Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invictus of Allington...sort of  (Read 4952 times)

davejo90

Invictus of Allington...sort of
« on: November 03, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »

Hi all,

The build has begun. It's not a kit so it will probably take a while to build. I have said in the subject heading that it's "...sort of". The reason I've said that is because although the build is taken from the plan I have extended the length by 140mm to make it near enough 900mm when it's completed.

Here are the first photos.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Invictus of Allington...sort of
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 06:09:51 pm »

Hi Dave, should be an interesting build is this to be a static or sailing model, and is there a reason for 140mm extension, enjoy your build  :-))

Joe.

davejo90

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 06:42:42 pm »

Hi Dave, should be an interesting build is this to be a static or sailing model, and is there a reason for 140mm extension, enjoy your build  :-))
Joe.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the comments.

It will be for sailing. As I have been on a narrowboat holiday last year I wanted the build to resemble the boat we were on. It was a 60ft and had more windows. That's about it really.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 06:57:23 pm »

Sounds a good enough reason to me, the boat you had on holiday has obviously inspired this model, I look forward to seeing it come together. :-))

Joe.

davejo90

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 04:03:31 pm »

I have now cut out the bulkheads, as you can see below, but now I have a problem.

On the plan it looks like bulkhead '4' is meant to be cut shorter than the others and I cannot see any reason why. Could someone cast there eyes over the plans please and tell me if they think it would be OK to leave it so it's like 1,2,3?

It has just occurred to me that maybe all the bulk heads should be cut that size and in photo 1 and the section at the bottom is actually the base; if that is true why doesn't it show the cut line on bulkheads 1,2,3?

I know when you look at the photos you'll see that I have 5 bulkheads that's because I've made the model longer, but as the plan says '4' we'll stick to '4' for the purposes of this question.

None of the parts are glued yet they're just sitting on the base at the moment.

Photo1

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 04:42:03 pm »

The way I read the side view is no 4 is not actually cut short, it's a centre line view and there is a vertical slot for the shaft you have done a hole instead so no problem.

Joe

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 07:31:24 pm »

Bulkhead 4 is the same depth as the rest, the drawing doesn't show the cut lines on the others but the bottom rectangle is the hull bottom. It is drawn with lines through it to represent wood grain. 4 probably has the edge markings as it is not the full width at the bottom as it has to be narrower to allow for the hull sides curving in to the stern. There is only a hole for the shaft, not a slot.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

davejo90

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2020, 07:10:08 am »

Thanks everyone for your help.

By your answers looks like by pure accident I've so far done it the right way, except my bulkheads go to the bottom of those drawings which should not make any difference other than the boats will be taller.

davejo90

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 09:20:10 am »

more works been done.

Stringers and prop support now fixed

initial bow work bottom layers - this was 2 laminations of 1/32" ply

start of the stern build, this wasn't very clear in the plans and also the photos I have of the original build are not a lot of help either, so the build is my interpretation of how it should be.

cabin stringers and more bow work done

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 11:34:05 am »

Sometimes it's more fun to do what you think, and as far as I can see you're doing OK Dave   :-))

Joe.

davejo90

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 12:33:05 pm »

Sometimes it's more fun to do what you think, and as far as I can see you're doing OK Dave   :-))

Joe.

Thanks Joe

davejo90

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 09:34:50 am »

I decided to put of a bit of artistic license into the build so I'm adding wooden decking effect at the bow

davejo90

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 10:20:04 am »

More work done over the last week.

I've completed the hull. Created the cabin structure ready for covering. Planked the stern deck to match the front. The stern deck is removeable to get to the rudder linkage from the servo. I made the tiller from 2.5mm solid brass. To bend it I used an old piece of flat wood cut and drilled some 10mm dowel and cold bent it round the dowel to shape. It was suggested that the brass is heated first but I tried it out cold and it seems to have worked OK.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 02:05:25 pm »

Coming along nicely Dave.

At some point I can see me building a narrowboat. My sister and husband have a full-sized one and she has dropped hints as she is interested in dolls houses as well and wants one to fit out. My brother and his wife have one as well.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

davejo90

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 05:42:21 pm »

Thanks Chris. I've made a few dollshouses mainly so the wife can raffle them for the school or good causes.

davejo90

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 09:17:39 am »

Progress is now slower as golf has returned and I'm having to drive Miss Daisy around Kent for shopping.

But I have now cut the sides and the windows and portholes

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2020, 10:10:42 am »

Interesting build Dave, coming along nicely  :-))

Joe.

davejo90

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2020, 10:13:17 am »

Interesting build Dave, coming along nicely  :-))

Joe.

Thanks Joe

davejo90

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2020, 10:43:19 am »

I've cut out and fixed the sides to the cabin and cut out the windows and port holes. Next is fix the roof and then painting.

davejo90

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2021, 02:23:41 pm »

I've now given it the second primer coat after initial filling. The filler has reacted with the primer or visa versa. The primer is oil based and the filler was an acrylic one from Halfords 'Holts Cataloy Knifing Putty 100g' which I thought would be great for it. I'm guessing I should have used a standard fine filler. Oh well you live and learn.

davejo90

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 01:12:08 pm »

It's finally finished.

The only thing I'm not happy with is the decals on the cabin. I tried to feather in some neat Gloss Cote around the edges to try and get rid of them showing before I gave it it's final 2 coats, it seemed to work immediately after I did it but after it had all dried the edges of them are still visible. I could remove them and repaint those areas but to be honest I can't be bothered for the amount of work it will take.

At least I have now learnt that the type you soak off in water before applying them would have been better.

It's had it's bath test the ensure there are no leaks and I made up small sealed bags of sand to put inside as ballast which works very well.

So tomorrow (Sunday 11th April) I am going to take it to Kearsney Abbey near to us and try it out on the water. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 04:18:26 pm »

Wonderful workmanship!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 07:23:10 pm »

Looks good in the blue livery!  Nice change from the frequent green I see on-line for narrowboat models.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 10:00:45 pm »

My Brother lives on a 70ft ex hire boat on the River Lee near Stansted Abbots. His is a very similar blue to that. A retirement project is to build a model of his.
Jim

RST

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 08:17:28 am »

I just saw the ebay ad.  How come you're selling it already?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.