Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flexible couplings, universal joint  (Read 1609 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
flexible couplings, universal joint
« on: September 30, 2020, 06:20:39 pm »

Looking at a bit of u-tube on the web I learnt one what had been puzzling me about the operating geometry of the universal joint . When it is in straight alignment ,no problem , drive is straight through . But when it is driving at an angle the output end of the coupling is varying in speed to the input end to a degree which is dependant on the deviation from straight through .  Plotted on a graph this speed change is a slowing down over 90 degrees followed by an increase of speed on the next 90 degree of turn ie: 4 changes per revolution . Therefore with a prop shaft revolving at say 4000 rpm the output shaft will oscillate 266 times per second, the severity of the shake being dependant on the angle of deflection .

No wonder the mantra is " Keep those shafts dead straight guys "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCMZz6YhbOQ
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: flexible couplings, universal joint
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 06:35:15 pm »

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 06:47:29 pm »

I prefer the use of silicone tubing too.
Quieter an can take misalignment withoot many problems plus the faster the shaft goes it has the effect of tightening the tubing.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 01:02:15 am »

ANY misalignment puts stress on the connected shafts and bearings.  It can cause vibration and early failure.  Get shafts as near perfectly aligned as possible.  {:-{

Des

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 07:10:01 am »

The discussion so far has referred to a situation where there is only a single flex coupling between motor and prop shafts, in which case it is highly desirable to minimise any mis-alignment.  However I have one model where such a drive arrangement was not possible, and I ended up having to use double HUCO typ.e couplings and an intermediate shaft between the motor and prop shafts, with offsets both vertically and horizontally.  In such drive arrangements vibration is minimised as long as both the motor shaft and prop shaft are parallel, even if not in the same plane.  But if there is more angle in one coupling than the other then vibration may be accentuated, with undesirable results.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 10:09:37 am »

Interesting and logical I had a feeling something like this was happening nice to have it nailed down.  I have a 3 inch length of old 1/2 inch copper water piping which Huco couplings fit snuggly into.  It is great for the set up but the motor has to be 'unscrewed' for removing the piping.

Silence is golden and a quiet transmission is a good guide.  Another test I use is to turn the prop and feel for the twitches in the motor.  (brushed of course).
regards
Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 11:46:05 am »

You can use a ball and cup type joint instead of cardan joints, they work with constant velocity. Raboesch supply versions that they call 'needle' couplings, and they use the same splined inserts as their cardan joints. e.g.

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/raboesch-couplings.html

But rubber couplings work very well and are cheap silent and don't wear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.