Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Chris's Fairey Swordsman 33  (Read 14554 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Chris's Fairey Swordsman 33
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2021, 09:11:24 pm »

:-)  David!

Was going to do one once a bit more progress made but here we go. I should have called the thread something else as there are 3 builds going on!

The downside is that less progress is made rather than doing them one at a time but the upside is that I will have multiple boats to play with, I mean run, namely 5!

Right. I'm working on the Huntress and there was a step backwards. I was never really happy with my first attempt at planking the deck, which was harder than the other two as more bending was required, and having bought the additional ply and planks I set to and did it. It's not perfect, but better (good job I'm not building a Riva!) and will be fine with some strategically placed deck furniture! Once it was glued in place I added the mahogany toe rails and upstand for the superstructure.

I've also made the battery box and made a start on sorting out the steering for the stern-drive. I'm using nylon snakes in a push/pull configuration and they will be longer than shown as the pivot and servo will go in the cabin.

I need to do a bath test to more accurately position the battery before doing more on the steering and whilst I could do this without the superstructure it's better to do it with it and so I've made a start on that. Parts have been drawn up and cut out of birch ply ready for assembly tomorrow.

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2021, 10:01:52 pm »

It's not too late to do a seperate thread on the Huntress Chris.  :-))

Your out-drive version will be unique, but I am sure there are a few more of us that also have a Huntress kit to put together that could contribute and find the thread very interesting.........and helpful.

You will be a very brave man if you attempt to launch all five of your models for the first time on the same day.......... %)

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2021, 10:25:20 pm »

That looks spot on Chris.
The hull looks so clean and crisp and that deck looks great  :-))

You can tell straight away that it's a Fairey, even with the modification of a stern drive.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2021, 11:05:30 pm »

Is this whetting your appetite Will to start yours and build with nice fresh timber!

Bob - I'm loathe to start a new thread as I've already got my detailed build blogs on Model Boats forum from the start of each build. As you know I started this thread to keep your Swordsman company but it's broadened to include my other builds as otherwise there wouldn't be much to say!

I've modified my Huntress quite a lot, not just the stern-drive, but longer cabin and repositioned bulkheads to suit but would be happy to contribute to any other Huntress build threads. Indeed one thought I've already had is (given the construction method) rather than carry out the planking on a separate sub-deck and glue to the deck, is to carry out the planking, even using thicker planks, directly onto the deck, before construction starts. This has the advantage of being able to clamp planks to all parts of the deck and not have to worry about then gluing a sub-deck down. And if all goes wrong it will be easier to remove planks from a substantial deck.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2021, 11:50:36 pm »

Yes it is a bit Chris, but I have so many boats all in need of work, I'm trying to improve and practice my skills(if you can call them that) on the resto/rescue models first before I leap into a full build.

I like that idea regarding the deck Chris, not that I need worry about planking a deck yet, let alone the Huntress one. Definitely something to keep in mind when I do get to that point though.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2021, 10:57:49 am »

Bob - I'm loathe to start a new thread as I've already got my detailed build blogs on Model Boats forum from the start of each build. As you know I started this thread to keep your Swordsman company but it's broadened to include my other builds as otherwise there wouldn't be much to say!

Indeed one thought I've already had is (given the construction method) rather than carry out the planking on a separate sub-deck and glue to the deck, is to carry out the planking, even using thicker planks, directly onto the deck, before construction starts. This has the advantage of being able to clamp planks to all parts of the deck and not have to worry about then gluing a sub-deck down. And if all goes wrong it will be easier to remove planks from a substantial deck.

Chris

Chris - I planked my Swordsman aft cabin top directly onto the plywood skin using reasonably heavy planks (1.5mm I think) and also planked the cockpit using the same strip wood directly onto the 4mm plywood floor.

When I go back to working on the Swordsman again - if I can make the time (and enthusiasm) to plank the deck - it will be directly onto the ply skin decking using the same weight of obechie and mahogany strip wood.

Pictures of my first efforts at planking can be seen on the 1/12 scale Swordsman thread, and any faults or problems that can be seen are not due to the method - only my poor workmanship, dodgy eyesight and/or shaky hands  %)

Enjoy your weekend.

Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2021, 09:37:49 pm »

Hi Bob - it's easy enough doing straight planking it's when you have to bend it sideways that the trouble starts! Using thicker planks you have to steam and pre-bend them before gluing them in position and you can't really clamp them down to the bow area.

That's why I put off planking the decks, the Swordsman in particular (that was the first build I started) until the dry planking method on a ply sub-base came to my notice. It has its shortcomings but I fancied having a go at it.

Bit more done on the Huntress superstructure. Cabin sides/coamings glued to the cabin bulkhead followed by drawing up the roof beam and front window, cutting them from ply and gluing them in place.

It's really looking like a Fairey now!

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2021, 09:44:28 pm »

The answer is Fairey cake  :-))

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2021, 10:15:25 pm »

You said it yourself Chris, really starting to look like a Fairey now.
I'm certainly following with interest and making mental notes (from all of your Fairey builds), ready for when I start building my Huntress and for working on the Huntsman. No doubt I will want to add a Swordsman to the fleet at some point in the future too.

Keep up the good work.

Will

49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2021, 10:52:39 pm »

More like Fairey dust Bob!

I know that you want to get some experience on your refurbs Will but in some ways it's easier to do a new build. The Huntress is pretty simple and as I've said before is a lovely little boat. You could build it as a race boat and just paint the deck.

Not sure if I've asked before but is the Sarik kit a proper kit with laser cut parts or is it just a wood pack?

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2021, 11:07:17 pm »

I get what you're saying Chris. I started on some of the 'projects' first, because it doesn't matter as much if I get things wrong, especially with the state that the Sea Rover and one of the Sea Commander are in. That was my thinking anyway.
To be honest, I possibly would build it as a race boat. I'll have to make that decision when the time comes as to whether to just paint the deck, or plank it. Will see how brave I am feeling at that point.
At least it comes with the plans, so I would be able to build another in the future as a traditional pleasure Huntress and if the first one doesn't get the planked deck, then the second one really should.

The Sarik kit doesn't come with any fittings or anything like that, so basically a laser cut pack with plan and build guide. I think (read HOPE!) it's got a build guide included  :o
I will check tomorrow evening.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2021, 04:43:09 pm »

Just for a bit of fun I've taken a photo of the whole Fairey build fleet! Relative sizes are all wrong, the Swordsman being in the far corner. Huntress in the foreground, now with the cabin roof planked.

Chris

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2021, 05:29:18 pm »

Now that is an impressive sight.  But once they're all finished it'll be a real dilemma which to use on a Sunday morning...

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2021, 06:07:40 pm »

There's another two in the pipeline as well and I've got tp buy all the ESCs etc. yet!

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2021, 06:10:27 pm »

Apparently that is a "troop" of Fairey's!   :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2021, 06:29:15 pm »

Nah! A Fairey Grotto! :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2021, 07:36:33 pm »

Nice one Tony. I thought you were going to say "I rest my case as far as Faireys all look the same!"  :-)

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2021, 07:58:53 pm »

Any excuse to go out and play with the fairies eh Chris?   %)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2021, 09:52:05 pm »

I couldn't possibly comment without being admonished!

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2021, 10:25:22 pm »

I should have called the thread something else as there are 3 builds going on!

Chris

You could have called the thread  Fairey Tales   {-)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2021, 10:57:16 pm »

Very good!  :-)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2021, 11:01:38 pm »

Great work!

don't give up on the planking, every Fairy boat deserves to be planked!! :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2021, 11:43:24 pm »

Thanks Red.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2021, 11:58:57 pm »

Fair play Chris, they all look fantastic.
The planking is clearly well worth all the time and effort[/size][size=78%] [/size]when those sorts of results are possible.

All that's missing from those pictures are a couple of baking ovens and maybe the odd bare hull, then it really could be a scene from the Fairey boat yard.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2021, 01:29:16 am »

Now there's an idea!

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.