Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Dickie Tugboat / Seaport Workboat  (Read 227374 times)

rp6705

Re: Dickie Tugboat / Seaport Workboat
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2007, 08:34:11 am »

Thanks guys  O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2007, 11:18:47 am »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2007, 07:41:25 pm »

Done the conversion on my dickie with help from Martin's pictures (thanks Martin).will have to replace the prop shaft/tube as the one fitted knocks a bit .
Dont know whi you cant get your battery out Martin for charging ,mine comes out easy even with the velcro grip .apart from that i think i read on another post that SLA batterys should be charged upright ? .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 08:47:09 pm »

Any pictures Daz?  Mine also as this noise which i think is the coupling between motor and shaft?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 10:29:08 pm »

i did have some taken last week but they got deleted by mistake . Not done anything special to the appearance yet apart from a new toggle switch for the on/off .
just thought i would get it on the water first  ,mind you i did leave the bit of concrete in and i think i will have to remove that as it's a bit bow heavy.
This post is taking ages for me to write as the "tick off" animation  is doing me head in looks like cartman form southpark .
Right back to the post ,i will take it to the pond this weekend for another run  and have the camera ready maybe a little towing .
But as for any mods my time at the moment is taken up with model slipway's Dutch River ,well thats what i may call mine ,but theres another post for the future .
daz

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2007, 06:41:57 pm »

Nice pictures Daz! Definately didnt have that kind of weather at my end today!  Are you going to give it a different colour scheme?

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2007, 07:03:40 am »

in time it might get a re vamp especialt the wheel-house and get rid of the rest of those stickers .
My intention is to use it as a have-a-go-boat for club events so i wont spend too much time .
daz

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2007, 02:29:50 pm »

just rip the stickers off, the actual superstructure isnt that bad for a cheap toy
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2007, 03:45:03 pm »

tried that ,then had to refer to the post on sticker residue removal . as for the wheel-house i think just a coat of paint ,and get rid of that life raft  it's ram  well that's what my niece would say  :).
daz

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2007, 08:09:06 pm »

well when I removed the stickers off my lidl yacht, the residue was removed with wd40! spray on and watch the residue disolve.  also turps helps.  rince off well after and you may be able to paint it
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2007, 09:41:36 am »

Hi Folks!

After reading the posts on this thread, and having two club members with these boats, I decided to take the plunge. Ordered from Howes on Saturday, arrived Tuesday morning. Now Thursday morning, tug stripped down to basic parts, the only problem one of the forrard deck screws was burred over, so had to be drilled out to remove the deck! All radio gear stripped out as per Martin's instructions, proper servo installed, rx and SC tested but not as yet secured, whilst I work out where I want to put them for easy access. Thanks to all for your posts and comments, I would probably not have added this model to my tug collection without your advice.

Danny

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2007, 05:36:47 pm »

hi Danny i hid all the gubbins under the wheel house ,it looked like a pile of spaghetti so to thought i had best hide it
daz

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2007, 09:17:58 pm »

Well I to have succumbed to the dark side and have just ordered a Seaport Workboat from Howes.
Been brainwashed, cant stand tugs. >>:-( ::) :embarrassed:
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2007, 09:19:41 pm »

Hi Daz

Thanks for that, it's probably what I will end up doing too! Being a pauper pensioner, I've got to watch the pennies, so rx and SC's have to double up, for whatever boats I wish to sail! Consequently, I don't want to have to derig the whole boat every time. Four screws, plus the funnels shouldn't be too bad though.

As I have a couple of other tugs that were Alexandra Towing Company, I thought at some stage I may paint this one up to match, what do you think? Black hull, tan superstructure, white wheelhouse, and buff funnels, same as my Joffre, and similar to Alfred (Tyne Models version) I may do a re-design on the mast too, supplied one looks a bit "naff" to me, and easily broken.

Danny

PS Being ex RN Dickie, I thought I would "do" warships and tugs, the latter had always fascinated me, but couldn't get on with warships! Now limit myself to tugs and small yachts. Welcome to the world of "working" boats!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2007, 09:29:09 pm »

I ended up replacing the shaft and coupling and it now runs silent.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2007, 09:35:26 pm »

Hi Danny
All my models have been warships up to now so this  will make a change.
I notice that in the adverts they say this runs on 9.6v, but I see most of you run on 6v LA. I take it they run ok ?  :-\
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2007, 09:44:05 pm »

When you dismantle the tug you will find a ballast tank inside with small flood slots in the hull, i removed the top half of the ballast tank sealed the flood slots and sat the 6v battery in here so it is low down in the hull, i still fitted a couple of stabilisers though and she is very stable in rough water.

Russ

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2007, 09:29:17 am »

thats an idea ,to remove the water tank all together .didn't think of that one  :(
i left mine in (as martin's destructions said) therefore the 6v battery sits on top of that,and it can still be removed 
I did try the tug without the lump of concrete for ballast but put it back as there was a bit to much wobble ,maybe a bit more lead down there to replace the ballast .
The stabilisers are a good idea any pics for size and position on the hull ?
Russell ,was the shaft replacement easy as the plastic looks a bit brittle ?
daz

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2007, 09:33:01 am »

Hi Richard

Not yet completed ready for real "sea" trials, but yesterday I had the boat in the usual test tank, ie the bath! I rested a 6v 4ah SLA on the top of the ballast tank, and there seemed to be quite sufficient power on 6v. However, the supplied 9.6v nicads will be taken to the lakeside for trials when finished. If I am able to remove SLA without dismantling the whole boat, then I can try both, and judge from there. Being more used to using SLA's in my boats, that would be my choice if it works well enough.

As there seem to be a good few of us with these boats now, perhaps a future Mayhem get-together could feature them, maybe as a rival feature to the Springer tugs?

Danny

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2007, 11:54:53 am »

thats an idea ,to remove the water tank all together .didn't think of that one  :(
i left mine in (as martin's destructions said) therefore the 6v battery sits on top of that,and it can still be removed 
I did try the tug without the lump of concrete for ballast but put it back as there was a bit to much wobble ,maybe a bit more lead down there to replace the ballast .
The stabilisers are a good idea any pics for size and position on the hull ?
Russell ,was the shaft replacement easy as the plastic looks a bit brittle ?
daz

Hi Daz,  I can still remove the battery even though it sits in the bottom of the ballast tank, i have attached a picture, i will post one later with the stabilisers shown, the ballasting is always a problem in small boats so i tend to use food bags with sand and these can be spread out moreevenly and can be shaped to fit between things. The plastic is brittle but if you take your time it can be removed with ease, i have actually put the original back in mine as i needed the new one for another project but have changed the coupling to a silicon tube link.

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2007, 07:53:16 pm »

A couple of pictures to show the stabilisers and how the superstructure lifts off to access the battery to remove.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2007, 09:01:06 pm »

Oh no you have got to be kidding Russell, now there is no way i am going to show you under my wheel house yours is far to tidy .
But i like the stabilisers , with that width it should be very stable .
daz

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2007, 09:12:08 pm »

Daz, the boat is very stable and even at a good speed on a full turn it stays bang upright.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2007, 09:36:26 pm »

loks like the fins are going for a fit cheers O0
daz

Mr Andy

« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2007, 07:39:34 pm »

I like the fins idea on the hull, when I first bought mine I tried to use it at the lake, but other radios made it impossible, I there fore went the way of everyone else and stripped it, I mounted all the radio gear on a small board on top of the now redundant water tank, but on it's first outing things went a bit wrong when while trying to get it in again it turned over. The boat has served me well since about March, untill a distinct lack of power forced me to get a new hull built larger than original, and hopefully ready at the beginning of 2008, I will keep you all informed.

Andy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.