Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris's Fairey Swordsman 33  (Read 14480 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Chris's Fairey Swordsman 33
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2021, 04:14:56 pm »

Not much progress on the Faireys lately but I've started fitting the strakes on the Swordsman. Not one of my favourite jobs!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2021, 04:10:31 pm »

Finished fitting the strakes to the Swordsman and those to the Huntsman 31. Well on with fitting those to the Huntress.

Doing one is bad enough, never mind three!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2021, 04:24:33 pm »

The joys of more than one project at a time. By the third one, you’ll have sussed how to do it! They both look the part.

Is that styrene triangular section? No whittling them like me  {-)
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: May 21, 2021, 06:12:07 pm »

Hi Stu

Yes they are 60 degree triangular section styrene, 3mm on the Huntsman and 4mm on the Swordsman. Been thinking about giving it a go for sometime before having a go at cutting some square section timber down.

Pretty pleased with how they have turned out.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2021, 04:37:51 pm »

Well that's the strakes fitted to the Huntress as well. The shortest hull by some margin but I've fitted 4 strakes per side. This is where the small 3mm section comes into play.

Next job will be fitting the prop shafts into the Swordsman and Huntsman and we shouldn't be too far off doing some painting then.

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2021, 09:33:39 pm »

Tidy work there Chris.
The strakes make such a difference to the look of the model don't they.

Also, the Huntress hull looks Sooooooo beamy in comparison to the Huntsman and Swordsman.

Looking forward to seeing them all with some colour on.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2021, 11:04:50 pm »

Yes, they certainly do Will.

The Huntress does look beamy, certainly compared with the Huntsman being long and narrow, but the photo makes it appear more so. The Swordsman is a much bigger hull.

The Huntress hull has become one of my favourites and may well be the only one of the Faireys that I build another of at some point. 

Your list of boats looks to be getting longer!

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2021, 11:25:28 pm »

The Huntress is such a pretty boat isn't it. It's a favourite of mine, but the Swordsman just pips it to the post.

What variation or modification would you do if you did build another one?

Yes, guilty, I have picked up two more Aerokits boats, 18" Sea Urchin and 20" Fast Patrol boat. The Sea Urchin is pretty complete, not much woodwork to do on it and try to squeeze in all of the rc gear, battery and motor, as they're only small boats.

I haven't had any time to work on any of them of late, been concentrating on our campervan conversion when weather allows (the downside of working outside the house and not under cover.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2021, 05:00:45 pm »

Glue left to fully dry for the strakes to the Huntress and then the ends trimmed and sanded at the transom.

Yes, the Huntress is a pretty little boat and I particularly like the long cabin version I'm building. If I build another one I've thought about doing the naval version but it would still look too similar to my other Huntress (built by Dave Milbourn) so it would probably be a race boat as I wouldn't have to plank the deck!

Plans and kits for the Huntress have the rudder in some way from the stern, like other Faireys, for ease of build and water-proofing, but I'd like to have a go at positioning it on the outside of the transom like the full-size boats.

I wouldn't have been doing much on the boats either, as I would have started doing more "summer" type things but the run of inclement weather has allowed me to spend time on the builds and get the strakes fitted. A job I'm glad to have got ticked off so that the builds can progress and see some paint at some stage.

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2021, 11:54:54 pm »

Great to see the two hulls side by side Chris and see how much of a difference there is between the two.
Loving the contrast of the light deck and darker gunwales, that looks great. Not that there is anything wrong with the DM one either of course.

I don't think that it would be too hard to make a rudder set up as per the full size Huntress if you do build another one at some point.
Because it would be partially hidden/obscured from sight by the boarding ladder on the transom, i suspect many people wouldn't be too bothered by a non scale rudder position and the easier set up would make life easier for them too.  It would make a nice change to see one in the correct position though wouldn't it.

I'm looking forward to having a go at building my one at some point in the future. 23", so won't look out of place with my almost 1:12, 34" H31.

Will

49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2021, 10:04:06 am »

Neat job on the strakes Chris,  they do give the hulls an authentic look,  and should make some nice water rails to plain on.  :-))

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2021, 10:17:51 am »

Thanks Joe, yes, they certainly set the hulls off.

Work has stalled at the moment due to doing "summer" things but it is raining this morning!

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2022, 05:37:22 pm »

I did do some more work before the summer recess but not enough to start painting. I failed again!   O0

But recently I've started again and got the prop shaft glued in, just needs fairing with P38.

Want to do the same with the Huntsman 31 but that's stalled until I can source the motor mount that I want - see Wants section. Otherwise will have to make one.

Chris

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2022, 05:09:39 pm »

Hi Chris

Great to see progress, I also lost a few months over last summer and autumn, trying hard with my build now to get ready for this summer...

Can't help with that particular motor mount, other than I have some aluminium angle that looks about right, happy to send some up if that helps.

Best regards
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2022, 07:51:01 pm »

Thanks David.

I'm going to try a nylon mount I found amongst my spares, though it's not my favourite material, can't beat a bit of aluminium! Failing that I will make one.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2022, 11:16:50 am »

Thanks David.

I'm going to try a nylon mount I found amongst my spares, though it's not my favourite material, can't beat a bit of aluminium! Failing that I will make one.

Chris

Why not try a cast alloy water-cooled mount Chris?

They are as "cheap as chips" (used to be !),  quite small, and they easy to find on eBay. They are as "solid as a rock" and give universal fitting for any type of brushed or brushless motor type that you could ever want to use in any of your Fairey fleet.

As they are adjustable for angle (and motor mounting screw width) and are easy to remove from the side cheeks that can be bonded into your hull to give easy access when cleaning or making any repairs or changes,

There is no need to connect any water cooling tubes to the nipples if you prefer not to use water cooling - the cast alloy mount acts as a reasonably good heat sink in any case - and you will always have the option to go water cooled if you should ever feel the need in the future.

Available from a number of sources - the link I sent you is for a UK supplier that I buy mine from. :-))

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2023, 11:57:40 am »

Just been asked about progress on my Huntress stern-drive build. Away for a couple of days but will be trying it on the water very soon.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2023, 03:59:33 pm »

You will get it wet if you put it in the water Chris  {-)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2023, 05:13:05 pm »

I'll just have to risk it Bob!   :-)

I've got a roll of kitchen towel in the car!

Chris

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2023, 05:49:13 pm »

That's a lovely couple of boats there Chris  :-))

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2023, 05:57:08 pm »

I like the wide hardwood cappings on top of the cabin sides.

You did well to bend them to shape around the tight curve where they meet the deck  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2023, 09:18:29 pm »

Thanks Mark. If you look at the previous page there is actually five. The Huntress is the one in the foreground, so has come on a bit.

Bob, the capping is actually in two pieces, couldn't quite form the bend by just steaming so had to resort to some saw cuts.

Chris

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2023, 08:10:31 pm »

Looking great Chris, thanks for the update :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2023, 02:51:53 pm »

Thanks, I'm very pleased with how it is turning out. Lake trials were carried out this morning, I'll post photos in a bit.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: May 18, 2023, 05:02:07 pm »

After reversing the steering in the Tx and increasing the amount of throttle the Huntress performed well at slow and fast speeds and cornered in a nice controlled manner helped by its weight. It even reversed quite well. It was dry inside with no water going in through the open windows or via the holes for the stern-drive. Successful trials and very happy with how it performed. Just got to finish it off now!

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.