Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendation for airbrush acrylic paint brands please  (Read 4588 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Recommendation for airbrush acrylic paint brands please
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 09:42:40 am »

...................................... I thin them with window and glass cleaner, (Windolene or Mr Muscle, other brands are available!), 10 -15% for brush application, 40 - 50% for airbrushing......................

There are lots of anti grease chemicals including the white vinegar and water mix that we use.

What is the ingredient that you are looking for in your window cleaner and what are you looking for it to achieve that deionised water would not?

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2020, 07:41:00 pm »

Hi Tug Fanatic,

I am just using window/glass cleaning stuff because I've got it in the kitchen cupboard and it works.

Next time I'm in Halfords stocking up on modelling basics,   P38 / 40, Wet'n Dry, rattle-can primers, tack rags, etc. I'll get some de-ionised water as well.

Thanks for the tip!

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2020, 11:53:47 pm »

I've heard Alloy wheel cleaner works well as a de-greaser....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2020, 08:41:49 am »

Mike S
I am not recommending de ionised water. I have always painted with enamels so have had no reason to try it. I just thought that if water cleans your brushes then it should dilute the paint!

I just would like to know what it is about window cleaner that makes it desirable as a dilutant.

Martin Brake cleaner is widely used as a degreaser.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2020, 01:31:20 pm »

Mike S
I am not recommending de ionised water. I have always painted with enamels so have had no reason to try it. I just thought that if water cleans your brushes then it should dilute the paint!

I just would like to know what it is about window cleaner that makes it desirable as a dilutant.

Martin Brake cleaner is widely used as a degreaser.

I know that if you can get it some people use Windex.  It has ammonia and isopropyl in it both of which are degreasers as far as I know.  I have to be honest though......I just buy Vallejo thinners, cleaner and flow improver.  I think I've replaced them once in 4 years.  It works great and does what it says on the tin and when you work out how little you use its not actually that expensive.

Railbob

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2020, 05:57:55 pm »

I’m currently using Valspar wood and metal satin for my HMS Javelin, I was using Halfords Ford Polar Grey but it was expensive at £7.50 a go.A 1l tin from B&Q is around £21 and will last me quite a few models. If anyone wants to buy some just go to the Valspar paint desk in any B&Q store and ask for “Royal Navy Grey NARN 22” as the mix is stored online 👍
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.