Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Big, Bargain One  (Read 2856 times)

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
A Big, Bargain One
« on: October 18, 2020, 03:56:57 pm »

Just been lucky enough to purchase and collect a Deans Fairmile Dog Boat via E bay.... "Buy it Now" at less than half manufacturers price but going through everything  in the pack I can see why this kit is originally expensive as all parts, drawings , instructions etc  look superb :-))

The kit is untouched and also includes recommended  Deans Falcon motors, speed controllers and various running gear ( Apparently two motors should give excellent planing ,scale speed as I'm not after burning up the lake.) but I'll probably set it up for four.
The hull is a massive 5 ft long by 10 inches beam with a relatively light ballasted weight of around 5 and a half kilos, so fairly manageable.
1/24 th scale so no real fiddly bits to break whilst under construction or to damage at the pond side.
Never built a Deans kit before but really looking forward to getting stuck in on this one during the dark winter days. :-))

Regards

Terry H

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A Big, Bargain One
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:20:44 pm »

You have definitely got a bargain there, and Rons kits go together well, should you have any problems (which I doubt) give Ron a call as he will be more than happy to help  :-))
Steamed up all the time

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 03:28:49 pm »

A couple of pictures showing progress.... the parts are just balanced in their approximate positions. I've also finished many of the smaller fixtures and fittings.
I've found that quite a few of the resin parts had blowholes and finer parts were very brittle and easily chipped in places so decided to enjoy reworking them where necessary with small amounts of filler and appropriately sized styrene etc. The laser cut parts were easy to assemble and excess plastic came in very handy.
There has been a bit of head scratching but in the most part the kit has gone together quite  well so far with a little bit of modelers  licence. There's very little reference information on these boats apart from , perhaps, a volume  in the Anatomy of Ships series at an extortionate price on Amazon.The Deans CD has helped but the pictures were of what I believe to be the iprototype project and there are minor differences in the final kit..... Nothing to worry about though ; a most enjoyable build but a bit nippy in the shed !

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 03:33:59 pm »

For further reading I suggest getting a copy of Allied Coastal Forces of World War Two Volume 1 by John Lambert. This has even more photos of the real boats and a lot of history to go with it. Well worth the read.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 03:17:52 pm »

A couple of pictures showing the central superstructure after a bit of painting. Turned out OK after having to rework and fill many of the fittings before location.
The MTB experts among you may note that mid section looks to be a bit busy and on reference to the build instructions, GA drawing and build CD there is a discrepancy in the position of the two large ventilators . The build manual and CD show them in the position I have fixed them and the GA drawing shows them on the main deck to the rear of the gun.  Reference to builds on the internet also have them in various positions or not on the model at all so there appears to be a bit of modelers licence not only from the manufactures info but also from other builds. Mine are stuck so I'm not going to attempt to move them anywhere else.
On with painting up and fitting the hull and some further touching up and detailing.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 05:58:33 pm »

The Anatomy of the ship for the D boats show these cowl vents in the position you have them fitted. There are another pair fitted behind the gun each outboard off the ammunition lockers.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 06:04:36 pm »

Thanks Jim... I have two more to go in the second position you mention

Regards

Terry H

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 10:08:47 pm »

Hello All

The "Big Dog" is finished and ready for ballasting and water trials once Lockup is eased... pondering on what to do next !

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 06:59:32 am »

Great job well done mate tassie48

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 09:17:59 am »

Thanks tassie48...... some of the detail parts required substantial reworking and the discrepancies between the drawing , CD build guide and references to the real boat  needed a bit of modelers licence but all in all an enjoyable build.... but it does take up a fair bit of room in the shed !

Regards
Terry H

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 07:06:48 am »

Hi Terry a nice build.
Have attached a photo of my Deans build.
Built some years ago had to replace 90% of fittings.
Gentleman in photo served on Fairmile D LRRC.

Graham

gra2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 07:07:31 am »

Sorry wrong photo.

Graham

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 09:52:35 am »

It might be the wrong photo but it's a good looking boat !

Regards
Terry H
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 21 queries.