Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning your model after a sailing day  (Read 2936 times)

Des

• Full Mayhemer
Cleaning your model after a sailing day
« on: October 13, 2020, 12:01:26 am »

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do other modellers clean their boats after a day on the lake?  Especially if that lake is saltwateer?

Des

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Cleaning your model after a sailing day
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 04:32:27 am »

Depends on what type of model.   I.C engines should be run in fresh water to clear all tubing etc of salt and the rest of the model wiped down with fresh water and dried as soon as possible.   If possible clean with alcohol wipes.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 07:06:12 am »

All boats wiped down once home with anti bacterial wipes.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 08:56:21 am »

How those beautifully detailed models with lots of flimsy railings and other detail are cleaned is a source of mystery to me as well.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 10:55:35 am »

I did have a boat with flimsy bits, but the problem solved itself as when I took the boat home and cleaned it...it no longer had flimsy bits  {:-{ {:-{ {:-{
Steamed up all the time

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 11:30:41 am »

I let the grime build up a bit, and call it adding atmosphere. O0

Des

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 11:51:48 am »

This is why I asked the question.  All of my boats have lots of fiddly bits, and I want to keep them.  I'm thinking a very low pressure spray with rainwater, and air dry.  and for the interior - motors, electronics, etc - a generous spray of WD40 or similar water displacer.

Des

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 11:56:34 am »

I would use fresh water as I have found that rain water (over this side of the pond at least) can be corrosive on exposed metal. I had a steel boiler case that got rained on and by the time I had got the boat home there were signs of rust  >>:-(
Steamed up all the time

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2020, 01:48:57 pm »

I manage to clean my "fiddly" bits using an old ,dry shaving brush with the minimum of pressure.

Regards
Terry H

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2020, 01:49:52 pm »

I would use fresh water........................

................. but not out of the tap if you live in a hard water area. It will leave deposits as it dries that are impossible to remove without nasty chemicals

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 04:44:01 pm »

Rain is dilute carbonic acid, nemesis

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2020, 05:08:10 pm »

Indeed sorry forgot that bit nemesis, the drained water from a tumble drier works (you may just have a drier) or go for distilled or de-ionised water

Love the shaving brush idea, I use one of them there big funny make up brushes (no idea how (they) get used but they are really soft and fine haired, I also used to use them for hand painting boats until I had a few lessons from Stavros on spay painting . :-))
Steamed up all the time

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 06:33:10 pm »

I use a plant sprayer bottle filled with slightly washing up liquid filled water, sprayed on the exterior and left to run off and dry naturally. I wouldn't use a liberal application of WD40, you may soon end up with more muck inside than outside! I did suffer from a salt water leak on my recent maiden voyage, but only used light targeted applications of WD40 on electrical connections, Rx, plugs etc, just in case a drop or two got where I didn't want it.
Vaseline in your plug connections is a good preventative for keeping salt water at bay on electrics, I have even filled an Rx with it on a somewhat wetter boat in the past.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 10:15:13 pm »

Our club's sailing water is salt, and our local council provided us with a washing down bench with water laid on. Our hose has a multi pattern nozzle fitted, so various styles of spray can be selected. I always wash down before leaving the lake, and dry the hull off with a chamois.

Peter.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 07:48:00 am »

Hi Peter, you are very lucky, around where I used to sail model boats the council response would simply be to ban sailing models in the sea! 

A couple of years ago when we thought we would again take train rides and a model exhibition to the local Park to entertain the general public on Bank Holiday Monday in August.  The council response was to try and charge us £150 for the privilege! 

We did go but we never paid and I was a bit of a lone voice in the club as well in objecting but I got round it by recruiting a local councillor to our cause.

Best regards Peter we all have our fingers crossed here.
Roy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 10:03:32 pm »

Yes Roy, we are lucky. We are often critical of local councils, sometimes with good reason, but our council has been very helpful to our club. Our lake is, as I said, salt water, having a pipe at each end means that tidal action from the river keep the water fresh, as evidenced by the number of fish in the lake. We applied to the council for some remediation on a low retaining wall, as well as repairs to a small wooden jetty that was becoming dangerous. We were surprised on arrival at our lake one day to find that, not only had the retaining wall been repaired and strengthened, but also the jetty had been removed and replaced by a new concrete launching ramp. It was a pre-cast concrete slab, complete with a non-slip surface, and is absolutely brilliant. The cost to our club? Absolutely nothing. The land around the lake is a public park, so council bears the cost of maintenance, although our club owns a ride on mower, kept in a container in the park, and club members keep the grass mowed around the area we use. A photo of the container is shown.

Peter.

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2020, 12:59:59 am »

How those beautifully detailed models with lots of flimsy railings and other detail are cleaned is a source of mystery to me as well.

A quick once-over with a blowgun and compressor set at about 20psi get most of the dust off.  Sailing in the rain once or twice helps too.  The only things that have ever rusted on me are some plated steel hawse holes and hey, I love the effect!
I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 03:09:26 am »

It certainly pays to get on the right side of your local council.   Look up Surrey Park Model Boat Club.   Their council not only constructed the lake from an old quarry but built them a new club house.  Toilet, BBQ and all!
Plenty of space to clean a model and railings  to separate the public from the launch area.

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2020, 08:05:19 am »

My local council won't give us a puddle deep enough to sail in :-X   That despite the fact that they closed two ponds and have been promising us a new one for 40 years.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.