Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musings on a built-in charger?  (Read 1620 times)

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
Musings on a built-in charger?
« on: April 30, 2022, 06:07:36 pm »

I have a cpl of projects on the go already lol, but Thimble has attracted me for decades. It seems a simple design and yet maybe not easy for removing/refitting battery for charging between runs.
So, I thought, a tailored charging circuit, built-in. Then charging could be just a couple of 'posts' poking out of the deck - clip on 6v or so, and then no need to open anything up during the day.

Any thoughts anyone?  ;)  Has anyone else built internal chargers?

(And by tailored i mean a proper charging chip/circuit pcb, *fully* designed for it - cut-off, balance, the works. DO NOT, anyone, just slam 6v into a battery, esp. LiPo!)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Musings on a built-in charger?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 06:48:52 pm »

Almost all my boats have charging sockets accessible on deck but often under removable skylights etc. I just have a jack plug fitted to the charger which plugs into them.

Colin

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 06:58:18 pm »

Interesting. (Though I figured my idea was nothing new lol)
What electronics do you have inside?

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 06:59:00 pm »

Almost all my boats have charging sockets accessible on deck but often under removable skylights etc. I just have a jack plug fitted to the charger which plugs into them.

Colin

LiPo?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 07:39:36 pm »

Most of my boats have NiMH power pacls so there is just a plus and minus lead between the charger socket and battery. Two boats have LiPos and I remove them from the models when not in use and keep them in a fireproof box. Charging is outside the boat and monitored.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 08:15:25 pm »

Hi Colh, do you mean charging at the lake side?  Otherwise a mains charger plugging into a socket is easy.  Main batteries will take some time to charge, would be OK for Rx battery but BEC's are more often used as they come as standard on ESC's.

I did once use bollards on a yacht as mentioned before one on the Port (red and +ve.) and the other to starboard.  If you do this it is best to have the on/off switch activate the charging points.
regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 08:43:11 pm »

I never charge at the lakeside. My models have enough capacity for a running session. In fact I rarely open up my models at the lakeside, it stops bits getting knocked off!

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 02:50:21 pm »

Colin

Be wary of Jack Plugs that carry both terminals. There can be a point either plugging in or disconnecting (deliberately or accidentally) where they are a short circuit.

Personally I prefer a couple of well spaced apart posts, that are covered when not in use, and crocodile clips.

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 02:58:04 pm »

Be wary of Jack Plugs that carry both terminals. There can be a point either plugging in or disconnecting (deliberately or accidentally) where they are a short circuit.

Personally I prefer a couple of well spaced apart posts, that are covered when not in use, and crocodile clips.

Yep - well-separated (2"+) terminal posts & croc clips was exactly my thinking . More from point of view of globs of water collecting in a single housing.
But a sensible comment  :-))

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2022, 03:02:51 pm »

I'm not an experienced boat modeller, but thinking about electronics on a weekend is still fun (albeit without being paid like the day job lol)
Dunno if the idea has any legs

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2022, 04:15:36 pm »

I've never experienced that problem. They are standard on transmitters, laptops, camera charger, and many other devices requiring a DC low voltage power supply.

Colin

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2022, 04:23:02 pm »

I've never experienced that problem. They are standard on transmitters, laptops, camera charger, and many other devices requiring a DC low voltage power supply.

Colin

Tug was maybe thinking of Phono plugs, like headphones, where there's a chance with the longitudinal 'rings', as it slides in between contacts. ("Ooo er matron"  :} )
[size=78%]. The usual dc plug should be ok tho, you're right.[/size]

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 04:23:18 pm »

Hi I can relate to this.  The first charger I made back in the early 80's used a jack plug /phono plug  to connect into the boat battery and there was always a flash as it went in and came out.  Used 2 pin sockets etc after that.  having read the previous post it was a phono plug.

regards,
Roy

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 04:28:56 pm »

Hi I can relate to this.  The first charger I made back in the early 80's used a jack plug /phono plug  to connect into the boat battery and there was always a flash as it went in and came out.  Used 2 pin sockets etc after that.  having read the previous post it was a phono plug.

regards,
Roy

Yep, not ideal for power these days. Still good for the guitarist to get that hummmmm when he plugs into the amp tho  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.