Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zwarte Zee  (Read 3768 times)

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
Zwarte Zee
« on: April 03, 2020, 09:05:37 am »

WARNING TO THE UNINITIATED
I am getting back to my Zwarte Zee kit from Billings after a few years waiting for other projects to run their course.  Previously I had installed the keel strengthener and three bulkhead frames into the hull.  Recently taking it out of the box again I found that all three frames as well as the keel strengthener had detached from the plastic hull. I was able to simply pull these pieces out of the hull completely.  I had not washed the hull before gluing the parts in. (See the photo attached). 

So the warning is, when the instructions say clean the cast parts (in this case the hull) with warm soapy water, they really mean it and if you don't want your model to disintegrate in the future, DO IT PROPERLY. Luckily for me there is no damage, except to my ego!
Any builds out there I can study? Cheers and happy sailing. Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Zwarte Zee
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 12:05:05 pm »

Hey Brian,

When the instruction say, 'leave glue to set',  they don't mean: "after a few years"!   ok2

M
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 12:42:57 pm »

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 02:14:12 pm »

Yes Martin, I thought someone would comment on that and it is a valid comment. Guilty as charged :-)) ! I am going to make it a bit more continuous this time, perhaps I should say a lot more! I actually bought the kit when I was grappling with Portgarth.  The builds were intended to be in parallel to give me some idea of how to build a model boat and I hoped the kit would give me some clues.  As it turned out that did not materialize and I have now almost completed Portgarth.  Some details still to do (quite a few inspired by Taranis no less!) including the crew. Thanks for the link Andy.  I think that Zwarte Zee is such a nice looking boat and am really looking forward to her build.  Will be a bit more diligent on posting photos on this thread this time (provided the old Corona doesn't dictate otherwise!).  'Bye for now and happy sailing! Brian

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 08:45:26 pm »

I have two queries before I get going again (after the lock down):

I used a two part epoxy for the joint between the wood keel stiffener and the ABS plastic hull. Is this the correct glue to use between these two materials? The wood members came away from the plastic hull and I put it down to not washing the plastic before gluing.  Perhaps it was the wrong glue.  Any help here please?

I am thinking of creating a flat at the bottom of the hull.  To do this I am thinking of using fibreglass resin as a filler. Can one use fibreglass resin on ABS plastic?

Brian

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 09:09:47 pm »

Moved Brian!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 10:39:36 am »

Thank you Martin. :-))

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 10:48:10 am »

As the now lamented Model Slipway are unable to supply the Gry Maritha I was contemplating, I have just ordered a Zwarte Zee as next project. Looks nicely detailed.  Comments from previous builders?
If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 02:20:58 pm »

Hi Manofkent, I was just starting to cut out the wood parts for the various superstructure parts when my wife broke her hip and I had to nurse her after the operation to replace the hip joint as they would not send her to step-down as a precaution against her getting the jolly old virus.  So building of boats was shelved and is still so, as my time is taken up with my daughter and family who are emigrating to the UK.  So, after that long story I can say that it does look like a good kit and no problems yet apart from that described below. I did think I had a problem with the width of the boat as it seemed to narrow going from the quarter deck to under the main cabin, but I think that was an optical illusion.  I am over sizing the motor by using a Speed 600 which is much too big but I want the pulling power. Enjoy. Brian

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 05:08:29 pm »

Sounds like we've had a similar experience. My wife had a hip replacement which left her with flaccid foot drop. Then last August she stumbled indoors and fractured her femur same leg. So boat building keeps me in and ready to answer her call. Ordered kit today, being delivered tomorrow. Can't complain about that.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 05:56:03 pm »

I am always amazed at the promptness of the UK postal service.  Very good. Enjoy the build.  Let us know what progress you make. Brian

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 11:23:55 am »

Further work on ZZ but have got a query. I have a number of item's 46 & 47 some of which I cannot  identify their position.  Any help appreciated.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 01:25:44 pm »

Hi I have a near built one and looked on line at the instructions.  46 seems to be the leaning rail on the bridge and are there 8 of No. 47?  If so they are the various doors.
Roy

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 01:50:09 pm »

These are the parts 46 & 47 in my kit and the page from the manual.  Does that mean anything to you|?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 02:34:08 pm »

Hi your background part of the plans show they all stick together form some sort of consul.  The only one I can see on my model is at the stern.  I took on this model part built and this has has passed me by.  The part description called them doors, very puzzling.

regards
Roy

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 02:41:27 pm »

Agreed, but if you look towards the top of the page "46" is shown there also, but longer. I have more than enough pieces to do those, I just wonder if there should be more assemblies  elsewhere.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 02:49:29 pm »

I have looked in my fittings box ready to go on items and I do not have an item like this only the stern deck units.  I see yours has a plastic hull, my on is a very old all wood kit of slightly smaller scale 1 : 100 I think.  It could be that some things have changed?
regards
Roy

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 03:16:05 pm »

You are correct. I have seen a few pics and build logs on the Web even plastic hull versions and I can see differences to what I have in my kit. Does not help unfortunately 

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 03:27:59 pm »

I can see four pairs and two sets of four on the Facebook group photos. I've tagged you in the post by Marco Zee where the photos are
ANDY

RST

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 11:14:49 pm »

I can't help really but just to say I looked on Billings website before out of interest and those parts are listed on the curent download manuals as as "skylight" fittings as aluded to before.  Not to say things haven't changed since and kit runs get adjusted (some things get lost in translation also) so perhaps if you can post a pic of your parts it might help identify them?

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:03 am »

For those not on Facebook. Pictures from Marco Zee Billings builders group.
ANDY

manofkent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 02:07:52 pm »

Another question for you good ZZ builders.  In the Billings kit are a couple of plastic moulded ladders that appear to be for the 2 upper sections of the masts.  I do not see any fittings, brackets or whatever, for attachment, although the picture on the box seems to show something there.  Can anyone shed light on this please?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.