Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you keep it?  (Read 1933 times)

davejo90

Do you keep it?
« on: October 27, 2020, 01:58:01 pm »

Hi all,

I previously built a Diva model which I bought from Alwayshobbies. When I gave it to my wife to raffle for charity I gave all battery and the RC unit with it.

I have now just bought some more RC equipment for my new narrowboat build.

My question is: Do you keep the hand set and reciever when or if you sell on the boats?

The reason I ask is that this seems to be a big chunk of the cost of the build and I was thinking that maybe I should buy a relatively descent 4/5/6 channel set an keep in for future builds, just leaving the prop and motor intact if I sell it on.

davejo90

Re: Do you keep it?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 01:59:44 pm »

Sorry not sure whst happened there but I was trying to modify the first post and it seems I duplicated it. Can a mod delete this one please?

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 02:06:00 pm »

Whenever I sell a model, I give a complete set of parts - battery, charger, radio etc. so if the buyer is a novice, they're ready to go - all set up and working - just add water.

I can buy new 6-channel computer sets for £16 - and when the boats sell for £500, it's seems a bit 'cheap' to short-change the buyer.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 02:07:22 pm »

Personally, I am of the "buy a decent radio and keep it for all your models" school.  Actually, I have two sets I use regularly, but when I sold a boat recently it went without any radio kit.  As far as I can see, the only reason to sell on your radio kit is if it no longer meets your needs and you plan to change/upgrade.  A decent modern Tx will have a model memory so you can use it with several models, you don't need a different Tx for each model you have. 

But of course that's just my opinion - others have a different philosophy.

Greg

Edit - just seen Plastic's response - love to know where we can get 6 channel radios for £16!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:10:52 pm »

Personally, I am of the "buy a decent radio and keep it for all your models" school.  Actually, I have two sets I use regularly, but when I sold a boat recently it went without any radio kit.  As far as I can see, the only reason to sell on your radio kit is if it no longer meets your needs and you plan to change/upgrade.  A decent modern Tx will have a model memory so you can use it with several models, you don't need a different Tx for each model you have. 

But of course that's just my opinion - others have a different philosophy.

Greg

Edit - just seen Plastic's response - love to know where we can get 6 channel radios for £16!

I've had loads from Hobbyking - all different styles.
I've had a couple of these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-2-4ghz-mode-1-4ch-tx-rx-v2.html?queryID=&objectID=38494&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc 
4ch for £20 - there's often sales on and there's a 6-channel version that can be programmed via USB - I've had one of those - very nice little radio.

davejo90

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:56 pm »

I just bought, which was the cheapest of its kind that I could find, this add to that the speed controller the cost was £110. So I'm thinking I don't want to pay that out every time I make a model, especially not on a pension.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 04:37:54 pm »

That set will certainly serve you well for your narrow boat.  If you only ever envisage having one model at a time, then you could probably hang on to it if you decide to sell your narrow boat and get a different model.  You can also buy extra receivers if you end up with several models, so you can control them all from your Carson transmitter (but not at the same time!).  But as it is a 2 channel set, it might restrict you in the future if you acquire a model with extra features such as lights, moving parts (radar?), water pumps or anything else that requires separate control.  In the fullness of time, when you look to move the narrow boat on or you get extra models, you might want to consider trading up to a multi-channel set with model memory such as this one.

But in the meantime, enjoy your narrow boat!

Greg

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 06:13:35 pm »

Hi all,
If I was to buy a boat from some one I would maybe expect a rubber servo and  a motor but not any radio gear same if I was to sell  it would be the boat not the tx or rx  I think most guys now with 2x4g have one tx and and maybe lots of rx's for the one set as we all have our own set ups.
             Regards Howard.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 06:29:43 pm »

I think you're all missing the point that lots of people would love to build a boat but lack the knowledge or skills or time to do it.     These people are unlikely to know how to take someone else's work and find suitable compatible RC equipment or speed controllers or batteries.    So for the cost of a 'get you going' radio set, they are much more likely to purchase their dream model from you.   

I would say that every boat I've ever sold has gone to a novice wanting something big and impressive to sail that isn't just a glorified toy.    Once they get more experienced, they might want to upgrade to some clever transmitter or clever speed controller - but if they don't, they've still got a fully working model that just needs charging up for the lake.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 06:36:20 pm »

I would agree with Plastic. Most people buying boats on EBay etc. want something ready to run, they don't want to faff around refitting radio. I have made various review kits in recent years and they all have their own cheapie 2 channel radio. If I sell them I would feel obliged to throw in a charger for the boat batteries. The TXs are happy with standard alkaline AA cells.

If you want to sell then you need to make it easy for the customer.

Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2020, 06:48:09 pm »

If I sell them I would feel obliged to throw in a charger for the boat batteries. The TXs are happy with standard alkaline AA cells.

If you want to sell then you need to make it easy for the customer.

Colin

Yes - I give a complete set - boat battery, charger, radio set and yes, I put some batteries in the transmitter so they can fiddle with their new purchase when they get home.   :-))    I also include all the ballast as well - I've heard of some sellers being precious with their Lead!  %)

davejo90

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2020, 06:59:12 pm »

Thanks everyone for your views.

I'll see how it all goes before I do anything. I have already bought my next project which is a paddle steamer from Hobby.UK

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 07:28:49 pm »

An interesting debate. I bought my first RC Boat, The Al Khubar, 14 years ago just prior to retirement. I needed a decent multi channel Radio Set and bought a Futaba 6EX 2.4 GHz.Quite expensive at the time at £170 but this was around the dawn of 2.4 GHz. It is still going strong after 14 years use which equates to about £12 per year.

The 6EX has six model memories for six different models but as I primarily make tugs and merchantmen I find that I can run several boats off the same memory as they are all of the 'One big battery-One big Motor-One big Prop' variety. The only change to a new memory is if I end up with a different rudder servo that requires me to reverse the servo. So that is two out of the six memories used up, and a third for my twin prop Tug.

I have purchased eight boats over the years from E-Bay and this Forum. Six were part built and two were unstarted kits, so I do not conform to the 'new boy who wants something ready to go' image suggested by Colin and plastic. I took the opportunity to buy a boat I was considering making at a reduced price.

When selling a boat I always offer the motor and electrics, except the receiver, but have a reduced price if they are not required.

Just my way of doing things!!
John

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2020, 07:46:41 pm »

I have purchased eight boats over the years from E-Bay and this Forum. Six were part built and two were unstarted kits.
John
So you don't buy finished models?     You already had the skills to know what you wanted - but in my experience, the buyers of finished models want them to be 'turn key' and to include everything needed to go to the lake.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2020, 07:56:22 pm »

Buccaneer, you are missing the point a bit. You are not in the mainstream of buyers with your extensive knowledge. Nobody woud suggest you are a new boy.

As Plastic says, most buyers on EBay are looking for RTR boats with the R/C installed. They just want to get on to the pond with no hassle.

Colin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 09:42:35 am »

I've had loads from Hobbyking - all different styles.
I've had a couple of these: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-2-4ghz-mode-1-4ch-tx-rx-v2.html?queryID=&objectID=38494&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc 
4ch for £20 - there's often sales on and there's a 6-channel version that can be programmed via USB - I've had one of those - very nice little radio.
There is also - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-2-4ghz-mode-2-4ch-tx-rx-v2.html?queryID=77b6d6a0adecaa5bb7a375d47043d60c&objectID=38495&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc  - which is probably better for boats and even better, in stock.
If a boat is beig sold as a working item, it does need to have the full outfit  which includes the means of controlling it.  OTOH if its being sold as a basis for a project, then a floating hull plus supersructure doesn't need a radio.  Then again, a complex mdel with a stack of features that require a lot of setting up on a complex transmitter should have the transmitter with it.  Of course, the price should reflect that.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.