Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maui: 17m 1971 Voith Harbour Tug  (Read 5725 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maui: 17m 1971 Voith Harbour Tug
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2021, 12:27:02 am »

I have a 1/50 version of the 31m Voith tug Kupe but with twin screws. I'd like to rebuild it at 1/20 but the commercially available drives are too small and too expensive.

The Graupner Voith drives are over $NZ300 each plus shipping, and the better engineered Bauers are over $NZ500 each. I could never swing that past the boss, and I'm wary of the committing to the Graupner drives as I have a couple of Graupner ASD drives on my SDM tug and they are not very robust (poor design). Can't use them any more for fear of losing a nozzle in the middle of the pond.

I guess that project will have to stay on the back-burner for a while.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2021, 03:58:14 am »

Seve.....is that $NZ 500.00 each purchasing directly on the Manufacturer?......what type of Freight is included?

DHL [an arm of Deutsche Post] is very expensive with their Insurance Costs

[Metric minature hex headed [M1.5 to M+++] brass bolts & nuts are near an exclusive to Germany]

I have experienced a small parcel approx 70 Euro of B&N was beefed up to 112 EURO with DHL freight & Insurance or a 40% of the costs as extras ..the delivery time was 12 days

I have also experienced a similar 70 Euro in B&N from the same supplier with standard Deutsche Post with 12 Euro postagewith a landed deliver time of 6 days O0

However I understand the need for insurance + fully tracked number  <*<  with higher value individual items such as you Bauer drives

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RST

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2021, 12:19:56 am »

Hi,

A contrarotating VSP sounds fascinating but hideously complicated.  The single one I have for a project is just about enogh as it is!

Steve we all know you put exquisite static models of this type together, much like Bob W does for sailing ships so happy to watch your builds and watch them coming together.

Rich

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2021, 08:36:32 pm »

Thanks Rich.
Derek: the NZ micro-dollar is buying as much these days. NZ$1.65 per Euro, plus freight (post) and insurance, plus there could be 15% a sales tax at this end. That all adds up to make it prohibitive.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2021, 05:20:56 am »

After patting myself on the back for fixing the errors on the stern bulwarks I started on the capping  rail and fender housing.

The capping rail is steel tube so this was replicated with styrene rod on the now correct height bulwarks. Easy peasy.

The boat was built with a rubber rubbing strip in a moulded channel running completely around the boat, level with the deck. I had built in a flat surface onto the hull for easy attachment of the styrene channel. When I started putting the channel in place it didn't look right. The plans, as-built photos and the current photos didn't match. Stop me if you'd heard this one before... I hadn't been paying attention – again. What is it with this guy? I'm beginning to wonder if my wife is right.

The real Maui has been altered a few time over the past 50 years and the original rubbing strip housing at the stern has been changed to accommodate a large fender roll. This meant major surgery to the stern – again. The transom is now cut/squared off and the stern has also been altered.

It's all sorted out now but not a glowing testament to my powers of observation and concentration.

The next job is the fender housing. The fender roll is held in place by a simple system of ties but this system will be quite difficult to reproduce at 1/50.

I'll have to give it some thought – something I haven't been doing too much of on this build.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 09:47:58 pm »

Brian C's fantastic Mauritania certainly puts my meagre efforts into perspective. I suddenly feel very ham-fisted and slap-dash.

Anyway, I seem to be back on track – at last. The fender housing is all attached. The fenders will be attached after final painting.

The anchor points for the stern fender roll at the base of the housing are some brass eyes from the spares box. They will be hidden by the fender when it's in place.

The hull is pretty much completed, although I always seem to find a few spots that need attention whenever I look at the photos.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2021, 09:13:59 pm »

The hard work has all been done on the hull so now I can start on the mock ups of the Voith drives.

These are surrounded by a protection/skid plate. I've made this as a seperate unit that can be painted and stuck on after the completed Voith propellers have been attached to the painted hull. This piece was relatively simple and straightforward. The struts have a brass rod core with a styrene covering  so it's pretty strong and attaches to some solid points on the hull and keel frames.

The plate on the Maui doesn't have the 2 forward outer struts that are used the larger 31m version of this hull type as you can see in the B/W photo of the Maui beached for survey, and the last few photos of the 31m Kupe  (the red one) and Hauroko in dry dock. You can also see how the original 1971 hull shape on Kupe was developed and simplified to the Hauroko's hard chines in the 1980s. Hauroko is a big beast of a tug and I hope to build  one, and rebuild Te Matua (both are based on the same hull) in the future so this is good practice.

mikelimajuliet

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2021, 12:07:46 am »

Lovely work Steve, I do enjoy reading about your builds

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2021, 08:06:29 pm »

Thanks MLJ

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2021, 01:32:41 am »

Not too much progress to report this time.

I had planned to paint the hull but the warm weather has kicked in and my workspace in the garage is suddenly becoming an oven. So much so that the paint coming out of the airbrush was pretty much drying on contact. That meant a very course, grainy coating – even when well diluted. It was also fouling the nozzle on a regular basis. Slow and dissatisfying with much wet & dry repair work. I also managed to drop the paint reservoir bottle and break the cap with the tube/attachment clean in two. Glue won't fix it as there's always a lot of solvent sloshing around in there. A new airbrush is in

So the hull has taken a back seat for a while and I started on the superstructure, and assembled the basic carcass out of ply. The GA that I have is not exactly 100% accurate and the curves on the front of the superstructure are much flatter than on the drawings. Same for the wheelhouse/bridge sides: they are flat/straight with no forward radiused corners in real life and curved with radiused corners on the plans, as you can see by comparing the photo with the GA. Fortunately these issues were easily fixed before I got to far down the wrong track.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 02:15:12 am »

Things have been progressing, slowly.

There always seems to be a sequence that a build has to follow. With the hull now ready for painting it's: paint above the waterline, then paint the deck/bulwarks, then attach the rubber rubbing strip, then paint below the waterline, then attach Voith blades and protection plate, then retouch the paint, then attach the stern fender. Sounds complicated but there is is a method to the madness – do the jobs with the least amount of fiddly work and chances of having to do major re-work first and the delicate stuff last.

So the theory goes...

I'm at the painting the deck stage at the moment. In the meantime I added some details to the superstructure before its fist coat of paint – a small lip around the edges of the upper deck, the porthole surrounds, recessed port power panel. There are plenty more details to go on after this has been painted.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2021, 02:19:08 am »

Between painting sessions I made a start on the funnel/mast. On the real boat this is a simple but elegant piece of formed steel (photo 1). Easy to do if you have some basic metalwork skills – so I had to figure out another way to do it.

Usually I would skin the funnel with thin styrene and I've had success with laminating styrene into complex curves before. Not this time, the forward curve of the mast is too tight and the styrene wouldn't hold its shape. After a few frustrating attempts I resorted to 0.8mm ply set around a removable frame. Worked out fine – genius! Although if you've been following the build you'll know that it was more by good luck than good management.

I made 2 masts at the same time, to slightly different widths – the dimensions on the GA just didn't look right when made.

To sand the lower curve of the mast/funnel an airbrush paint bottle was exactly the right size to use as a sanding block. Managed not to drop this one.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2021, 02:20:40 am »

And a couple more...

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 02:09:07 am »

It has been awhile since the last update and I don't really have any excuses for the slow progress. 2020 seems like a wasted year, in model building terms. Moved house 3 times and another in 2 weeks, boats in long term storage, plus a 4 month COVID lockdown, and the hottest summer on record has turned my workshop into an oven. Haven't been able to work in there for weeks. Happy days.

Nevertheless I have managed to make a little, slow progress since Christmas, once I had single handedly demolished the Christmas ham.

The hull is now completed and has had the two mock 4 bladed Voith units and skid plate attached. It's all painted and now ready for the deck vents, bollards, etc. The "rubber" rubbing strip has been attached but the stern fender will be quite a complex job so I'll put that aside for awhile.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 02:13:00 am »

The Panama ports/fairleads are exactly the same size and shape as the ones I had 3D printed for my YTL625 build a few years ago. By pure fluke I had 3 left over from that build – just right for this project.

The photos of them on this project are a bit too dark but they look fine in real life. The last photo shows them a lot clearer on the YTL.

I'm trying to spark up some enthusiasm for this build but it's hard to get back on the horse. Yesterday I was checking out the previously painted superstructure housing and managed to drop it from full height. Instinctively I put out a foot to try and break its fall before it hit the concrete floor. A bit to forcefully as I only managed to hit it on the volley and boot it into the wall. Was never able to do that on the footy field! Doh!

It didn't do too much damage apart from a dent in the deck/wall/rain lip joint. More remedial work...

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2022, 04:36:25 pm »

Some fine Steve. O0

Tworrs

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2022, 11:02:13 am »

I look forward to following some of your builds Steve. :-)
Garry

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2022, 09:25:03 pm »

Thanks Garry. I'll have to get this one back on track. We have moved house 4 times in the last 18 months and workshops haven't been an option in our temporary homes. One last move to go in the next month and hopefully then I'll be able to get everything out of storage and set up a workshop again.
I must say that I have certainly missed time at the bench.

Tworrs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2022, 09:37:06 pm »

Yes moving around a lot is certainly very disruptive, I hope you are able to settle down soon.
Where are you?

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2022, 03:55:30 am »

Left Wellington for Auckland, then Orewa, then Northshore now back in Wellington looking for something permanent. Crazy time to be buying and selling houses.

Tworrs

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2022, 04:55:03 am »

That is a lot of moving about Steve, was it for work?
I'm down in North Canterbury.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.