Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just another newbie..... with no idea!  (Read 1802 times)

Mr Bumble

• Shipmate
  • Still looking for my sea legs !
Just another newbie..... with no idea!
« on: October 08, 2020, 12:47:36 pm »

Hi everyone, my name's Pete and thanks for letting me on board.
I have to confess that I haven't got clue about what I'm letting myself in for or what I'm doing, as this will be my first BIG model. I was lucky enough to find this site whilst trawling for info; on the net and was amazed at the skill and level of detail that you ladies & gents put in to some of the beautiful boats on the forum.... I can only aspire !
So here's my first dilemma that I need help with.... I want to build a tug and have narrowed it down to 4 possible models.

1) MMM's - Canning
2) MMM's - Brackengarth
3) Mountfleet's - Cruiser
4) Fleetscale's -  Roysterer

I'm really drawn towards the Roysterer but don't know enough about any of them and was hoping you could give me some guidance  {:-{

Thanks in advance, Pete. :-))

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Just another newbie..... with no idea!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 04:47:16 pm »

You could always scratch build a Springer Pusher Tug, all the info and guff is on here in the index.

Len.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 05:47:25 pm »

Depending what type you are after there is also the ASD Harbour tug from Marks Model Bits..

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:17:43 pm »

Hi Mr Bumble /Pete

Welcome to the site

When I started out in this game an old modeler said start with the one that you want to do, as you will have the enthusiasm to finish the model.

My self I would cut my teeth on a kit first, as that way you will have all the parts in one go. you will only have to find the electrics. 

MMM are very good, I have the Lady "T" on my work bench, also you can buy the running kit - fittings kit as and when you need them.

Try the search button for any build logs on the ones you are thinking of getting.

One last thing have fun and ask all the question that you want.

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 06:52:06 pm »

Hello Pete welcome aboard.
Best advice is to join a club and buy a boat to sail to keep the enthusiasm up.  The boats you have mentioned will take time to build and it maybe an idea to see what the finished model boats do on the water. 

It may give you a different perspective especially as far as size (weight) goes.  Also operating a model and the skill needed should happen before the maiden voyage of your new build.  Also with a kit you will probably be left on your own to decide power batteries and radio control, best to know what to do ahead of time.

Not an easy time but at the moment clubs can still meet at the pond side.
All the best
Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 09:51:33 am »

It helps enormously to start with something modest.  That way you learn at low cost.  A small mistake early on can be very expensive later on a large project.  Learning the basics on something smaller and simpler eases the learning curve.  That, and you get something to play with much sooner.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 11:06:46 am »

I haven't seen a reply to the OP about which of the four kits he might choose. However I have to agree with Malcolm F and the other contributors in that starting with a simpler kit can avoid such muddy places as this particular customer has recently found himself in:

"Hi, I need some help please I have had some fellow modellers recommend your products. So here is my dilemma Building the "Fairmont Alpine Tug” going to have 2X Raboesch motors (Brushed Motor Blue RM510 TRQ 7,2v) Want connect 2 esc,s and use a Y connector to the receiver?? Also will have 2X bow thrusters One Raboesch # 4108-04 22/25 mm. and one Raboesch Mini #4108-20 10/12mm, Want to control these separately . Could you please recommend some kind of a set-up for me with product codes."

I believe that he had done the right thing in asking for advice but he has been encouraged by an armchair expert on another forum to believe that such a set-up would be both possible and practical (it's neither). Another unbuilt kit will probably be consigned to the attic and another person lost to the hobby for want of a little thought and research. And please don't let's start debating how you might use two dual-axis sticks to operate the thrusters, the rudder and the main motors.
For Pete, stick to a single-motor model built from a kit and leave any special functions (e.g. lights, thruster, sounds etc) either to fit at a later stage or to your next model. The only tug kits I have any experience with are all Model Slipway and now out of production.

Dave M

Mr Bumble

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 01:42:47 pm »

Hi everyone, thanks for all the replies and advice.

I lived near the Thames as a boy (Gravesend/Dartford) and was hoping to make one of the Sun tugs (Sun XXVI ) but Lesro Models has had a fire and the lady I spoke to didn't know if they would be making anymore. So I looked around and saw the Ironsider (Tyne models), unfortunately no longer produced. Next on the list is the Englishman or Yorkshireman (Model slipway) due to retirement no longer produced...... Mmmmm, bit of a pattern developing here with my choices  >>:-( .

So that is how I arrived at the chosen 4 in the original post. I'm under no illusion that it will take months to complete, in fact the whole idea was to make it over the long winter and spring months, I'm fairly patient and in no hurry and know there's a steep learning curve ahead. It will be some kind of kit form, the whole idea of building from scratch is scary and I wouldn't have clue where to start anyway.

I have thought about joining a local club just to get advise, at the moment I think I'm looking forward more to the building of the tug than to the actual running of it.....

Thanks again for all the advice......  Oh, decisions, decisions  %)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 01:58:44 pm »

The nicest kit tug I've seen in the current age of availability is the Aeronaut Jonny harbour tug.
A quality ready made glass fibre hull and all the parts to build  :-))

Twin brushed motors are plain and simple with the Action Electronics P94 combined ESC mixer unit
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Mr Bumble

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 03:25:15 pm »

Thanks Taranis, I'll take a look and for the info on the electronics....

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 03:31:55 pm »

Hi Pete, welcome to Mayhem, If this is your first model boat go for a reasonably priced kit, a tug is a good choice for a first build,  they are usually robust and stable afloat, it's a good idea to google the name of the model tug you have in mind this usually brings up info about the boat even video's of the finished boat sailing, you can then judge if it's the one you want, a good sauce of model boat kits is  www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk they give a good service and stock most of the kit makers, Hope you find what you want.

Joe.  :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 08:37:22 pm »

Of the 4 tug kits you originally asked about I only have experience of one of them, the Mountfleet Cruiser. This is a good kit although I wouldn't recommend it if you are not an experienced modeller.  i have a build thread on the forum for mine. The kit comes with a good full size plan but the instructions are minimal, many parts of the build left to the modeller to use their experience in deciding how to do things. Also it is a large hull so you will need a good sized building area. The finished model is also heavy and needs quite a lot of ballast when sailing.
As you say this is your first large build I would recommend you go for a simpler kit, others can recommend one as I havn't built many tugs.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Des

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2020, 02:14:23 am »

Hi Pete

Lots of advice here on how / what to choose as a first model.  But don't take the advice as being set in stone - make your own decision based on what YOU want to achieve.  For instance, my very first model was a Model Slipways AZIZ - a kit which many consider to be for advanced modellers.  But I didn't just want it straight out of the box like everyone else;  I wanted something different that required some kit building, and some scratchbuilding.  It took me nearly 5 YEARS to build, but was worth the effort.

One trick to help keep you engaged, and not give up due being overwhelmed by all the work in front of you, is to break the build down into many smaller, manageable bits, and concentrate on doing one bit at a time.  I come from an engineering background, so I created a Gantt chart with literally thousands of small, individual tasks.  And by marking off each task as it is complete I also gained a sense of progress being achieved, even though it may not look like it on the model itself.  (You don't need a Gantt chart if you've never used one - an Excel spreadsheet can achieve the same thing - or even lots of paper sheets in a ring binder.)  Most of all - HAVE FUN.

Des

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 04:13:35 am »

Hi Des a very sensible approach.  It can be frustrating to go to the 'factory', only to watch glue drying.  It does mean being very aware of the total build and then 2 or 3 jobs can be run in parallel. 

I use separate containers frequently ice cream ones, and I have a lot of them (!) , plus a few biscuit tins/containers to separate off different parts of the construction.  Another thing I do is to have a notebook with all my thoughts on construction, additions and put dates on as well.  It means you can put it away if you have to and easily resume at a later date, re-reading your notes to get you quickly back on track.
Regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 04:41:30 am »

Hi, I wonder if you have considered a Tid Tug? 

Sarik do a laser cut wood pack and plan for just £61.00.  The pre-cut wood would give you a symmetry you might otherwise find difficult to achieve.I think there is a build article available and the tug is 31 inches long and will go under your arm. 

Loads of room inside for all the basics.  You could get RC a 540 5 pole motor prop and shaft and coupling <£100 or so then paint and glue, and you will learn a lot along the way.
Very satisfying building from plans.

regards
Roy

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 09:35:41 am »

Hi Pete,
The fleetscale Roysterer is not quite as complicated as it seems.
I have got one and had the jow of working on the Rollicker as an Engineer.
She 8is a big old lump when balasted but not as bad to build with the hull, decks, superstructure and funnels with firefighting top.
She is an expensive kit.
I agerr about the cruiser I hade one og these too, not really a first kit but if taken slowly and use here for advice you can make a very detailed model.
Officially a GOG.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 09:37:49 am »

The Canning and Brackengirth make superb models but do require somec modelling experience.
As suggested why not try a smaller kit and see how you get on.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Mr Bumble

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 10:41:39 am »

Some good sound advice and food for thought from everyone..... including Stan who I had a long chat with on the phone last night, everyone is very helpful, Thank You All.

Does anyone know if anyone else have taken over Model Slipways boats ? If they have, then I might defer my decision for a bit to see if either the Englishman or Yorkshireman make a return.... If not then I guess it's time to make a decision or winter will be come and gone.

As the saying goes...." Watch this space for updates " %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 10:52:40 am »

Hi Pete and welcome to a great hobby that's ageless and that can grab you, take all your time and money and leave you shaking with frustration.POTUS is the only infallible one on the planet so your first build is possibly going to go wrong despite any skill or attention to detail you employ. It still goes wrong for me after 50 years. Even the best kits can have manufacturing defects etc. that you don't notice etc.etc.Going simple to start, as per most advice on here, can give a bit of focus especially on getting the working bits right and looking critically at what you achieve. Do the sides match? How big a motor, for example, because it's a bu**er putting a bigger one in after you've finished the decorative stuff? How big the boat really is in the end because it may not fit on the mantlepiece? They all come into the equation and in the final balance, if it doesn't please you, you can strip out and re-use the useful bits and experience in the next project and stick a club hammer through the rest without counting the cost.
You should enjoy it! :-))

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 01:53:05 pm »

HI Guys having spoken to Mr Bumble it would appear that he is quite confident in building any of the models mentioned on Mayhem. I am sure we wish him well on what ever kit he decides to build. After all the idea of the forum is to help members like Mr Bumble.

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ with help. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 02:24:51 pm »

Totally agreed Stan! I wasn't being negative but I'm sure most of us get caught out, sometimes expensively <:(

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 02:29:38 pm »

Hi Pete and welcome,
I am probably not the best to answer this, I’ve been playing with boats for about 45 years now, but I wouldn’t call myself a model boater.  I’m a bodger to be fair. I started with a Seacommander, an old Aero kits boat, bought complete. I have an interest in that era of boats and wooden hulls. I just don’t build, but what I do is to buy old stuff and regenerate, it’s allot less taxing on the mind and you get quicker results. This suits my mentality and also time and pocket, both factors which need consideration.

I would make the following points,

1-   A boat at 36” looks very small in the middle of the lake, if you can transport it and manage the weigh, further factors for consideration, go for a larger model
2-   I would go look at a couple of clubs, their water and facilities may help you decide the model you need.
3-   Go for something a little more simple on the detail, big hands and tight spaces don’t go and lead to frustration , unless of course you are doing this sort of thing already
4-   Also consider having two models on the go,  it’s  frustrating to have to stop and wait for glue and paint to dry and parts. You would do two in a similar time, or at least do one major build and one more simple, possibly a restoration.  That will increase the skill set and confidence; try it on one before the other etc.

Anyhow, Good luck and all the best 
Mark

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 22 queries.