Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powering receivers using BEC from the ESC  (Read 1437 times)

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Powering receivers using BEC from the ESC
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:17:38 pm »

I'm about to start a new build and it looks like things have moved on a bit since I built my last RC model - which used a Mtroniks Viper 15 and a Planet T5 tx/rx.  In that model I have the ESC connected to channel 1 and use the BEC in the ESC to power the receiver - all good.  But looking at different makes of transmitters and receivers, got me to wondering whether a receiver would be powered from the ESC's BEC if connected into ANY channel ? (Although I guess in most systems, throttle is typically channel 1 anyway)

Also, what are people's thoughts now on using BEC from an ESC?  Is it preferable to have a separate power supply for the receiver?  My new model will be using a 12v SLA with an Mtroniks Viper 20 driving a MFA Torpedo 800 motor, would there be sufficient power for the receiver and rudder servo?

Many thanks in advance for any help !
Riverside Models Narrowboat
Mountfleet Models Danny Boy

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Powering receivers using BEC from the ESC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:10:17 pm »

I don't think things have moved on as much as you suspect.  There are still loads of models (including most of mine) driving around with the simple setup you describe.  I doubt you will have any problem with your new model with the kit you are using.  And yes, the supply from the ESC will work whichever Rx channel you plug the ESC into.  The power line is common across all the Rx pins.

The time you might want to consider a separate battery for your Rx is when you have a complex setup of multiple drive motors/ESCs, a mixer unit, or any other additional hardware in the electrical circuit.  But for the moment, rejoice in simplicity!

Greg

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:24:33 pm »

Thanks Greg - and Stan, (with whom I had a lovely chat and learned more about building as well as the electronics  :-) ). 
Riverside Models Narrowboat
Mountfleet Models Danny Boy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 06:52:44 pm »

Hope all goes well with your build. The radio and electronics if kept simple will soon drop into place. I have enclosed a link to my Schutze build look at page 8 this shows some of the electronics fitted.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40665.175.html 

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 08:25:07 pm »

The BEC on the Mtroniks Viper 20 is capable of delivering 1.2A to the receiver. This is more than enough to power the receiver and a single standard servo. If you intend to use a high powered digital servo for rudder then go with a separate power supply as they could draw more current thaN THIS UNDER LOAD.
jIM
Dundee Model Boat club

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 11:07:22 am »

Hi
( looking at different makes of transmitters and receivers, got me to wondering whether a receiver would be powered from the ESC's BEC if connected into ANY channel ? (Although I guess in most systems, throttle is typically channel 1 anyway))

On some of my boats I have tank steering, and have had the BEC ESC on one or the other channel so far it has worked O.K, also on one boat I have a stand alone BEC and that is in channel 8

Hope that this is of some help

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 04:34:04 pm »

Power and ground are common on all channels on a receiver, only the signal pins are discrete.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.