Second Steam Launch.
Jerry C.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.