Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Rotterdam/London  (Read 3236 times)

hama

• Full Mayhemer
Smit Rotterdam/London
« on: November 13, 2020, 06:41:05 pm »

As I pulled out my Smit London to ad some fittings that hadn't been added over the past five or six years,  I googled for reference. I came by a General Arrangement plan and realized that I never knew what was down below on these big ocean going tugs. On the plan you could see big winches and probably storing reals for towing gear inside the tug. Anybody have any experience with these things as I'm curious of how this would work? What you see on deck is obviously only a fraction of what's carried on these tugs.
All the best!
Hama

RST

Re: Smit Rotterdam/London
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 11:45:44 pm »

Hi, going from the Pinterest GA I also was also quite surprised just how much was hidden in there to be honest!  It looks more like a heave compensated system n a DSV!

My experience offshore lies with pipelayers and DSV's rather than AHTS / salvage tugs but as a bckground in NA I noticed:
  • BIG drums forwards of midships probably for the big tow lines
  • Noticed the 4 pairs of drums and also on the profile they are staggered in height, i.e, the forwards one is higher than the aft one -that might mean they are what's called "waterfall winches".  They can be one of two:  Two separate winches and drums on a compact footprint, or both winches can operate in "capstan mode" with a separate storage drum
...Got to remember these guys are / were "big boys" in their time.  One winch (or more) for 1,000m of 50Te line, another for 100+Te line, another for back-up, more for less, another for back-up and remember for all the "big" lines, some form of "tugger" lines to handle them on-deck because thay are so big and heavy.  Double evertything up also.

Sorry, I'm not good on explaining to the newcomer on winches.  My experience is a bit more specific to different types.  However, I put a search into google and there is some rich pickings on this forum also to help explain towing and salvage winches.  There is a spec sheet on Taranis thread for Smit Rotterdam which gives some details on extra pumps installed for salvage etc.

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 09:56:50 am »

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it!
I've never worked in offshore myself, so really appreciate your input. I've had this model and built on it for years but never really thought about what she was equipped with and was surprised to find more or less a whole deck dedicated for towing gear. I do have a friend who worked on KL Saltfjord which was I believe considered to be one of the most powerful "tugs" when delivered and I'll have him take a look at the GA as well. By the way, it was the GA on Pinterest I saw too but can't seem to link to it here.
Hama

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 03:33:25 pm »

Found this, a bit blurry but really cool! You can see some of the towing gear inside both midship and astern.
Found it on Marine traffic.
Hama
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.