Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Solent Spear - Has anyone built a model of one?  (Read 10133 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Solent Spear - Has anyone built a model of one?
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2021, 06:38:24 pm »

Hi Bob

Thinking some more about it I'm guessing that if it was a Spear then the cabin would be in plastic rather than timber? If so it makes the decision what to do with it easier!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2021, 06:47:50 pm »

You may be right Chris, but if anyone has a better picture of the MFA Spear I would really like to see it as I cannot be certain (from what I can see on this box-lid  picture) if this is a model boat that was built from an MFA kit or not and the picture suggests that the "box-like" structure is made from wood.

This box lid also shows a tantalising glimpse of six smaller pictures of the model in action - but I just cannot see them clearly - so if anyone has some clearer copies of these pictures they would be very interesting to see.

Also, any of the model boat magazines that may have done a build review of this model (or even printed an advertisement showing the MFA Spear)  would also be very helpful to see as well.

I would hate to destroy a rare vintage model (my guess is that this kit is "rare" because it is so ugly that it would not have sold very well!) by using the hull or by converting it to a nicer model of a Fairey Spear.

As I have a few other things "on the go" at the moment  I will not be doing anything to this model for some time,  so I am hoping that some further information such as good pictures of a completed model/advertisments/magazine articles will throw up some more information that my internet search has failed to uncover.

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2021, 10:03:00 pm »

You may be right Chris, but if anyone has a better picture of the MFA Spear I would really like to see it as I cannot be certain (from what I can see on this box-lid  picture) if this is a model boat that was built from an MFA kit or not and the picture suggests that the "box-like" structure is made from wood.

This box lid also shows a tantalising glimpse of six smaller pictures of the model in action - but I just cannot see them clearly - so if anyone has some clearer copies of these pictures they would be very interesting to see.

I'm absolutely certain that your model was built from the, exceedingly rare, MFA "Spear" kit.  :-))

I'd been watching the model on eBay and the seller, quite some time ago, offered it to me at quite a discount from the listing price. I didn't purchase it because I already have too many projects (apparently :)

I do have some old MFA catalogues somewhere so will see if I have some better reference, don't hold your breath though as I just don't have the time currently...

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2021, 10:39:13 pm »

I'm absolutely certain that your model was built from the, exceedingly rare, MFA "Spear" kit.  :-))

I'd been watching the model on eBay and the seller, quite some time ago, offered it to me at quite a discount from the listing price. I didn't purchase it because I already have too many projects (apparently :)

I do have some old MFA catalogues somewhere so will see if I have some better reference, don't hold your breath though as I just don't have the time currently...

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I am pleased (in a way) that this is a genuine and rare MFA Spear, but it kind of puts the brakes on my plans to improve it and to make it look more like the real thing.

If I did "improve" it there would be even less originals left in circulation, but some of the details on mine may not have been built "as per kit instruction" (such as the front cabin roof) and may need correcting to improve the appearance in any case?   I have no idea really - hence the search for some more info.

Any extra pictures or information would be good - and you are the man with the Vintage info!

Any pictures of the "real thing" would be good too as there is nothing to be found about them on the net.

Stay safe,

Bob.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2021, 12:14:53 am »

Hi Zooma
I look at that bucket but he would not post to Australia.
Only the hull was passable.

Canabus

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2021, 08:28:28 am »

Bob, as far as the real thing is concerned, have a look here and there are two brochures:

Spear and Spearfish - The Fairey Marine Hull Production Archive (google.com)

These might give you some ideas of how it should look.
The mk1 brochure, has some side line views which could help if you are thinking of remaking the wheelhouse.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2021, 09:52:11 am »

Thanks Mark,

I am pleased (in a way) that this is a genuine and rare MFA Spear, but it kind of puts the brakes on my plans to improve it and to make it look more like the real thing.

Bob.

Hi Bob - I did, rather rashly and not having seen pictures, assume that the model you've just purchased was the one that I'd spotted some time ago on eBay.

However, having just checked my ebay account, I notice that that particular model is still for sale. What are the chances of two being available...

Here's the current listing:  Fibreglass Model Boat

Because I'd been watching it, and it has been listed for several weeks, the seller offered it to me at substantially less than it is listed for currently.

I will search through my early MFA catalogues when I get a chance and see if I can find further reference for you...

Mark
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2021, 10:21:12 am »

Bob, as far as the real thing is concerned, have a look here and there are two brochures:

Spear and Spearfish - The Fairey Marine Hull Production Archive (google.com)

These might give you some ideas of how it should look.
The mk1 brochure, has some side line views which could help if you are thinking of remaking the wheelhouse.

Will

Thanks Will,

I have downloaded and printed copies of these brochures  - they are full of information that I could not find anywhere else.

The real life Spear is a much better looking boat than the MFA kit suggests that it should look like  (assuming that my model is the genuine MFA Spear that we believe to to be) .

I actually think that the Mk1 Spear and the Mk2 Spear are both attractive looking boats.  The Mk1 has a more "classic" look and the Mk2 is a more modern all moulded GRP  patrol boat that also has its own appeal.

My eBay purchase has opened some new doors for me - the Spear is not an ugly duckling after all - and a Mk1 Spear could be made into a very attractive model boat using the information that I now have to refer to.

Many thanks - Bob.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2021, 10:22:15 am »

Mark - interesting.  Obviously the owner doesn't know what it is and with that description won't be picked up by many folks. Also many would think it was a Spearfish that someone had grafted a raised enclosed cockpit on not knowing about the MFA Spear, as many of us didn't, myself included.

Will - I'd forgotten about that resource, some really useful information there. The Faun that will be one of my next builds is also there.

Chris 
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2021, 10:39:36 am »

Hi Bob - I did, rather rashly and not having seen pictures, assume that the model you've just purchased was the one that I'd spotted some time ago on eBay.

However, having just checked my ebay account, I notice that that particular model is still for sale. What are the chances of two being available...

Here's the current listing:  Fibreglass Model Boat

Because I'd been watching it, and it has been listed for several weeks, the seller offered it to at substantially less than it is listed for currently.

I will search through my early MFA catalogues when I get a chance and see if I can find further reference for you...

Mark

The model I have is based on a Mk 2 Spearfish and I think the one that you refer to looks like it is based on a Mk 1 Spearfish and has had an additional fishing platform added on top of the cab roof.

It would be interesting to find out if MFA only made the one variant based on the Mk1 Spearfish kit. This model has a one piece lift-off top and makes access to the internals much easier.

My model is a Mk 2 and the builder has added a large roof hatch to the front cabin to be able to gain access to the motor.  I am thinking that my boat is not an original MFA Spear and if so it would make an ideal "doner" as a base for a "closer to scale" replica to be made - and this also resolves my hesitation to spoil a rare collectors model as it is probably not an MFA Spear.

Your MFA references could finally confirm this of course, but at the moment I am thinking that my Spear is a "freelance" model based on a Mk2 Spearfish.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2021, 11:00:15 am »

Hi Lads
I think MFA try to market the Solent from the Mark2 kit from what I found, but boy they got it wrong !!!

This boat has been on sale for over two years and I thought it was personal add on!!!

It a rare kit, but, not right and over priced!!!

Canabus

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2021, 02:10:21 pm »

75301E15-3952-4517-875B-2D7A10D47040.jpg

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2021, 02:16:25 pm »

My first attempt at up-loading a picture has produced a bit of a monster!

It is a picture of the "Spear" that I have just bought (pictures originally taken from the eBay listing).

I copied the picture from my iMac onto the Mayhem album and imported it - but how do I shrink it to a more manageable size?

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2021, 02:36:39 pm »

Hi Zooma

I normally resize images to 650px wide, and keep the aspect.  I use Windows, but someone may be able to recommend a quick resizing tool for the Mac.

Best regards
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2021, 02:54:33 pm »

The model I have is based on a Mk 2 Spearfish and I think the one that you refer to looks like it is based on a Mk 1 Spearfish and has had an additional fishing platform added on top of the cab roof.

It would be interesting to find out if MFA only made the one variant based on the Mk1 Spearfish kit. This model has a one piece lift-off top and makes access to the internals much easier.

My model is a Mk 2 and the builder has added a large roof hatch to the front cabin to be able to gain access to the motor.  I am thinking that my boat is not an original MFA Spear and if so it would make an ideal "doner" as a base for a "closer to scale" replica to be made - and this also resolves my hesitation to spoil a rare collectors model as it is probably not an MFA Spear.

Your MFA references could finally confirm this of course, but at the moment I am thinking that my Spear is a "freelance" model based on a Mk2 Spearfish.

Given that there are so few about and obviously not many were sold I doubt that MFA would have deemed it viable to bring out a Mk. II version and agree with you that it is an adapted Spearfish.

As said a better built version of the Spear would make a nice pair with a Spearfish.

And I thought I was  a Fairey fanatic!

Chris

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2021, 02:58:03 pm »

Looks a bit of an ugly one Bob! But under the wheelhouse and Police signs even I (with my short time on here) noticed it was a Fairey of sorts. Since joining this forum I have started to quite like the look of the Faireys (full size and models). Perhaps I shall try to build one from a plan in the future. Or buy an old vintage and tinker.... %%

I saw that on eBay and thought it might have been a crude home made addition to an otherwise reusable boat. I decided that I have more than enough to do with my single boat let alone start adding to my collection and wondered if you might give it a good home.  {-)

I tend to email back to myself on my iPhone any pics to upload as I then get the option to reduce resolution as I try to send it. However half the time they seem squashed or wide like yours so I wouldn’t worry. We can scroll left and right to take in all the details!
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2021, 03:37:03 pm »

Looks a bit of an ugly one Bob! But under the wheelhouse and Police signs even I (with my short time on here) noticed it was a Fairey of sorts. Since joining this forum I have started to quite like the look of the Faireys (full size and models). Perhaps I shall try to build one from a plan in the future. Or buy an old vintage and tinker.... %%

I saw that on eBay and thought it might have been a crude home made addition to an otherwise reusable boat. I decided that I have more than enough to do with my single boat let alone start adding to my collection and wondered if you might give it a good home.  {-)

I tend to email back to myself on my iPhone any pics to upload as I then get the option to reduce resolution as I try to send it. However half the time they seem squashed or wide like yours so I wouldn’t worry. We can scroll left and right to take in all the details!

Hi Stuw,

If you fancy building a Fairey from plan I strongly recommend that you start with a 1/12 scale Swordsman.

It makes a nice size of model at 33" long - only 6" shorter than your Javelin - but still big enough to use in any water conditions that you would use the Javelin in - it may even be even more capable! (I raced my 1/12 scale Swordsman off-shore !).

The Swordsman builds easily and makes a good first "build from plan" model to take on. It was the first model boat that I ever built back in the 1960's.

New plans for the Phillip Connolly Swordsman can be bought online from Sarik and Aerokits plans can still be found from time to time on eBay. Both make the same size model.

The Aerokits version has a fixed superstructure with access via the removable cabin tops and the Phillip Conolly plans build a model with a complete lift-off superstructure that give unparalleled access as it only sits on the deck, and these plans also come with the drawings for the bulkheads etc.

The Aerokits plans are those that would have been included in the kit box so they have no details of bulkheads etc so you need to work them out for yourself..........or borrow my cereal packet templates that I have used to build mine from !  ;)

Finding a secondhand Swordsman to "tinker with" will not be easy.  They are highly prized performers that are seldom seen for sale anywhere.

BTW - my new Spear is NOT a "bit of an ugly one"........it is a very ugly one .............but I like it, and I will like it even more after I have made a few changes!

Stay safe,

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2021, 08:57:53 pm »

Yes, they did  :-))
Although, to be fair, it was a fairly crude adaptation of their popular Spearfish model...
Hope this helps.
Mark

I may well have just acquired one of these ugly (but original) monstrosities  :police: :police:

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2021, 10:00:43 am »

Does anyone have one of the original boxes for this MFA Spear kit by any chance?

I don’t especially want a box, but I would like to see some clear photos of the pictures shown around the box of the finished boat as it would be a very helpful reference.

Does anyone know if MFA included the regular Spearfish building instructions in the Spear kit - but perhaps printed some additional instructions for the Spear kit? These would be good to see and read!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2021, 12:54:29 pm »

You are in luck Bob.

A chap has recently started building a Spear kit on RCGroups/Boats/Scale Boats.

Chris

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2021, 01:36:45 pm »

You are in luck Bob.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris - I will try to find that site and take a look  :-))

............found the site and the article thanks Chris - I will follow the kit build with interest!

Bob.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2021, 10:23:56 pm »

You are in luck Bob.

Chris

Another build blog to subscribe to. Cheers Chris.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

zooma

• Full Mayhemer

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2021, 10:30:48 pm »

Thank you Bob.

Always good to see other peoples take on a Fairey.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2021, 07:42:30 am »

Hi All

Well I made the full windscreen for a start using the Spearfish windscreen, only higher and a longer.

Used 2mm clear Perspex/ Plexiglass/Acrylic

I think it look better than the MFA one .

Canabus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.