Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Single stick  (Read 1863 times)

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
Single stick
« on: October 22, 2020, 06:14:54 pm »

Hi Guys
Some years ago I had a Futaba F14 with Twin sticks, is it possible to run twin motors individually with a single stick radio?

Cheers
Jack

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Single stick
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 08:44:09 pm »

If you mean single stick as in two ESC's controlled from one stick, yes - by using a Y lead from Rx to each ESC.

If you mean on a standard 4 channel+ radio with two sticks then one ESC on the vertical axis channel on each stick...

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 09:22:07 pm »

If you mean single stick as in two ESC's controlled from one stick, yes - by using a Y lead from Rx to each ESC.

If you mean on a standard 4 channel+ radio with two sticks then one ESC on the vertical axis channel on each stick...

Hello
in yours first example connected from one channel with a Y lead I can't get how controlling each motor individually even with 2 esc since the source is one channel, ex run one in one direction and the other in opposite direction.

Second I understand more after disconnect the spring centering the left stick.

Cheers
Jack

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 09:34:37 pm »

Depending on how ‘independent' you want them, single stick and two ESC’s obviously won’t work.
What about using a mixer unit where the throttles and  rudder are linked so in turns one motor is slowed.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 12:45:26 pm »

What transmitter are you using?

Some radios will do the mixing for you, allowing the 2 motors/ESCs to run at different speeds (or even in different directions) as you move the rudder stick (or the left stick left/right if you prefer).
Some transmitters need an external mixing device to do the same.

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 10:05:39 pm »

What transmitter are you using?

Some radios will do the mixing for you, allowing the 2 motors/ESCs to run at different speeds (or even in different directions) as you move the rudder stick (or the left stick left/right if you prefer).
Some transmitters need an external mixing device to do the same.

For the moment I have a Turnigy tgy10 that I planned to use, thats basically the radio I use when flying planes so the mixes are there I suppose.
Cheers
Jack

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 09:59:17 am »

As long as the mixes can be individually programmed, rather than just pre-defined aero or heli mixes, it should be possible.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 03:50:10 pm »

I always prefer to do these things in hardware using a V-tail or elevon mixer and some servo Y-leads so any transmitter can be substituted in if things fail at the lake.   

The throttle is connected to the elevator input and the rudder is connected to the Aileron input.      You'll need two speed controllers but you MUST pull the red wire out of one of the plugs (use the end of a scalpel or tiny screwdriver to push the little retaining tang in on the plug and tape it back along the lead.      The red wire is the power supply (BEC) to the servos and receiver and if both red wires were connected, the two power supplies would 'fight' each other and damage / blow themselves up!)   You only need one to power everything.

Experiment which motor goes the right way for you as you move the throttle & rudder to sort out left & right and forwards & backwards.As you push forwards, both motors will work together.       As you turn the rudder, one will speed up and the other will slow down as the rudder moves - you want the slowing motor on the inside of the turn.

It can all be done on one stick as long as you select the appropriate channels on your receiver.   A little trial and error solves everything.

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 03:59:54 pm »

I'm the other way around - I prefer to do it on the transmitter. Several advantages for me:

It's free - I've already paid for the transmitter
It's very flexible - I can alter the percentages of the mix, even switch them off using "dual rates"
No extra hardware, so less things to fail.
I can copy the setup to another model memory, and tweak it to suit a different boat.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 04:45:54 pm »

I'm the other way around - I prefer to do it on the transmitter. Several advantages for me:

It's free - I've already paid for the transmitter
It's very flexible - I can alter the percentages of the mix, even switch them off using "dual rates"
No extra hardware, so less things to fail.
I can copy the setup to another model memory, and tweak it to suit a different boat.
I hear what you're saying but I've seen many boater give up and go home when their computer transmitter just won't behave so none of their boats can be used.       My solution is quick to fault-find - just plug & play.   And percentage settings seem to be over-the-top - sticks don't have to hit the end stops.   {-)

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 05:14:18 pm »

I hear what you're saying but I've seen many boater give up and go home when their computer transmitter just won't behave so none of their boats can be used.       My solution is quick to fault-find - just plug & play.   And percentage settings seem to be over-the-top - sticks don't have to hit the end stops.   {-)

A fair point, although I've not witnessed that, as I don't think many at my club use computer radios to do anything "fancy", apart from one or two who also fly planes.
I've only ever used Futaba kit for planes or boats, and it has always worked perfectly.

I guess it depends on what one is used to and comfortable with

What I meant by "percentage settings" was the amount of positive or negative throttle added by using the rudder. A large amount of "outside motor" can be very useful at low speed, but might be disastrous at high speed.

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 07:05:42 pm »

Thanks guys
My point was if to buy a new " boat Radio" or go with the one I have since I also have a lot of receivers to it, glad to hear it can be done without spend new money in something I already have.

Cheers
Jack

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 07:31:34 pm »

Only problem you might have sharing your plane radio with boats is the throttle.
Planes normally use a ratchet throttle, with "off" right at the bottom, while boats normally use a centre-sprung throttle so that you can go backwards.

JaS

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 08:15:36 pm »

Only problem you might have sharing your plane radio with boats is the throttle.
Planes normally use a ratchet throttle, with "off" right at the bottom, while boats normally use a centre-sprung throttle so that you can go backwards.

I have optional mode select on my radio, select mode 1 will put the the throttle on the left stick with center position in the middle but in worst case if don't get to work maybe investing in this one, seem like a fair price

[size=78%]https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Carson-500501004-Reflex-Stick-Multi/dp/B07598Z96K/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Carson+reflex&qid=1603567155&sr=8-2[/size]

Cheers
Jack

Cheers
Jack
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.