Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preventing Damp in a shed / workshop  (Read 1167 times)

me3

• Full Mayhemer
Preventing Damp in a shed / workshop
« on: October 13, 2020, 06:50:05 pm »

Hi all,
I have just finished building a 10x6 shed from TigerSheds and have set it up as a workshop. I am concerned about the damp getting in and rusting bits and bobs, how do you guys do it? If you insulate it what method did you go for? Lots of confliciting information online - Thought I'd see how you guys find best from your experience. Thanks in advance.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Preventing Damp in a shed / workshop
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 06:57:58 pm »

pm sent.

Stan.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 07:32:50 pm »

I have recently bought a Meaco DD8L junior desiccant dehumidifier.  Find it brilliant  it chucks out the water by the bucketload until you get down to the % you have set and then just ticks over to keep the shed dry.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 07:41:14 pm »

Normally I just use a couple of the larger desiccant boxes and they seem to keep all OK in an 8x12 shed but I've also put insulation board on all the walls. Over the rainy season I bag the larger boats that SWMBO won't allow in the house and put mini boxes in the bags. Seems to work OK.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 08:24:29 pm »

Hi Me 3 Per conversation check out your local builders merchant for Kingspan insulation. This material is widely used in the building trade and will give good insulation properties. If fitting electrics look at fitting some type of alarm you can line all the walls with 3 mm hardboard after fitting the insulation. I time allows will post some pictures of my sheds.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »

I insulated my workshop then used plasterboarded on the inside, and then....(thanks to a few years caravanning) found the stuff they use to keep damp out of said caravan works really well (sorry can't remember what it called)  :-))
Steamed up all the time

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 02:32:18 pm »

You cannot keep a shed completely moisture free as you expel water vapour as you breathe and also in other ways whilst in there. Also some moisture will inevitably enter by way of the ventilation you need to keep the building oxygenated.

Friends have used extratherm insulation board as well as a foil lined form of bubbewrap for the ceiling to insulate their huge wargames shed and it see to do the trick of keeping the place comfy.

To prevent rust, then keep machine tools lightly oiled and clean, and also your hand tools where appropriate can be rubbed with an oiled cloth and rubbed off again to remove the majority of the oily residue if you are worried about excessive moisture.

Pond weed is your enemy

chipmonk

• Full Mayhemer
  • while you are here, can you just!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 03:58:41 pm »

Hi there here is how I do it. my sheds are fitted with 100mm rockwool insulation on all walls and ceiling. then over this is heavy weight polythene sheeting, again covering all walls and ceiling plus the floor . Overlapping all joints by at least 100mm (to form a vapour barrier) then clad with 9mm osb sheeting (I'm too tight to use ply) with 18mm sheeting for the floor. I do not need any dehumidifiers and the lathe and milling machine are quite happy without any anti rust prep, with low level electric heating (do not use any type of gas as they release large amounts of water vapour).
Cheers Chris M

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 05:20:02 pm »

Hi All,
When I built my log cabin workshop 20 x 12 I insulated the floor and roof, but as it faces south it got rather hot when the sun shone, so I have now installed a split air conditioning unit which cools in the summer and heats in the winter and has a built in dehumidifier as well, money well spent its excellent.

Regards
Destroyer42

me3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 09:19:54 pm »

Hi all, Thank you all for the advice, gives me something to think about!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.