Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dickie Tugboat / Seaport Workboat  (Read 227392 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dickie Tugboat / Seaport Workboat
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2008, 12:53:37 pm »

What are most people doing as regards the running gear?

1. Using the original motor, coupling and shaft?
2. Replacing the motor & coupling?
3. Replacing the the shaft and prop?
4. Replacing everything!

Also, what speed controller are you using?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2008, 03:57:24 pm »

I kept the motor, coupling, shaft and prop and renewed rudder servo.

I used a Tornado 50amp forward 20amp reverse speed controller
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

jules64

« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2008, 04:02:50 pm »

I currently have the same motor, coupling and prop with an electronize 43 speed controller. Very noisy setup at low speed with the coupling and small water ingress via shaft.

Still using the pump which is now controlled by seperate servo on a cam/microswitch.

Best wishes
Jules64

hama

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2008, 02:27:39 pm »

I use the same motor but I geared it after a year or two. Unfortunately I broke a connection to the original piston pump so I had to replace it.  I seem to be the only one that choose to keep the ballast tank, I think its great. As I have put extra fixed ballast in her I had to extend the air vents from the tank out on deck, before that I couldn't figure out where the water in the hull came from!!

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2008, 09:40:17 am »

I kept the same running gear. like Richard I put a 'normal' servo in for steering, and use Mtronics 15amp speed controller. Now undergoing major refit, calm weather allowing respray to Alexandra Towing Company colours for hull and superstructure, funnels converted much earlier!

Danny

Damien

« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2009, 12:01:16 am »

Made a discovery yesterday morning, Grease dosen't stop water ingress in the sloppy fit tube and shaft supplied after sitting in the test tank overnight there was enough water to wet the bottom of the motor can. Very lucky it wasn't a few hours longer, anyway a new prop shaft has been made just waiting on new 45mm prop to arrive.

Ahhh the fun we have whilst modelling.
Damien.   

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

roger

« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2010, 04:40:35 pm »

I am working on my version of the SeaPort Work Boat. It is based on Clyde Marine's Stantug 1906 Battler. This will enable a 1/32 scale model which should look appropriate alongside my colleagues' Mobile Marine models (less work but much more money!)

However, having looked a loads of pictures before I made my choice, I have several more versions in mind for future conversions, so I thought I'd get a couple more kits in stock ready for the next Winter-workshop season. Unfortunately, Howes is currently out of stock.

Google led me to http://www.rcscale.co.uk/eshop/proddetail.php?prod=RCB-SEAPOR. The price looks good at £27.48 each. Sadly the checkout says Goods £54.96, Shipping £58.60!

Either rcscale.co.uk has a serious error in their checkout calculator or they think I was born yesterday! Avoid this supplier until they fix the error or decide to be less greedy.

karls

« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2010, 08:21:13 pm »

Howesmodels have them back in stock £42.50 inc delivery and yes i just got one :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2010, 09:06:34 pm »

I am working on my version of the SeaPort Work Boat. It is based on Clyde Marine's Stantug 1906 Battler. This will enable a 1/32 scale model which should look appropriate alongside my colleagues' Mobile Marine models (less work but much more money!)

However, having looked a loads of pictures before I made my choice, I have several more versions in mind for future conversions, so I thought I'd get a couple more kits in stock ready for the next Winter-workshop season. Unfortunately, Howes is currently out of stock.

Google led me to http://www.rcscale.co.uk/eshop/proddetail.php?prod=RCB-SEAPOR. The price looks good at £27.48 each. Sadly the checkout says Goods £54.96, Shipping £58.60!

Either rcscale.co.uk has a serious error in their checkout calculator or they think I was born yesterday! Avoid this supplier until they fix the error or decide to be less greedy.
If you read their info there is this paragraph.

We provide Standard Air Mail shipping and Express Delivery, we can ship all orders to our customers around the world in a short period of time. All our orders will be send from our Asia Office (not from UK), so please be aware that you may need to pay for the import taxes (or may not), depend on your country's import tax policies.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2011, 07:03:23 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

Hello

I see your web (How to convert the Dickie Tug to full proportional radio control)

My conversion of the "Dickie tug boat", in the lightvessel "Cabo Prior":

http://www.amonaga.org/foro/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88

Kent50

Re: Sorry, questions about the Seaport Workboat again!
« Reply #111 on: February 01, 2011, 07:44:00 pm »

I have a couple of Dickie Tugs that I use as a rescue for RC sailboating.  I have 4 of them because as one gets into trouble I need to have a replacement because my sailboats are expensive and I had one stolen when I couldn't rescue it and had to leave the pond to find a device to retrieve the boat and when I got back it was gone!

Anyway, I have 4 boats and 4 transmitters - 3 Harbour Tugs and 1 "Fireboat".  The Fireboat Model responds to only 1 of the transmitters (that I use for one of the Harbour Tugs) has great acceleration forward and backward and the firehose works BUT the rudder doesn't turn - there is no response at all, no noise of effort to try to respond!  I use the same transmitter on the Harbour boat and everything works.  I have tried the other 3 transmitters and the Fireboat doesn't respond to any of them.  Of course I lost track of what transmitter came with the Fireboat because they all look the same though the frequencies are slightly different.

Has anyone had this problem with the rudder receiver not responding to the transmitter and determined the cause and a fix?

I would love and appreciate hearing some ideas...   My main interest is sailing and I am not a builder so the act of retrofitting the Tug is not really an option.

Thanks in advance

Kent50

Re: Dickie Tugboat - "Stabilizers"
« Reply #112 on: February 01, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »

Russ - I know it has been years since the posting of your stabilizers for this tug....

What did you use for your stabilizers and how did you apply them to the boat so that she runs straight and true?  I like the idea but need advice on what to do.  Thanks

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Sorry, questions about the Seaport Workboat again!
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2011, 07:34:19 pm »

How can I put this politely....   the fitted radio is complete and utter RUBBISH!

... that why everyone replaces it with 'real' 2 channel radio.... most of us even before it touches the water!   :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_models/31%20Dickie.htm

I have a couple of Dickie Tugs that I use as a rescue for RC sailboating.  I have 4 of them because as one gets into trouble I need to have a replacement because my sailboats are expensive and I had one stolen when I couldn't rescue it and had to leave the pond to find a device to retrieve the boat and when I got back it was gone!

Anyway, I have 4 boats and 4 transmitters - 3 Harbour Tugs and 1 "Fireboat".  The Fireboat Model responds to only 1 of the transmitters (that I use for one of the Harbour Tugs) has great acceleration forward and backward and the firehose works BUT the rudder doesn't turn - there is no response at all, no noise of effort to try to respond!  I use the same transmitter on the Harbour boat and everything works.  I have tried the other 3 transmitters and the Fireboat doesn't respond to any of them.  Of course I lost track of what transmitter came with the Fireboat because they all look the same though the frequencies are slightly different.

Has anyone had this problem with the rudder receiver not responding to the transmitter and determined the cause and a fix?

I would love and appreciate hearing some ideas...   My main interest is sailing and I am not a builder so the act of retrofitting the Tug is not really an option.

Thanks in advance

Kleban

« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2011, 06:42:39 pm »

As a newcomer to this hobby, I bought myself a SEAPORT harbour tug. With the assistance of one of the members in our club, I am in the process of upgrading / modifying the tug. I also plan to give it a respray.

I'm looking forward to seeing it completed when it will look more like model and less of a toy ...  :}

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2011, 09:52:43 am »

I wonder if anyone has found a use for the stuff they call RC in a dickie, book ends etc  :D .
Seriously Kleban get rid of the rc gear in the workboat and fit a cheap 27mhz set ,
it's not that hard to do and it will give you the assurance that your boat will work on the water.
check the link,
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/
Then click on the workboat picture , you will find everthing there to get you into your boat (there are some hidden screws) and change the radio .
Also you could take on some of the ideas and make yours different on the outside.
good luck
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Jack.H

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2011, 09:27:05 am »

Very nice looking tug. Is the hull fiberglass?

Jack.H {-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 07:48:32 am »

It's a toy type hard plastic quite brittle but you can drill and cut it with care.
When modifying the electronics you may have to drill a few holes to keep the
cable runs tidy and cut out the water ballast tank if you want to use a SLA battery
No need to cut or drill the hull at all unless you are unlucky and get one with a
leaky prop shaft stern tube (mine was ok)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Kent50

« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:05 pm »

Dickie Rudder Servo doesn't work - No hint of movement.  Drive for propeller forward and aft works fine.  Fire hose squirter works fine.   But nearly new Tug has no response to rudder control.  Has anyone had this problem and know a solution.  I am in no position to totally retrofit new servos and RC controls.

Help!

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2011, 07:54:46 am »

Hello Kent. Try a posting in the Wants section. Because of its dubious performance most of the lads rip out
the original gear.So it should be virtual giveaway. One guy at my club has replaced his gear . I will ask him if hes still got the origenal It may well be possible to pick up a cheap 25 or 40 meg set as a lot of the lads are going to 2.4 now. You will need more than 2 ch if you wish to use squirter. Good luck. John.

jackhill

Re: Seaport Tug Review
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2011, 10:47:31 pm »

Thanks martin. All of you have inspired me. I love this site. I have put up the pictures of the conversion under the seaport tug section  :-)

bentug

« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2011, 05:04:58 pm »

Hi Kent,
I am wondering that you want to rescue several >expensive< sailboats with that dickiechinaelectricalcrap.
Take a few pounds, get yourself just another (= the fifth) reliable RX working with your existing gear, another servo, and an ESC - and you've got a real insurance.
And you may need only one backup Dickie instead of three  ok2 . Perhaps selling one or two of them would refinance the new rx, somebody may even want to swap.

Regards from germany,
ben

Kent50

« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2011, 09:40:43 pm »

I have to say that this piece of junk has worked reliably well to drag out the buoys for setting a sailing race course; for clearing out floating weeds with a dragging device; for rescuing sailboats when the battery dies or when the wind dies out at sunset.

Love this Dickie tug thingy!  It has saved me many a frigid swim in the middle of winter and the only time I did not have it and a sailboat got hung up in overhanging branches, when I ran home to get a retriever device and came back, some bloke had stolen the sailboat!!

I have had to use one Dickie tug to retrieve another one that almost sank - before I stabilized them better with lead strips at the bottom of the hull.

So you can trash talk your Dickie, but I love mine!!

Just kidding!

K

Mr Sam

« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2011, 11:14:40 pm »

heres me with my girlfriends brothers coast guard version think it was the one before the tug version

MikeC

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2011, 01:17:44 pm »

My motor just died - due to a sinking (you don't want to know !)
I see in a very early post that a 540  motor was substituted. This seems awful big. Any smaller suggestions
Cheers Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.