Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Joe's scratch Puffer  (Read 74080 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joe's scratch Puffer
« Reply #150 on: February 04, 2021, 12:45:59 pm »

Hi Ian, yes I have a couple of joysticks with feed back and very good they are too, It wouldn't surprise me if Rc systems get feed back eventually after all some already have battery level info from the model, what I meant by Feel the weight is she takes a few seconds to get moving when the throttle is opened and takes a while to come to a stop when the motor is shut down, quite realistic really.

Hi George,  yeah I think you are right, I prefer to see them laden anyway, just found a half kilo lump of lead pipe in the garage and hammered it flat I'll use this to lower the bow nearer the water line which lets face it is a guess anyway but it seems to look ok, as the bow is lowered the stern comes up a bit so it will need more ballast there also, I've said it before it always amazes me the buoyancy of these small model boats.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: February 04, 2021, 03:04:17 pm »

Update on the ballasting, I've added another 460g under the foc-sle and another 120g to the stern, this puts the bow still slightly up but 52 mm under the surface, looks like at least May or June before she can go on trials but she's been great fun to build.

Can't think of anything to build next but I expect something will come to mind, in the mean time I've been busy with one of my other pastimes paint by numbers I've done a few now and was given another three at Christmas of which one is finished, if it's of any interest here's a photo of it.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: February 09, 2021, 04:39:21 pm »

I don't normally fit sound to my boats mainly because they are usually some distance when sailing them so you wouldn't hear them or you would have to have them so loud it wouldn't be realistic, having said that I happened to see a unit at the Component shop at a reasonable price and represented a single cylinder steam engine, just needed a speaker and be plugged into the Rx and the ESC plugged into the unit, it's powered by the BEC, ok it's simulated sound but not too bad, gives a chuff that increases with the throttle, I used two speakers from an old laptop fitted each side of the boiler house and cut out a grille each side so not to muffle the sound too much, I think it's just loud enough for the size of the Puffer not brilliant but adds a little more interest. I'm quite chuffed with it  %)  sorry about that folks  {-)

Joe

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: February 09, 2021, 05:55:36 pm »

hi Joe,
One thing about your sound system, model steam plants don't make the sound off a Puffer.

Your sound should be Chuffed -Chuffed.

George.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2021, 06:18:48 pm »

Yeah that's just what it dose George,  chuff chuff chuff that matches the throttle setting nothing else,  would have been nice with a whistle but it wasn't expensive just a bit of fun really.

Joe.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2021, 11:54:10 am »

This vintage of Puffers would not have chuffed. Although the term 'Puffer' was used right up to last days of their service (when they were diesel-powered coasters), only the original single-cylinder steam-engine powered vessels that exhausted to atmosphere would actually make a sound similar to a locomotive. By the time this class was introduced, they were fitted with two-cylinder compound engines exhausting to a condenser.  Thus, externally, little sound would have been heard.  Listen to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugtq1oshqDQ and then imagine how much of that sound have penetrated the hull?
BM

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2021, 06:12:50 pm »

It's like I said    "Just a bit of fun really"

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2021, 01:52:13 pm »

I spent a pleasant hour down the lakes this morning for my Puffers trials although it was a beautiful day we had the cross winds and surface chop often associated with Walpole Park, no matter she handled the conditions very well, speed at full throttle was ample for a Puffer and a comfortable cruise at half throttle, the chain steering performed as it should and gave a nice tight turn at hard over, now the cons. the smoke gen dose draw a lot from the battery and after a little over 10 minutes I could hear a change in the motor when switching the smoke gen on and of, even so she was still running after half an hour but I brought her in while she still had power, one good thing she was dry inside,I did have my trusty old Springer Gopha Girl in the car just for peace of mind, I'd like to get a bit more run time so as the Pb battery is only 1.2 Ah I'll see if I can fit my spare 3s lipo as a first step,  I tried it on the bench and it seemed fine with no discernable change in the motor when the smoke gen is used and the lipo is 5000 mAh so should give me at least twice the run time, the only thing I have against lipo's is I tend to go for a sail on an adhoc basis and with the lipo being in storage charge you have to remember to charge them the night before or early in the morning, I suppose I could get a 12 volt nimh battery of the same capacity, I see how the lipo performs first,  Only got one photo the sun had darkened my specs and the phone screen looked black so I guess I was lucky to get one she was about 30 feet from the side so I've cropped it.

Joe

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2021, 06:22:39 pm »

lovely boat joe...  wonderful job

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2021, 06:33:01 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Greg

CarlC

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2021, 08:32:59 pm »

What a lovely boat, superb.

davejo90

« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2021, 10:25:52 pm »

Great work Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2021, 10:50:29 pm »

Thanks for your comments guys, always appreciated

Joe.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2021, 12:56:38 am »

Hi Joe,
 Great work. I have a 1/48 scale puffer hull I am starting to build. From what I can see from your construction & photos of other’s builds it appears the deck has no camber. Am I mistaken?

Tx,
 Bill

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2021, 02:44:08 am »

Love it Joe!

.... we need a video ....  <*<
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2021, 09:59:53 am »

Hi Bill  The main deck has a bit of camber on it about 3mm so if she gets any water on the deck it will run out the freeing ports, The raised aft deck has a very slight camber forward but tapers to nil at the stern hope this helps.

Hi Martin,  The weather here has not been good enough for sailing for some time now, so I'm patiently waiting for some ideal conditions for her second sail with the 3s lipo in place of the small 12 volt PB battery and hope to get a video of that.

Joe. 

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2021, 08:06:06 pm »

Thanks Joe.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: October 24, 2021, 08:52:52 pm »

Another question Joe.
What is the purpose of the cylindrical tank on the engine room roof and the square one on the aft bulkhead of the wheelhouse?
We’re having a lively speculative discussion on this side of the pond.

Bill

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2021, 09:54:02 pm »

The tank on the roof is for water and if you mean the red box on the aft of the wheelhouse it's a fuse box type thing, both using a bit of modelers licence to add interest.

Joe

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2021, 10:36:28 pm »

Thanks Joe. You have provided another explanation to our debate.

RST

« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2021, 05:50:01 am »

Your puffers look great!  Hoping to join the fray of those of us who didn't build from a kit so far.
Rich

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2021, 11:26:43 am »

Thanks Rich,  coming from an accomplished modeller as your self I'll take that as a compliment.

Joe.

Ian-C

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2023, 05:44:53 pm »

Excellent project,I love the outcome.  The boat looks perfect.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2024, 03:46:32 pm »

Excellent project,I love the outcome.  The boat looks perfect.

Hi Ian-C   Thanks for your comment and your interest.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2024, 08:50:38 pm »

Hi Joe! I am so pleased to see you are about, and I hope hale and hearty  :-))  How are the model railways going? I recall you were dabbling with them when we last conflabbed. Happy new year to you and yours!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.