Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris's Fairey Swordsman 33  (Read 14615 times)

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
Re: Chris's Fairey Swordsman 33
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2023, 09:49:31 am »

Looking good and on the water!

%% 

nice looking lake you’ve got there.
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2023, 02:06:05 pm »

Thanks Stu.

About time I know! Though it is the last one I started!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2023, 08:40:05 pm »

Thanks Stu.

About time I know! Though it is the last one I started!

Chris

Well you’re way ahead of me!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2023, 02:04:31 pm »

Fair play Chris, the Huntress looks spot on on the water and certainly appears to perform well too  :-))

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2023, 10:18:18 pm »

Thanks Will.

I was really chuffed. Couldn't risk a shot of it turning at speed with the Tx in one hand and camera in the other! But it handled like a true Fairey!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2023, 08:32:32 pm »

So you should be Chris, credit where it's due. The attention to detail that you put into your builds, they're all going to look fantastic on the water and no doubt handle as expected.
I'm really pleased that you've got to this stage. Must be a huge relief being able to carry out sea trials on the 1st one after so much time and effort.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2023, 09:01:05 pm »

This one was the unknown quantity and therefore the most interesting, what with it having a stern-drive and it's weight at the back.

Chris

Waiting2Retire

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2023, 08:55:27 pm »

Hi Chris,

Can I ask where you got your triangle section from for the spray rails?

EDIT - asked about keel thickness originally but re-read the article just now and can I see it’s two 3mm parts laminated that overlap in the Dave M 1/12 plan.

I am planning (hoping? dreaming?) to build a 1/12 Huntress (Dave M plans from 2017 Model Boats, MB2131) and the plans are in the post from Sarik, the Oct 2017 Winter Special has a great build guide mentioning every part material excluding the thickness of the Keel.

Very much enjoyed your build threads, not sure I can cope with building one though, I am amazed at you building several Fairey's at a time!

Paul

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2023, 11:05:29 am »

Hi Chris,

Can I ask where you got your triangle section from for the spray rails?

EDIT - asked about keel thickness originally but re-read the article just now and can I see it’s two 3mm parts laminated that overlap in the Dave M 1/12 plan.

I am planning (hoping? dreaming?) to build a 1/12 Huntress (Dave M plans from 2017 Model Boats, MB2131) and the plans are in the post from Sarik, the Oct 2017 Winter Special has a great build guide mentioning every part material excluding the thickness of the Keel.

Very much enjoyed your build threads, not sure I can cope with building one though, I am amazed at you building several Fairey's at a time!

Paul

I found it impossible to find any triangular section hard wood anywhere when I wanted to add the "strakes to my LesRo Rapier restoration and my 1/12 scale Swordsman build, so I decided to make my own triangular section "strakes" from hardwood strips.

This link will show you how I made them:-  https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65518.125.html post 140 - 145
inclusive.

Also see here with more info about them and see them being fitted on my restoration Rapier hull.:- 

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64555.100.html  post 104 - 124.

Since then, I have made triangular section strakes to fit several more of my new build and restoration models, and the Rapier has clocked up well over 100 hours actual running time with them fitted with no problems or failures..........and they look good  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2023, 02:11:44 pm »

Hi Paul

As Bob says, despite searching high and low, we have been unable to source triangular timber. Well, we did find one place that does dolls house materials, but they wouldn't supply at more than 300mm.

Bob's method is fine for his larger models but not for a Huntress which has much smaller strakes. I need to check but I think I used 4mm. I used 60 deg Styrene strip which I got from Deans Marine. Being 1000mm lengths be aware the postage is very expensive!

Another method, which I used on my Huntsman 28 (which is basically a longer Huntress) was to use square Basswood and sand it to a round profile. See photo.

Great that you are planning on building a Huntress. They are lovely little boats and probably my favourite Fairey. Don't be wary of building one as Dave's (the late great) method makes it pretty easy and straightforward. I actually used three 6mm layers of ply for the keel to give plenty of meat for the prop tube and cut the deck out as one rather than two pieces. Model Boat Magazine forum has my detailed builds for both my Huntress, albeit stern-drive, and River Cruiser, based on the Huntress and very similar.

Anything you want to know, just ask.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2023, 02:56:10 pm »

Another tip Paul. Don't use Lite Ply! The weightsaving is negligible and unnecessary as the hull is very bouyant and brushless motors are powerful!

Use  some nice birch ply from the likes of SLEC.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2023, 03:56:55 pm »

Talking of the River Cruiser I did pop down the lake for trials.

I shall try a heavier battery, further back , but other than that I was very pleased. The Overlander brushless motor and HobbyWing Quicrun ESC allowed me to move off very smoothly and slowly and trickle along as befits this type of boat.

You can clearly see the increased freeboard compared with the Huntress, which as per the full-sized prototype I shall reduce visibly by the addition of a dark blue band under the deck rubbing strip.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: September 14, 2023, 04:08:07 pm »

Paul

Here is the keel. My prop tube is 8mm outside diameter so needed some extra in the width.

Chris

Waiting2Retire

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2023, 04:33:41 pm »

Hi Zooma,

Yes I have your threads bookmarked, I came across them in my endless reading on Fairey builds during "the great indecision of last week". I don't have a bandsaw, but your thread made me want one not just for the strakes! I already started drinking more tea for the Yorkshire template supplies.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the feedback, I have read your lengthy thread on the MB forum and saw the dollhouse supplier comments somewhere on my travels. Strakes are some way away yet, DHL have my plan somewhere rattling around the back of the van to be delivered from 12:45-14:45, he writes at 15:45...

I originally was going to have a crack at the SLEC 1/8th Huntress, but the more I read the more I fancied a go at building from plans. I was also debating if a smaller model was more practical to transport when doing family stuff as well, but the Huntman needs dual props to do it justice and the smaller 1/16th SLEC looked short of space for that. The 1/8th Huntsman has a lot of room but is a bit big at 47", already have a family heirloom 54" boat to store - I found the Vic Smeed plan as well (mm680) in that size/scale.

I decided to go with Dave's plan for the 1/12th Hunstman as the build article is pretty clear for a newbie to follow, and I found there is a 1/12 huntsman (mm1061) so I could always expand the fleet at the same scale and 1/12th huntsman would have room for dual motors without being too big. The more recent plans Dave drew up seem to be much more detailed and easier to follow than very old plans - having looked at one recently in detail for a Vic Smeed design 60 years old.

Complete over-analysis complete, I ordered from Sarik Dave's 1/12th Huntress plan and the older 1/12 Huntsman plan for "later" as postage on plans is expensive and at £13.50 at the time Scrooge McHobby decided it was worth getting them at the same time.

First I need to start simpler with a Police Launch for my nephew for Christmas as a warm up act (nothing like a deadline to keep moving), again I looked at SLEC kit but ordered the Veron plan from Colin Smith and plan to build from plan as a warm up to the Huntress.

I will start my own build thread once I actually get started, but can I ask two quick questions about your Huntress picture above:
- What prop shaft did you use? I want "from Russia with love" performance so I was debating a 5mm shaft in an 8mm tube to remove that as a point of trouble if I get carried away on the motor side.
- Can't quite read the text on your motor in the picture, is it something like a 3536 1000Kv(ish)? (I have a table of all the motor combo's I found in peoples build threads

Once I get a good look at the plans, order going into SLEC for the wood and I will swap the lite ply for real ply thanks for that tip.
[/size]
[/size]Paul

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2023, 05:34:37 pm »

Hi Paul

Great to see someone else getting sucked into all things Fairey!

The photo is actually my River Cruiser as my Huntress is stern-drive. The motor would probably give good performance but was sized (over-sized as is my want!) for slow/medium performance. Dave used a Turnigy D2836/11 750kv in one of his prototypes for the drawings, which I have (see previous posts) and goes well on 3S.

I don't build light though and with brushless you don't need to. So I'd go for a 35mm dia in the 900 to 1500kv range so something like the Overlander 3536/08 1050kv or the 3536/05 1500kv on 3S for more speed - you can always limit the throttle! So that in the River Cruiser would cut the mustard!

I use the Raboesch Maintenance Free prop shafts and the 4mm shaft with 8mm is plenty man enough. Was going to use a 5mm/10mm in my Huntsman 31 but it was way too big and heavy.

I had a 47" Huntsman 31 but found it a bit cumbersome. My Swordsman at 33" is around the biggest I like to go and the Huntress is a nice size, not too small.

Kinda wished I'd built one of my Faireys with twin motors but once production got under way!

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2023, 05:42:17 pm »

Coming on slowly!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2023, 06:02:26 pm »

What a wonderful fleet!  :-))
Regards
Kit

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2023, 06:24:31 pm »

That's Kit. I've done the drawings for two more!

Chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2023, 02:02:43 am »

It's a magnificent view of superb boats beautifully done. :-)) :-)) ]
All of them are generally processed with comparatively high freeboards and wide beams(some)
by which I suppose they must be so seaworthy. :-))
Looking forward to seeing them sailing gracefully on the water in the near future, if possible by video.  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2023, 02:05:28 pm »

Thank you for your kind words Kiyo.

It will be good to get them on video at some point.

Chris

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2023, 05:32:42 pm »

Wow Chris what a lovely fleet you have built - your carpentry is absolutely lovely  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2023, 05:49:46 pm »

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.