Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: U-Boot(ee)  (Read 2262 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
U-Boot(ee)
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:19:00 pm »

After a gap of a few years, I thought I'd try another RC submarine.  Luckily, although in the midst of the Government dictated lock-down, there was enough material to hand for this.
Rather than basing it on the modern types I've favoured in the past, something the general public would instantly recognize as submarine was used, i.e. a WW2 U-Boat.
Dynamic diving type, maybe not as clever as the "all singing and dancing types" full of ballast tanks and electronics but something like 80% of the fun for 20% of the cost/effort is its main appeal.
A simple free flooding hull with a central watertight box for the RC and built mainly from bits of spare plywood I had lying around.  Three RC functions needed (rudder/ESC/hydroplane) and controlled by a 40 MHz radio outfit (so glad I didn't discard it in the rush to 2.4 GHz!).
It took a couple of trial runs until it could be trimmed to cruise in a stable submerged fashion and is now a safe and reliable performer. But, it (like all our model ought to receive) 100% care in preparation, operation and maintenance. Relying on other people to recover your stranded model is not a good option with RC submarines!
Glynn Guest

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: U-Boot(ee)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:45:32 pm »

Is this to be published?

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »

Is the aerial so you can see it, or to get the signal?.
I thought 40meg travels through water.

Regards.
Len.

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 07:47:53 pm »

Tug Fanatic,
             Maybe in the future.  The Editor has four plan features of mine already in hand so no rush.

Big Ada,
          Try reading the the "Simple RC Submarines" thread in the "Tutorials and how to" section and all will be revealed.

Glynn Guest

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 06:50:40 am »

Brilliant and great fun I am sure.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 04:38:33 pm »

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 11:02:44 am »

Wasn't planning to send it to the Editor of "Model Boats" so soon but a spate of rewriting and tiding my files made me do it.
Such a straightforwards model to build, note I do not say easy to build.  But it just needs the ability to cut cleanly and glue accurately. Plus the care to make sure that everything works reliably and the hatch is properly screwed down of course!
Could easily be changed from a basic "Uboot" appearance to match other submersibles.
Glynn Guest 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 12:42:19 pm »

Reminds me of an old article by Kapitan Bill Thomas - U789 - The Whole Story!
( One of my favourite Model Boat articles of all time! )

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/Builds/U789/1ndex.htm

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 03:33:18 pm »

Hi Martin, That is the famous Bill Thompson, A long standing member of Tynemouth MBC, the one who invented the infamous Wedge and did a lot of work on Subs. The article is about the troubles and tribulations of submarines, regards Bill Carpenter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.