Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: CAP Sizan Lobster Sloop  (Read 4352 times)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
Re: CAP Sizan Lobster Sloop
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2020, 08:17:42 pm »

ok just an update on progress lads .
Obtained the 1.5 mm ply and that  I will  epoxy to the deck beams once it arrives from over the pond .
Been spending a lot of time and knuckle skin making the blocks , and my good lady has taken pity on me and bought me a small belt sander to fit on the bench for Xmas , so should be able to grow some new skin for my knuckles soon  :-)

The Bain of my life [ the servo operation] has reached a point of despair and on closer inspection whilst in operation it seems as if the servo is trying to drag it through the deck  >:-o  this appears to be aggravated by a 2mm shaft in a 4mm aperture  which is being bent in every direction and now seems the best time to resolve this item prior to the deck being fitted and then planked , so time to bite the bullet and I have ordered a 45mm x 4mm prop shaft case with a 230mm prop shaft which the later will be used to pivot the rudder once shaped and cut to size and epoxy in place , the reason being to ease the turning of the rudder shaft by restraint in the bronze bushes of the prop shaft outer casing rather than the 2m shaft which was feed down the opening and into the top of the angled rudder devoid of any casing as far as I have been able to find .and bends the shaft

I have remade the rudder to make it slightly broader as most club members advised that it was to narrow to be of much use so took their advice , as this does not look to be a 5 minute build .

I am toying with Gregs suggestion of fitting a metal sleeve on the bottom of the keel which is not very broad ./ thick

I have wondered about fitting a couple of S/S eyes which has more wood inside the hull rather than the 10mm exposed beneath the planking.   or     epoxying a hardwood plinth to it to give me more to work with...... any experience of this idea  Gentleman ?   

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2021, 10:19:52 pm »

Progress being made and the hull nearly completed , and just started to fit the masts and standing rigging which is an education in itself  to one who knows nothing about a sailing set up .

Can any of you offer any advice about determining how long a keel extension should be and any guidance on construction which may help .
I am NOT on the water yet but I try to look at the bigger picture prior to arriving there to try and plan ahead where possible

I have already fitted a 230mm length of steel box section to the existing keel , blanked off the ends and fitted it into the wooden keel at two points with stainless steel screws and epoxy resin , having sited it on the centre line at the balance point fore and aft so confident that it should not adversely affect its balance other than lowering it closer to the known water line mark .

Not sure wether to use a rod or a sheet profile yet but fairly open minded about it ........any comments please ?

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2021, 07:26:36 pm »

Any one have any bright ideas about changing servo control lines in brass tubes  please ?

When I took possession of this part built model the blue and white stripped line which has been in there for 12 years needs replacing but this particular pipe is coiled and bent in two places and I am not confident in attempting changing it over .

The fore Sail and the front sail I have already done successfully but apprehensive in tackling the mainsail one which is housed in a brass tube 1.5 mm internal diameter 300mm long with two coiled ends .....any help gratefully received please

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2021, 06:18:29 pm »

Ivor, I confess I don't fully understand your last two posts.  I can imagine your steel box section under the keel, but have you left it hollow inside while sealing the ends?  If so, you are negating some of the benefit, as that trapped air is buoyant and will act against the ballasting effect of the steel.  At the very least you should allow water into the steel tube, and ideally the piece you attach should be solid.  Or fill the tube with something denser than water.  I also imagine you are fitting fairing pieces at each end of the tube to blend into the keel line rather than having a square blanked-off end facing the flow of water?

As for replacing the servo lines, are the old ones still in place?  If so, carefully superglue the end of the new line to the end of the old, and use the old line to pull the new one through.  Just overlap the lines by a small amount and keep the ends well glued to prevent fraying and snagging, and take it gently.  If this fails, or the old lines aren't in place anymore, I suggest some thin flexible wire such as fishing trace wire, which you should be able to push through the tubes and around the bends, then attach the new lines as before and pull through.

Hope that helps a bit.  If you still need help, can I suggest posting a couple of pictures of the offending parts as it makes it much easier to diagnose the problems.

Happy modelling!

Greg

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2021, 07:22:49 pm »

Hi Greg nice to hear from you  glad your still around and hope you remain that way
Yes you are right and the box section does flood , my query was more towards gauging the minimum length that would help avoid swamping the boat and if there was a formula by which you could gain an insight as to parameters ..or to just get it wet and gauge visually what was needed .

Pictures are where me and technology fail to Jell sadly      .....otherwise I could show you what I was trying to describe , and my progress to date  %)

I will try your suggestion re the replacement of control lines , again if I could show you it would be much easier ......the pipe is not unlike the shape of the reproductive genitals of a drake .....hence the issue , but it will try your suggestion

Just started fitting the standing rigging , which having no knowledge of sailing terminology is in itself a voyage of discovery , but I will brave the abuse of my fellow club members before I attempt sailing this craft

Thank you for looking in Greg and for your assistance here .

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2021, 07:38:58 pm »

Yes I'm still alive lads , and have managed to "float my boat" now and am bitten by the sailing bug .

I took Gregs advice and fashioned a drop keel fitting which worked very well indeed and with the help of another member of many years took to the water and had a wonderful sail around the club lake .
Like most models It will never be finished as minor changes / improvements are the order of the day .

I have yet to fit the top sail but I will wait until I have mastered the current rig , and confidently handle the model , as the highest wind I have sailed in to date is 7 MPH gusting to 9    in which she sailed very well and now I have accepted that " Pellew" is not a racing yacht , but a robust French  scale fishing boat and very pleased with her , just still curious as to how she will handle with the top sail fitted and if she maintains her sailing charm or wether she will scare me to death or threatens to sink  {:-{ .

I would like to find another period scale model sailing boat to build , but have not been able to locate one that could be adapted for R/C rather than a display model , but I will just keep looking .

All things considered I have no regrets and enjoy this more sedate passage over the water , just need to polish up on my skill sets ......thanks for looking in .......Ivor .

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2021, 02:25:18 pm »

Here is Ivor's model sailing at Cawcutts Lake, Cambridge this morning.

Barrie

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 12:53:56 am »

I have watched this re-build commencing November 2020 and am particularly interested in the steerage  O0

Does the Tiller [rudder arm] move according to the rudder servo movement?
Does the Helmsman/Skipper] move or slide with the tiller
Is the rudder to Tiller arm a 1:1 ratio?.......
I understand the inclined angle of the rudder Pintal may have caused some concern

She looks superb on the water Ivor  :-))  you should be proud, & am sure she sails well on calm seas

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2021, 07:36:37 am »

Good Morning Derek , Thanks for looking in .

No not yet , for two reasons :-

1/ until I saw how much water would be sloping around I was reluctant to introduce any further openings ,
2/ I had so many issues trying to get the linkage aligned that I just wanted steerage without the servo trying to sink the boat  {:-{

Now sorted out and works fine , but with a couple of pulleys and some line its easy enough to fit in , but as I said I just wanted to get it working well enough to risk putting on the lake with a reasonable chance of recovery , which it now does after increasing the rudder size substantially [ below ] and the fitting of the sailing keel which I made up out of an old dive weight and a brass sheet cut in a rough triangular shape .

Fair to say she is no "Greyhound of the seas " but she always comes home in one piece and very pleasant sailing .......enough to keep this Silver surfer happy anyway ........ :-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.