Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale  (Read 125633 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Mark's "Le Rochefort" Build 1/24 Scale
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2024, 08:49:51 am »

Hi Mark. Its amazing the detail you have put into this beautiful model , hopefully she will take centre of pride in a Museum when finished,  O0 cheers Brian.
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2024, 03:51:35 pm »

Thanks Brian  :-))   This is going to sit on a shelf in my workshop  :-)

I've started working out the planking for the starboard side only.  First is the garboard plank which is the first plank off of the keel.  It's not flat in profile it is curved which presented a challenge but it went ok.

Next was the long job of lining out the planking - Now I know that not everyone does this but I always think that if I can draw it I can make it.  I wanted the planking to be representative of the drawings so I spent the best part of 3 days doing this.  I now know where every plank will go and its size.  I have one stealer plank at the stern which is straight off of the garboard plank and one drop plank towards the bow.

So now its time to cut some planks which vary in thickness and get on with the job at hand

Cheers Mark

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2024, 07:54:45 am »

Wow, so far that is the best planking I have ever seen on a model. Your skill is amazing... :-)) :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2024, 05:01:05 pm »

Wow, so far that is the best planking I have ever seen on a model. Your skill is amazing... :-)) :-))

Hi mate  - I really hope that the wood looks as good as the tape  {-)   If it does I'm onto a winner!!

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2024, 08:59:05 pm »

Don't worry Mark, we have faith in you  :-)) beautiful work....
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #505 on: March 29, 2024, 11:51:34 am »

Thanks for the votes of encouragement - I am starting to make some progress but it's very slow.  I am having difficulties getting the planks to bend around the stern and into the rabbet tightly.  The planks are 3.2mm thick and 10mm wide and I have been experimenting how to do this so that it looks good.  I've split more planks in this area than I can remember  {-)

I think I've finally got a solution now and hopefully have some more pictures up soon.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #506 on: March 29, 2024, 08:34:25 pm »

Hi Mark, I presume you have tried steaming ,well more like boiling the plank ,the only draw back with that method could be discoloration of the plank ????,cheers  :-))
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #507 on: March 29, 2024, 09:20:18 pm »

Hi Brian - yes mate I've tried steaming, boiling, microwaving, hot air and also raising the moisture content by soaking for 24 hours.  The bend where the planks wrap around the transom up to the wing transom is extremely tight and also compounds at the same time.  So the only way I could find of making the wood do this was to laminate the plank into two thinner strips.  This then brings on the additional problem of making them exactly the same when actually the precise shape isn't known until they fit.  I'm on a bit of a learning curve but it's getting better and easier by the day  :-)) :-)) .  Its testing but fun too!

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2024, 01:33:17 am »

Hi Mark, sounds like you are on the right track there, have had to laminate the ribs in 2 pieces at times in the hollow heal when they have had a sharp curve ( and still steam) a friend of mine will use up to 5 lamination's on the ribs at times to skirt around the steaming of them. cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.