Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello and hopefully some advice on Milford Star or Boston Typhoon  (Read 2069 times)

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hello everyone!  My name is Tony and I am relatively new to modelling, having built a Riverside Models narrowboat (built from plywood throughout with no pre-formed hull and some planking for the bow) which I thoroughly enjoyed and got a great kick out of sailing it on a local canal!  So I have some experience of RC and components, happy enough to build another RC model. 

This time I am looking for something with some more detail and something that will keep me occupied throughout the winter months!  So, I am thinking about the Caldercraft Milford Star kit, although toying with the Mountfleet Boston Typhoon (which I appreciate is a lot larger model).  I love the look of both ships, but from what I have read on here and elsewhere, starting to feel a little anxious about the quality of plans and instructions for the Milford Star - maybe the Mountfleet Boston Typhoon would be an easier build for me?

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?  Maybe there is another kit that would be better for me?

Many thanks for reading, looking forward to hearing any comments 😀
Riverside Models Narrowboat
Mountfleet Models Danny Boy

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hello and hopefully some advice on Milford Star or Boston Typhoon
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 03:05:02 pm »

Looking at the Mountfleet "Danny Boy" now as a possible slightly easier model for me !

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:43:34 pm »

The Danny Boy is a nice looking boat and I built one around five years ago.
Over the years I built Mountfleet Bangarth, Puffer and Caldercraft Talacre and Customs Cutter Sentenel from Model slipways . All still in the Fleet , strong and admired by many.

I've since built the Mountfleet Clanity ... which is big and heavy... and more recently during lockdown the Caldercraft Milford Star.
All were very good kits - but the instructions and drawings from all companies did take some head-scratching and measuring more than once before committing.
I 'm currently building a Deans Dogboat which I managed to purchase untouched from e-bay for a bargain... Never built a Deans Kit before but again drawings and instructions are on par with other manufacturers which need patience and thought but I'm thoroughly enjoying the build and challenge. As many have stated on the forum, the amount of time spent on developing these kits must be phenomenal so I always allow for and forgive any  discrepancies which might occur. with parts and instructions 
With any kit I doubt if you'll find the part by part ease of build as reflected in the plastic kits from Airfix/Trumpeter/Italeri  and the like .

Take your time and enjoy the experience with whatever you decide to purchase...

Regards
Terry H

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:25:30 pm »

Hi Tony,
Never built any of them but sometimes the water you sail on could have a part in the decision. So if a canal, how far above the water are you to lower it in/get it out etc.
Good Luck with the decision!
 :-))

eternal422

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 11:48:52 am »

Thank you both for your thoughts and advice.  I’m planning on making use of the River Avon which is on our doorstep here in Bidford, but thankfully there are several places where you can get right down to the water’s edge so launching and retrieving the boat should not be a problem.  I remember needing two of us to lower and raise the narrowboat into the canal when I was sailing that, but still achievable.

I’ve taken the plunge and gone for “Danny Boy”, well my wife has bought it today as a Christmas gift for me (feeling blessed)!  I think as I’ve been working from home since March, she thinks I need something to keep me occupied in the evenings and weekends!

So, now on to deciding on the electronics for it!  Cornwall Model Boats have suggested an MFA Torpedo 800 motor, so presumably something like an Mtroniks Viper 20A ESC?  As a matter of interest, Terry, what motor and ESC did you use in your model?

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 10:52:59 pm »

Hello
I used exactly this set up in both Danny Boy and the Clanity... it gives a nice steady speed ( you don't want it to be planing) and the ESC is sufficient to overcome any stalling due to weeds.
I used a brass propeller the size of which was on par with the heavy cast one supplied , though at the relatively slow rpm you could get away with the white metal one if you balance it a little.

Enjoy the build .. this makes for a lovely model

Regards
Terry H

madboats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 07:59:44 pm »

Hi eternal                                                                                                                                                                Good choice i built one many years ago it is a nice build personally i didn't find it to taxing but i have built from plans and kits before. Instructions have been mentioned i feel they could supply more photos of the build at the moment i am on with Sir Lancelot i was lucky and found  a building blog on the model boats forum with lots of photos of the build so try to find a blog on Dannyboy good luck                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Regards madboats
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.