Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's scratch Puffer  (Read 74820 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joe's scratch Puffer
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2020, 03:37:21 pm »

I had planned on getting the hull primed but the weather has not been that good for spraying, I like to spray paint in the garden it makes so much mess in the garage, no matter there's plenty of other bits to get on with so I started the hold cover that will obviously be removeable for access the plan is to have it covered with a tarpaulin, then the foc'sle companion way popped in my head and I went off in a bit of a tangent and made it while I was thinking of it, after talking to a friend who has first hand knowledge of the Clyde Puffers I've decided not to plank the aft deck instead it will be painted with a suitable deck paint that I'll decide later.

Joe.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2020, 03:45:35 pm »

Hi Joe
Great to see you back at it!
I really like that colour green on the companionway, it looks brilliant. What colour will the deck be? I’m no expert on the puffers but do like the look of them.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2020, 04:31:17 pm »

Joe ,
You could make the LOO next.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2020, 03:06:33 pm »

Yeah I planned on making one of those but mine will be on the foc'sle port side.

Joe.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:14 pm »

hi joe
the build is coming long real fast.  :-))  its probably just my ignorance but, i notice you have waterproofed the inside or the outside of the hull what do you plan on using to make it water tight..

Trucker

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2020, 06:33:24 pm »

Hi Trucker the interior has been coated thoughout with Aliphatic resin that is water proof once cured, the outside will get several coats of primer and a finishing paint for the amount I sail that will be fine.

Joe.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2020, 06:39:54 pm »

ah i see  :-))  top job, i think i was expecting you to drape a sheeting of fiber glass cloth over it

Trucker

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2020, 04:01:01 pm »

A bit more done to the hold cover after this is painted I'll attempt to make a fitted tarp cover that will be tied down to the support webs that's the plan anyway, Just started to make the Thunderbox that will be sited on the foc'sle port side,  I won't be attempting to weather or age the Puffer when she's finished for two reasons 1 I'm not very good at it and would most likely botch it up and 2 refer to number 1, instead she'll be representing a Puffer just out of preservation a bit like Auld Reekie next year.

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2020, 04:30:46 pm »

Lovely clean building there Joe - well until you make the thunder box  {-)   Great work mate  :-))

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2020, 06:31:54 pm »

Very nice work. Don't worry about weathering, I prefer to see a boat as it was when new than with unrealistic looking weathering.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2020, 04:25:00 pm »

Sorry Joe, I'm a bit late to the party but couldn't resist having a good read of your progress so far.

I appreciate people being modest, but in your case, it was unecessary as we know of old the skills and experience you have from the yacht build at least! I saw the tube in the background of one photo (I think we are all a bit nosey!) and thought; 'that's the funnel waiting it's turn for processing'.

With regard to weathering, the art is to make sure the basis is sound, so most modellers seal the initial paintwork with gloss varnish giving a hard surface to work on, and also (If you use a chemical/thinner proof varnish) you can strip any weathering off that you don't like. Also, like with your rudder experiments, using old models. or painting up a bit of ply the way you would your hull, and then testing weathering materials/techniques on that means that until you are happy, your vessel remains in tip top condition.

But, at the end of the day, it's your model Joe, and with or without poo streaks down the gunnals, it will be a superb model.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2020, 03:05:17 pm »

Thanks as always for your interest guys,, The weather this morning was reasonable for spraying in the garden so I got the first primmer coat on the hull and hold cover. while waiting for it to dry I made the hold cover Tarp and painted the hold cover and Thunderbox, fitting the Tarp was a bit tricky but I'm quite pleased with the outcome, Priming the hull was always going to show up any slight gaps/ holes etc. but I was relieved to see there was less that I had thought, next a good rub down and then some coats of "Red Oxide" well Halfords red primer anyway, the rest of the boat will be brush painted as I'm not looking for a pristine finish, these vessels were rough and ready and probably their crews were likewise.

Joe.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2020, 06:00:39 pm »

Looks like you're quite handy with a sewing machine Joe - or did you sub-contract the hold cover?  Looks very neat either way!

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:26 pm »

Fantastic work and very inspiring too.
A puffer is a model (amongst many others) that I would like to build one day.  I have a set of plans, now all I need is some timber and the time.

Bookmarked and following with great interest  :-))

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2020, 10:11:56 pm »

Thanks guys,    Greg believe it or not I probably use the sawing machine more than the wife, the cover is mk2 I mucked the first one up by trying to sew end panels in then realised it wasn't really necessary, simple solutions are usually best.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2020, 02:49:01 pm »

Over the last few years I've built up a collection of molds and castings of fittings I've made in various scales, If I ever mixed up too much resin for the items I was molding I would use it up by filling previous molds rather than just dumping it so over time this has resulted in a collection of castings some of which can be used for different scales, a fairlead for instance can be a large fairlead on a small scale or a small fairlead on a large scale, in the case of the puffer I think I can get away with the fairleads they don't look too far off scale, but the two sizes of bollards I had weren't suitable so I had a rummage though my spares box and found an old plastic bollard that was just right I've no idea where it came from, so I took a mold off of it and now have the puffers bollards, The hull is now rubbed down and ready for the "Red Oxide" coating I've installed the rudder at this stage as this can be primed at the same time just need some reasonable weather now.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2020, 01:20:28 pm »

Before I go too far with the deck/hull painting I wanted to satisfy myself that the chain steering would work ok, so I did a pre fit to test it, the roller guides were made by a friend who has a lathe and the skill to use it, I would probably have made something in plastic that may or may not have worked but these brass ones are far superior to that, so after a very fiddly couple of hours I had it working I tried two sizes of chain but the smaller chain worked the smoothest, I'm happy that the rudder setup works satisfactorily now I can carry on with the second priming well when the weather allows that is.

Joe.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2020, 01:37:56 pm »

:o   Joe's building this thing faster than I can read the posts!   {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2020, 04:48:39 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2020, 06:58:28 pm »

Wow that rudder system is amazing I really like things like that  - simple but effective.  Your mate must be good with a lathe  O0

RST

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2020, 07:23:24 pm »

The cludgie is a nice detail. I've been admiring your steering chain. Trying to do this myself last few weeks, my chain is a bit too weak (parts too easy), I can't lay my hands on a couple of little extension springs either -were they raided from something?

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2020, 07:49:21 pm »

That chain steering is awesome, loving all the details you're putting into this.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2020, 08:52:19 pm »

Thanks,    RST the chain is from Caldercraft quite strong for it's size, I bought a box of assorted springs a couple of years ago and I used one I thought would be the right tension and made two smaller springs out it, it was quite a good buy from e-bay 300 various springs for £7 they've been useful on several occasions.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2020, 06:48:25 pm »

Carrying on with some sub assembly's till I can get a few more coats of primer on the hull, so I did the planking on the foc'sle deck and the crews skylight this assembly will be glued in place after painting the main deck and bulwarks, just about to start the engine room that will also house the smoke generator, as you need to access the top of the generator to refill, the plan is to have the wheelhouse removable as the fan will be under the wheelhouse floor and it can be filled though the fan, I think this is a better idea than having to remove the generator every time or trying to refill though the funnel.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2020, 03:46:50 pm »

Once I got the engine/boiler room shell put together, remembering to drill the holes for the portholes before assembly, I started to fit the smoke generator, but then thought better of if, it's not that heavy but it dose weigh 220 grams so it would be better as low as possible previously I had thought of fitting it just forward of the steering servo but it covered the shaft greaser, then I realized it didn't have to be fixed it could just sit on a couple of bearers and the copper extension would hold it in place when passed though the roof into the funnel so that was the job for today.

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.