Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem Dinner club !  (Read 3676 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Mayhem Dinner club !
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:57:17 pm »

As eating & drinking is probably our favourite pastime here's a board to chat about it!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Mayhem Dinner club !
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:52:03 pm »

I had a banana after my bike ride today. Does that count?  :o %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

davejo90

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 04:53:33 pm »

Can we advertise places we've eaten or drank in Martin?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 06:34:15 pm »

Sure!  ..... I had Fish & Chips for Lunch dinner today - Rumbles
  https://rumblesfishbaronline.com/

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

davejo90

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 06:38:30 pm »

Sure!  ..... I had Fish & Chips for Lunch dinner today - Rumbles
  https://rumblesfishbaronline.com/

Thanks

davejo90

Last of the Summer Wine outing
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 07:13:23 am »

Some friends and I, normally around 8 of us but obviously at the moment only 6 at one time, go out once every few weeks for some real ale and food on a Monday.

We went to Deal in Kent in September to the The Ship Inn for the beer. After that we went to the seafront and decided we would have fish and chips from Sea View Restaurant, well it was the best fish and chips I've ever eaten. The batter was crispy and the chips were the same but fluffy in the middle.

I was about to say I'll go back again but that obviously is not happening any time soon.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 07:15:50 am »

had Scouse and pickle for dinner. yum
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 07:16:28 am »

ps cannot give you a pic before I ate it, but theres always.......
full time penguin

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 10:49:49 am »

Hi

This is for me the best Fish and Chip shop on the East Cost

Aldeburgh Fish & Chip Shop, https://www.aldeburghfishandchips.co.uk
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 11:25:00 am »

had Scouse and pickle for dinner. yum

I take it that it was concocted from scrag end of mutton and any veggies that could be found.

LB

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2020, 04:03:21 am »

sure was, served thick, as in gloop. with fresh boiled beetroot and pickled red cabbage. Traditional recipe scrounged from a Liverpuddlian  friend
full time penguin

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 04:22:08 am »

According to our ABC there are a lot of wallabies loose in the U.K.  Better look up the recipe for wallaby stew.  %%

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 06:37:15 am »

lots around where I live. Whipsnade zoo is only 8 miles from me
full time penguin

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 11:08:38 am »

sure was, served thick, as in gloop. with fresh boiled beetroot and pickled red cabbage. Traditional recipe scrounged from a Liverpuddlian  friend

Lovely, as it should be - did you scrape off the fat as well?

LB

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 05:20:39 pm »

Cant beat a fresh Stotty cake thick ham and peas pudding or a savolyored  dip.
                                       Regard Howard.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 12:22:09 am »

Cant beat a fresh Stotty cake thick ham and peas pudding or a savolyored  dip.
                                       Regard Howard.
only the largest bits. It was slow cooked in the oven overnight and then during thr day, so virtually no fat left....until it goes cold
full time penguin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 09:43:39 am »

True scouse doesnt have a recipe. Its whatever meat and veg you can get at the time then as it is eaten more vegetables added. It lasted all week. You must have posh scouser mates!!!

Bob
(Born on the Everton Brow)
Officially a GOG.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 01:58:29 pm »

"Posh Scouser".   Hmmm.......  %) %)

Sorry Bob, couldn't resist.  And I confess I have never knowingly eaten scouse, although I have had stew in Liverpool.  How do you differentiate true scouse from any old meat stew?

Greg

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 03:21:57 pm »

True scouse doesnt have a recipe. Its whatever meat and veg you can get at the time then as it is eaten more vegetables added. It lasted all week. You must have posh scouser mates!!!

Bob
(Born on the Everton Brow)

This true on both counts I suppose, as I was born in a private nursing home in Waterloo and then moved to Woolton for a while before moving to the Wirral and, as I look out of my windows I have a good view of Everton Brow on this lovely clear autumn afternoon.

LB

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 08:17:43 pm »

The true and original lobscouse was made on board sailing ships. It was salt meat boiled with onions and pepper with crushed ships biscuits (hard tack) to thicken it. No other vegetables as they wouldn't be available after a few days out of port.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2020, 08:48:22 pm »

I didn't know what Everton Brow was LB....so checked with Mr Google ....is this your House?  {-)  ..

[the one in the foreground with the pointy roof]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 12:08:03 am »

I didn't know what Everton Brow was LB....so checked with Mr Google ....is this your House?  {-)  ..

[the one in the foreground with the pointy roof]

Derek

Ha ha, NO it's not my house as I reside on the other side of the river in much larger house, and as a red I'm more than a little miffed at your suggestion - now go and work that one out.

LB

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 06:00:10 pm »

Mmmm,

I can reccomend Bar 5 in Crewkerne for a super Beef steak chilli or a superb south Indian Chicken Curry, nice and coconutty as well as local ales and ciders from around Somerset and dipping into Dorset.

For the best pub Sunday Roast, I reccomend that of The Muddled man Inn on West Chinnock in Somerset. The eat is usually carved thick, often has little or no fat/stringiness and the served vegetables are varied as are the accompaniments, sometimes cauli cheese, sometime rattatouille, sometimes anotther. Roast potatoes are not as good as my Aunties, which are legendary. Lord and the apostles would have had them at the last supper if 1. They knew what spuds were, and 2. I my aunty was alive then. The plates have no edge visible so you know the large plate will be filling  %%

They also do some fine steaks and their ales are always kept well and there are always (outside of COVID) three different ones, usually a light, a medium and a dark depending on your tastes. They also serve Tarka which is a local lager.

A nice recipe to try.

Chorizo casserole; serves three with rice
Dice a hunk ( 1.5x1.5inch of chorizo sausage, chop a large leek, chop a red pepper, chop a large steak tomato (Jack Hawkins are tasty and frankly relevant to our hobby given how often he acted Navy roles!) Nob of lard, some paprika small head of broccoli (cos you like your greens prefferably covered in gravy!)

Melt lard and Fry the sausage in a large saucepan. When well sweated, add the leeks and fry for a bit more. Add red peppers and fry for a bit more and then add the tomato, crumble in two beef oxo cubes and a vegetable one, add the paprika, broccoli and enough boiling water to cover the solid ingredients plus a bit.

Add a little tomato puree, ground pepper and a little sugar to balance the tartness of the chorizo, pepper and tomato. Bring to boil and simmer for some time (usually until you are really hungry) then mix three teaspoons of cornflower with COLD water and add to simmering saucepan and stir until it is unctuous. Cook for another five minutes to cook out the cornflower and then serve on rice like a curry.

Another recipe for christmas... Christmas dinner casserole

Peel and slice potatoes, score with a knife both sides and fry in some oil or fat until golden brown.

Fry a pack of turkey mince with chopped onions until golden, then add a chicken oxo cube and a little boiling water so you can then create an integral gravy thickened with a teaspoon of cornflower mixed with COLD water and simmer until it looks cooked.

Prepare a packet of stuffing in a casserole dish and bake in the oven as per the destructions.

prepare a packet of bread sauce as per instructions. (You can stir this whilst you wait for the mince-onion-gravy to cook through )

Remove casserole dish from oven, sniff stuffing and go ahhhhh  :-))  add some of the bread sauce and spread it about as a layer, Add half the cooked mince then another layer of bread sauce, then the remaining mince and then the remaining sauce.

Lay the potato slices on the sauce as a top layer and pop in the oven for half an hour just to make sure everything is spot on and oozy and bubbly and then serve with sprouts. You can add ribbons of streaky bacon with the potatoes and stuffing as well if you feel flush.

(The sprouts are not optional as they are part of Christmas and offset the alcohol consumption! )

I prepare it in early December as a pre Christmas treat for dinner during the first or second week)

Lastly for now:

Cabbage, bacon and onions.

Rough chop an onion, slice rashers of bacon and 1/3rd of a cabbage (savoy is best because the crinkly leaves hold more water.)

Pop a small amount of oil in a frying pan and heat it up.

put the bacon in and get it frying nice and hot, then after a bit, add the onions and sweat down. Add some nutmeg or similar tangy spice (Cinnamon is too sweet and Turmeric just makes things yellow) Then in a colander rinse the cabbage thoroughly and dump in the pan to gat a good hiss and then sweat down stirring into the bacony-oniony yumminess. cook until the cabbage is as soft as you like, but don't boil it until it surrenders!

I have had it as an accompaniment to a meat pie and chips, it isn't bad with new potatoes though I am not sure mint and onion work so well together, so maybe avoid the mint on this occasion.

if you use less cabbage, you can add a vegetable oxo cube and some water and then work up a sauce adding the obligatory cornflower mixed with COLD water.

Finally, here's a ditty that might help you if there is still mains on the table when dessert has been served:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eh72REd_s

Pond weed is your enemy

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2020, 07:29:33 pm »

Denmark is closing more and more down due to Covid-19, many people is at home, home teaching the kids, loosing money ect. But we are both working 100% (Healthcare / medical device industry).
But found some time to prepare 38h smoky finger licking spicy ribs (did a batch of 9 slabs when the smoker were up and running)

My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

davejo90

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2020, 08:29:39 am »

Denmark is closing more and more down due to Covid-19, many people is at home, home teaching the kids, loosing money ect. But we are both working 100% (Healthcare / medical device industry).
But found some time to prepare 38h smoky finger licking spicy ribs (did a batch of 9 slabs when the smoker were up and running)

They look delicious
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.