Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie 1/200 HMS Hood system drawings / advice  (Read 2544 times)

andygt550

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie 1/200 HMS Hood system drawings / advice
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:53:38 pm »

Hi Just joined today. Looking to build 1/200 HMS Hood and fully r/c it - Props/rudder/lights/turrets. Not done r/c before but competent modeller/engineer. Has anyone got a system drawing / wiring diagram for this to happen. Seen loads of stuff available but want to "steal" some ideas. Especially turret rotation and barrel elevation / depression. Also, as a static model how do i control the 4 x prop shafts to rotate @max 210rpm each and individually?

Many thanks in anticipation

Andy C

davejo90

Re: Newbie 1/200 HMS Hood system drawings / advice
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 09:06:59 am »

Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

This lot are a real friendly bunch and will help you if you need it. Good luck with all your builds  :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 09:30:09 am »

If you don't mind a bit of simplification, http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_13/products_id/3104 offers much of wha is needed for a two shaft installation.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 12:31:33 pm »

Good luck with your build, I hope to follow your build on here. Here is a very useful website for you, my brother, who is also building an r/c version of Hood, has found it very useful. Everything you want to know about Hood is on this site, I also recommend the Book 'Anatomy of the Ship Hood'.

http://www.hmshood.org.uk/index.php

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:04:07 pm »

Are you scratch-building from wood, building a fibreglass/styrene kit or building the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood plastic kit and upgrading it?

Personally, I'd be building the Trumpeter model as it's all the same material so easier to fix things together - only one glue needed.     It's also a complete model - no guesswork needed.     There's lots of photo-etch upgrades for it available off the shelf.

Here's a video of the box contents.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6OfICdxG8

andygt550

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 06:42:00 pm »

Hi Many thanks for your comments. It is a Trumpeter Model...( £253 from an Amazon deal!) should be here on the 7th November fingers crossed. Ive watched loads of you tube stuff that got me started as I'm in imposed exile due to chemotherapy. To this end my missus enforced a Tamyia Bismark 1/350 build on me first just to check that my shakey hands could cope with the PE. The PE is all new to me and the Bismark build has taught me loads and allowed me to test out all the tools required. Mind you a few AA guns have ended up as a ball of glued brass! Lets hope the painting covers my sins.
As an aside I did try to commission an airbrush artist, especially for the hull. Absolutely no joy in the whole of Wiltshire, even the Plastic modellers society didnt want to know. I have had a go at Airbrushing in the past but managed to coat most of the living room in German Grey!. So I sold all of my stuff and moved onto model railways, So if anyone wants to Airbrush my Hood hull get in touch!

hope you enjoy photos more to follow.

Cheers
Andy C

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:05 am »

Ive watched loads of you tube stuff that got me started as I'm in imposed exile due to chemotherapy.
Cheers
Andy C
Good luck with your chemo - I'm starting my chemo next week too.   :-))

andygt550

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 08:26:19 am »

Hi Mr Plastic...Probably not appropriate here.....Listen. I was very ill and have been with a Kidney transplant only to find out that it introduced a Lymphoma. My first RCHOP chemotherapy was only 9 days ago and it was absolute hell for me. Thought I couldn't go on... but very slowly I have felt a little better each day. Walking and drinking loads really helps. Even though I'm not looking forward to my next session in a weeks time a Positive attitude goes a long way. I cannot express how much of a positive impact thinking about my models, researching the internet and You Tube has helped me get through this. Lying in a Hospital bed at night and imagining the things I'm going to do during my HMS Hood build has given me the strength to carry on. So, clear a space, get a boat ordered and get building. Think "I'm going to do this bit tomorrow". Sit and rest and then get back to it.....
All the best

Andy C

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:22:14 am »

G'day Andy.........I know a few Folks who have undergone Chemo [including my Mum]......so I will not dwell on that......your mention of laying in a Hospital bed in the dark hours thinking about your project.....so these thoughts could quite probably evolve into project dreams...... O0

Reminds me of the words I used to sing to my 3 girls when they were so much younger.....The Goodnight Song by the Beatles.....'dream sweet dreams for me.....dream sweet dreams for you"

So obviously at our ages the subject can change.......there is absolutely so much detail in a model ship.......those many technically challenging issues can be the subject of your thoughts & dreams

You will find many helpful postings here on MBM about motor control, however I suspect a 1:200, 4 x shaft HMS Hood may need a little more than 210 Shaft RPM

So back to the Chemo....I understand this process depletes the white blood cells.....so I try & do my bit......next Tuesday, will be my 106th [& I make it Plasma each time]

I will look forward to your HMS Hood postings in due course

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Dean's Marine

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dean's Marine
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 09:31:55 am »

Hialso as a 4 screw sethttp://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/5_13/products_id/3105
and under sailing test on U tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMRkqVuzHZU
regards Ron

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 09:54:06 am »

When you open the box you will be overwhelmed with the amount of parts in it, all I can advise is to break the model down into sub kits and tackle them one at a time.
We''ve all been there screwing up PE, but the more you do the better you'll get. The PE in my model boat kits still get screwed although that's at 1/700 scale; you'll also find how effective superglue is in sticking skin together!
I found a PE bending tool useful and a good set of tweezers.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 03:57:52 pm »

Hi Mr Plastic...Probably not appropriate here.....Listen. I was very ill and have been with a Kidney transplant only to find out that it introduced a Lymphoma. My first RCHOP chemotherapy was only 9 days ago and it was absolute hell for me. Thought I couldn't go on... but very slowly I have felt a little better each day. Walking and drinking loads really helps. Even though I'm not looking forward to my next session in a weeks time a Positive attitude goes a long way. I cannot express how much of a positive impact thinking about my models, researching the internet and You Tube has helped me get through this. Lying in a Hospital bed at night and imagining the things I'm going to do during my HMS Hood build has given me the strength to carry on. So, clear a space, get a boat ordered and get building. Think "I'm going to do this bit tomorrow". Sit and rest and then get back to it.....
All the best
Andy C

Thanks - I'm afraid I'm terminal but the chemo will hopefully slow things down - the oncologist says he might be able to give me 18 months to 2 years - as long as everything goes ok.      He says that apart from dying of cancer, I'm remarkably healthy.    {-)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 06:47:13 pm »

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 08:06:11 pm »

HI Andygt550 Component shop should be able to fix you up with with some items also prop shop and model boat bits and deans marine the choice  is yours. You asked about the scales I work in anything from 1/24 to 1/200 should you venture into bigger warships then 1/96  will be ideal. I have attached a link to some of my warships hope all goes well with your build. Please note this model will not be a sailing model purely static

Stan.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63229.msg668468.html#msg668468
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.