Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Jerry C starts building a Stuart Twin Launch Engine from castings.  (Read 33447 times)

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Jerry C starts building a Stuart Twin Launch Engine from castings.
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2021, 10:09:39 am »

HiJerry,

Neat job well done, if you want I have 2- off Silicone "O" rings   1" o/d that I will never use, so you can have them F.O.C.

P.M. your address if you want them and I will post them out to you on Monday.

George.

P.S. I think that you have made a mistake by gluing on the eccentrics and the fly wheel, especially the fly wheel , how are you going to drill in pins for a disc drive prop shaft ? if you can't remove the fly wheel, and if the timing needs altered how can you do it.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2021, 04:54:23 pm »

Good to see you back Jerry  :-))

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2021, 07:53:01 am »

Thanks Mark, it’s good to be back but a bit nippy in the shed.
When I made the engine  for “Canberra “ I made this regulator but it wasn’t suitable for piston valves so I just held on to it for a rainy day. Yesterday I dug it out and had a look at it and decided to add a connection to the input side. It just fits between the drain cocks. The addition connection on the left is for the displacement oiler. I’ve done a drawing for the oiler today, I’ll need a 1/2” tap and die to do the filler cap. M. E. Taps and dies only available here from China with 5 week delivery time so I’ll order  a 1/2” x20tpi UNF plug tap and die locally for $50 which should arrive next week all being well so I’ll make a couple more, one for the next build and one to sell.

For the next regulator I’ll make two steam outlets and fit it directly to the steam inlet  pipes doing away with the tee piece, Actually, now I think about it I’ll do that to this one!

Jerry C

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2021, 09:35:03 am »

For the last 3 working days I have mostly been drawing up plans for displacement Oilers. These hold 10ccs each.  Im just waiting on a set of 1/2”x20 UNF taps and die for the top caps. A bit of silver soldering tomorrow and they’re done. One for this engine and the other for a pattern for the next engine.

Finally last years Christmas pressie has arrived from Aussie Tools. They have been out of stock plus moved their shop to a new location like us.
When we were on our boat two years ago I bought some callipers in ALDI. Later I noticed a small sliding door on the body which on removal uncovered a mini USB socket. I wondered at the time what it was for. Anyway I saw this DRO set on Aussie Tools website. It’s rudimentary but for $280 for 3 axis  I thought I’d give it a go. The display has magnetic mounting and is mains powered via a USB brick. It doesn’t do absolute readings and bolt circle calculations but if I can mount it all to my lathe it will stop me counting wheel rotations etc and eliminate backlash calculations.

Next job is to slim down the regulator, plug a few holes and make new connections and hopefully it will sit between the drain cocks which will need the threads and springs shortening so they don’t foul the regulator.

Jerry C.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2021, 10:30:19 am »

Bonjour Jerry,
Your oilers are beautiful, as professional as Stuart ones  :-))
My concern with them is that I have never the room to empty them by the bottom in my hulls, so I have to use a syringe and the adlustement needle is in its middle  :((
A friend of mine found an original solution that I have never seen before and after at 7'47": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOjylZzQyeA&t=205s 
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2021, 11:13:19 am »

Merci mon ami. Using the metering needle I can shut off the steam inlet and refill the oiler when boiler is steaming. As to draining the condensate I let it out directly into the bilges. I’m thinking of making an éducateur using a blowdown valve and a Venturi tube to act as a bilge pump. Sorry about the large font there.
[/size][/color]
[/size]Jerry C. [/color]

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: June 23, 2021, 10:30:54 am »

As promised, skimmed down the regulator, plugged one hole underneath and shortened the drain cock threads. I also made some 3/16” A/F brass nuts tapped 3mm to replace the rather bulky s/s metric nuts. Better aesthetics I think. All silver soldered but in one thread the solder didn’t run through the joint and that was my last 1/4”  so will order more. The UNF 1/2”/ 20 tap and die set I ordered arrived so I cut the cap thread in one of the oilers. I couldn’t for the life of me get the plug tap to start. So I’ve now got no 1, no.  2  and a left hand thread plug tap. Now being the only bloke for 50 kM in possession of a left hand. 1/2” UNF tap does have kudos attached but won’t get me to the bottom of a blind hole. Got in touch with the seller and he’s sending a replacement plug tap and has let me keep the left handed one.

Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2021, 11:47:01 am »

It’s taken 4 days to fit DRO kit. A lot of experimentation and thought to get it right and to give some protection to the senders on the lathe. They don’t need the batteries in them as power comes via the mini USB cables. So hurrah for X Y and Z.
What’s interesting is that one full turn of the 40th per turn wheels is actually only 39.5 thou. I haven’t measured the 50thou  vertical
 slide yet.

[url=https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/asIF4]

Jerry C.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2021, 07:28:57 pm »

Are you sure one turn of the hand wheel is not 39.37 thou?

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2021, 01:49:15 am »

Wheel is meant to be 40thou/rev. DRO spec. To 1/2 thou. Consistant  reading 0.0395.....0.079.....0.1185 et al.
I don’t have a micrometer or gauge blocks/pins to check but I seem to remember a micrometer works on a thread of 40tpi. Depends on how accurate the thread is I suppose.

Jerry C.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2021, 04:23:30 pm »

My comment was a little tongue in cheek, 39.37thou is one millimetre.  My guess is you have a Swiss metric screw masquerading as a Chinese imperial screw.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2021, 12:22:43 am »

..."a Swiss metric screw masquerading as a Chinese imperial screw"....haha...love it  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2021, 01:58:45 am »

OK, I’ve been trying all morning to say masquerading with my tongue in my cheek. It’s impossible, truft me.

These are my wheels/dials or whatever.

Always worked in imperial.

Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2021, 02:25:48 am »

Final pics in my studio. It folds up, has built in led lights via USB and a choice of background.
A present from Mary.

I’ll just have to dig out the compressor, hasn’t been seen since the house move.

Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2021, 11:10:44 am »

I’ve been finessing the build. I wasn’t too pleased with the valves I made. The exhaust square wasn’t right so I made two new ones together with the adjuster blocks. Much better second time around. I ordered some o rings to replace the piston rings. When I made the pistons I think they were meant to take two rings each but Stuart only supplied two rings so I made the piston ring grooves smaller in width to suit. The grooves need to be wider to take o rings. While turning the new grooves I sheared off the top of one piston rods and I had to make another.
Finally I packed the piston and valve rod glands with graphited yarn.
So she’s all ready for running in on air. I’ll make an adapter to take our compressor hose and running it on air. Then I’ll see about putting her up for sale.
Now I’ve fitted the DRO kit to the lathe I need to make a nice wheel on the end of the feed screw. Looked at the prices of aluminium billet here and decided to take another route. I bought a set of box spanner’s from the local Chinese store for $8. I cut the one with 14mm a/f end in half and made it into a handle. I removed the 14mm a/f nut from the end of the lead screw and drove it into the socket of the box spanner and secured it with super glue. Then I made a handle to fit through the tube. It works ok if a bit ugly.

Jerry C.

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2021, 12:29:01 pm »

Excellent workmanship - well done. On one of my models the displacement lubricator seal began to leak and despite changing the "O" ring it still leaked. I cured this by putting a ring of brass about 6mm round the edge of the cap as this stopped the "O" ring being squashed out and maintained a perfect seal.

I don't know why this happens with some "O" rings and not others - probably the quality.

Cheers

Geoff

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2021, 02:24:52 pm »

I thank you for that. The oiler cap and body are recess to trap the o ring.

Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2021, 05:10:50 am »

I knocked up an air connection, dug out the compressor and flashed it up. Loads of oil and off she goes.
Here’s a link, [size=78%]https://youtu.be/6DBW5Umn864[/size]
No fingers were lost in this adventure and only two bits fell off!
Enjoy.

Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2021, 09:47:35 am »

I wasn’t happy with the regulator it was all wrong so I made a new one, a fraction larger over all for a spanner to fit the union nuts. I also added two small pillars to the back resting on the cylinder lagging plate to prevent any untoward movement. Wrapped the steam inlet manifold with string, coated with plaster of Paris and painted gloss white. It’s going up on Facebook marketplace for sale tomorrow.

Jerry C.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2021, 12:52:14 pm »

Bonjour Jerry,
I am not on any social netwok  <:(  Could you tell me by MP your price ?
And, as you are a good mechanic, please let me suggest you a last enhancement, add a screw on the cylinder heads to let the user add some oil in after a run, example on one of my D10  :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtoQT9tvom4
Raphaël

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2021, 01:58:08 pm »

Merci Rhavrane, after a run I inject WD40 into the cylinder drain cocks with a hypodermic syringe. Using this method I can clear water from above and below the pistons. I buy WD40 in 5 litre containers as aerosols cans are very expensive and mostly contain propellant.

Jerry C. 

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2021, 05:03:58 pm »

Hi Jerry what a beautiful job it turned out to be  :-))   Almost a shame to sell it mate

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2021, 04:20:46 am »

Cheers Mark. Next one is the triple expansion, too large to fit my little milling attachment so I need to get a decent sized milling machine and loads of tools!

Hoping to return around November time all being well.

Jerry C.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2021, 06:42:03 am »

Attention Rhavane.

[/size]

Ok?

Jerry C

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2021, 08:13:58 am »

Bonjour Jerry,
Many thanks  ok2  And I note that the crew has outfits to match the boat, that's smart  :-))
I should go to Birmingham to meet my family in law and go to the pub with you after a little promenade on a canal  :}
Where do you store your boat when you leave it for a while ? Not in a house garage I imagine...
Raphaël
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.