Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's scratch Puffer  (Read 74103 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Joe's scratch Puffer
« on: October 19, 2020, 04:50:36 pm »

I thought I'd move the build log here the under correct group, I put a copy of the Puffer drawings I posted in Bella's build log [ https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65481.msg702929.html#msg702929 ] as a reminder of what I'm attempting to scratch build, a bundle of wood is due tomorrow from Slec and I've made a start by cutting out the keel from the one sheet of ply I had that was large enough and found a board in the garage just right for the build slip, I'm known for building quite fast but I think this one will take some time as I'm just feeling my way with the hull shape and cladding, all good fun though.  :-))

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joe's scratch Puffer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 04:56:11 pm »

This will be a good one - good luck with the build Joe  :-))

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 06:03:57 pm »

Oh good, here we go!  O0 O0
Greg

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 07:09:58 pm »

Will be watching Joe  :-))
Steamed up all the time

RST

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 07:13:39 pm »

The VIC 27 restoration website has some cracking photos of her out the water in Crinan, with VIC32 on the slip behind her also at one point. Good source of photos / inspiration if you didn't find it already.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 10:50:17 pm »

Thanks for your interest guys, Auld Reekie was in a bit of a state but it's great to see these old vessels and steam locos being restored for the future I hope they leave the dents in her hull, gives her character.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 04:45:21 pm »

Just an update today, I've been working on marking and cutting out the frames, I'm going to profile the edges as much as I can before final assembly and finish the profiling once it's glued together, I've also cut out most of the notches for the stringers on each frame, I just hope I've got them all in the right places.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2020, 06:57:38 pm »

This is the first dry assembly trial, so far so good, I'm holding off spending 70 odd quid for the running gear till I'm more confident with completing the hull, I've no problem with the superstructure not much different to a Springer really, but I'm quite happy with it so far.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 04:28:50 pm »

Took the plunge and glued the hull framing together and fitted some of the stringers etc. tomorrow I'll fit the curved stringer pieces at the bow and stern.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 04:45:40 pm »

A few more pieces added to the framework, Whilst I always enjoy building boats of any kind this hull is taking me just out of my comfort zone which is not a bad thing, it kind of makes it even more enjoyable.

Joe

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:48:52 pm »

Looking good Joe!    :-))

I only got this far with my scratch build attempt......

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 06:20:54 pm »

Just a little paint and a few fittings Martin and it will be ready for next years Mayhem (No 19 willing)  :-))

Steamed up all the time

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 06:35:00 pm »

Thanks Martin,    couldn't you skim and fair with body filler, I doubt I'll get away with mine without some of the lovely stuff,   modellers licence init.  %%

Joe

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 10:36:34 pm »

Long admired your work Joe particularly your warships. I've done quite a bit of scratch building in wood. So to spur you on here are a few shots of one I made earlier  :-))
Don't Assume Check

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2020, 10:12:21 am »

Thank you Dougal, Now that's impressive work mate and a tough act to follow, but I'll be doing my best.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2020, 02:23:42 pm »

Before I got too carried away with the hull I started thinking about the rudder setup, as the rudder stock is outside the hull a sideways mounted tiller wasn't going to work, so the tiller would have to be along the center line, a long tiller would require a lot of through so would need an elongated servo arm, after some thought I settled on a micro servo in the tiller flat to keep the tiller short, so to get it clear in my old brain I did a mockup of the tiller flat to work out the geometry after a bit of trail and error I found the siting for the servo that give me the optimum 45 degree throughs, I then cut out the servo mount hole as it's easier to get at now, later I'll cut away most of the top stern former to give access to the rudder gear, I should have done this before assembly but hey this boats all trail and error %% .

Joe.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2020, 07:32:18 pm »

This is the rudder setup on my small Slipway puffer.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2020, 08:58:39 pm »

I plan on having the tiller concealed inside the hull it will pass though a slot in the transom, I know the Puffers had a chain linkage from the wheelhouse but I not going that far. %%

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2020, 02:31:11 pm »

The cladding has gone quite well so far so I'm feeling a lot more confident about completing the hull, I'm taking a card template of each section and assessing the best direction for the grain to make the curves, where I can't use a clamp I use a strut off the ceiling or a couple of pins, once the cladding is done the larger panels will have some more stiffening fillets on the inside.

Joe

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 10:09:47 pm »

I plan on having the tiller concealed inside the hull it will pass though a slot in the transom, I know the Puffers had a chain linkage from the wheelhouse but I not going that far. %%

Joe.

Hi Joe ,
Some years ago I scratch built a near scale Puffer " SKYLIGHT " which had a steam plant installed, like you I puzzled over how to make the steering rudder near scale and hidden, the model was built at 1/2" to 1 foot giving a 33" model.
At the time SKYLIGHT  was lying rotting away in Watt dry dock in Greenock, fortunately the stern was still visible and the steering chains gave me the idea to simulate the working of the rudder, like the original in first pic.

I made the tiller by fixing 2- bosses to the stern with holes in to take 3/32" brass rod with the rudder fixed to it, the tiller arm was operated by brass chain sliding in 5/32" copper tube and ran the chain around small pulley wheels as the original and attached to a servo below deck, hidden when the top boiler house and wheel house was fitted this worked very well and I think one of the Mini type servos would work well on your model, so just an idea if it would work for you.

Final resting place for SKYLIGHT  before being Brocken up, note the angle that the Puffer is lying at, contrary to belief the hull on Puffers was not flat but had a 4 deg slope from the keel to the outside of the boat on both sides.

Hope this is of some help and interest to you.

George.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 10:57:37 pm »

Thanks for the information George, although I have kind of sorted out the rudder control I'm keeping an open mind till I get to that stage, the good thing about scratch building ids being able to adapt as you build, great model by the way.

Joe 

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 04:53:31 pm »

The hard part is done now, well hard for me at any rate, the lofting lugs need to be cut off next, and the bulwarks will be fitted after the decks, very happy with how it's going now not quite as shapely as a GRP hull but once a couple of strakes are added and the hull painted oxide and black she may pass muster, need to make a cradle now the slip is finished with then I can add the internal stiffeners to the mid section.

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2020, 07:31:29 pm »

Looks great Joe you have done a lovely job on the hull  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2020, 04:58:34 pm »

Thanks Mark,    Trimmed off the lofting lugs and fitted the stiffeners to the mid section then gave the whole interior a coat of sealer, It feels strong and light, just ordered all the running gear now the main part of the hull is done, the rest of the build I'm quite confident about as it's similar to things I've done before, while researching the puffers I hadn't realized that so many were build and how they differed although they were all recognized as Puffers/Vics so it gives me a bit of license to do a bit of my own thing, really enjoying this one.

Joe.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2020, 11:08:35 am »

Looking good Joe - how long is she?  She looks 28-30".  Have you considered ballasting, as a stout hull like that might need a bit of weight to get down to her marks.  Don't want to do yourself a mischief trying to lift her in and out!

Greg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.78 seconds with 22 queries.