Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torpedo Boat Destroyer, HMS Daring, Stuart Sun steam Engines (restoration)  (Read 25779 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer

The propellers appear to be soldered, so as JimG questions ...'would it be possible?' to increase the pitch of the blades

Propellers for steam often have a ratio approaching 1.5 pitch to diameter...the propellers fitted to the vessel appear to be in the order of 0.7 pitch to diameter

Constructing a simple wooden jig to hold or clamp 'a single blade', then used in conjunction with a fixture [bench vice] could provide a relatively uniform adjustment to the pitch of each blade

An increase in pitch would place a greater load on the engines, reducing the engines speed, increasing thrust and running time

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

It would be interesting to know what the pitch of these props actually is; is there a way to find it out?
As it happens I have a four inch, four bladed Prop Shop, prop so have taken some photos of it besides HMS Darings 3 Blade props, this may or may not help the discussion about the pitch of the current props. How does its pitch of the 4 inch prop compare with the current 3 1/2 inch props?

DocMartin

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!

She looks fab on the water! Small scale steam does seem to be a great challenge that exercises the hobby, A chap wrote a series of articles in Model Boats back in the day where he built a metal model of Dreadnought and then installed dental drill air motors to use as steam turbines! I recall these having promise, but lacking power due again to lack of steam flow/pressure. I don't know how he got on as the articles were written about eight years ago.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer

I have all these articles and it was a very interesting and valiant attempt and an interesting concept using dental drills. I seem to recall whilst he got it working the steam consumption was high and he had to start them with a drill as they were not self starting. I suspect the internals of a dental turbine are very different from a steam turbine.

Back to the TBD - if you have a prop shop prop would it be possible to fit it on one side and see if produces more or less thrust/speed. It would then give a direct comparison under identical circumstances which may provide some guidance. If its on the port side and the model turns to starboard then it would suggest more thrust.

A friend of mine commented that the "Sun" engines are best suited for high speed so a smaller prop and higher revolutions may give a better result, trouble is if you go that route the steam consumption will be higher. I always think of a boiler as having so many "bites" of steam so if you use them slowly you get duration, if you use them fast you get speed but less duration!

I look forward to the next instalment with interest. Very well done indeed.

Cheers

Geoff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.